|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"You know when you're a monster... when you stand alone on top of the world with nothing left to destroy. Maybe I am not that monster yet maybe I am. I contemplate that every single day. I can stand on top of the world knowing my enemy has been defeated but does that make me the monster of his world? Who knows?"
—Mr. Thorn/Sonic the Hedgehog at the beginning of Chapter 21.
Entropy is a Sonic the Hedgehog Adventure/ Angst Fanfic by Experiment 282. Sonic questions himself with his relationship with Amy Rose after a series of dreams involving Amy look-a-likes lead him down a dangerous path to uncover an ancient conspiracy. Found here
The story begins with Sonic in a dream and for some reason keeps encountering people who look like Amy but aren't. He wakes up and finds an invite to Creams birthday party, where he meets up with Tails with some information on Muriel's Garden, situated somewhere in Holoska. They visit these ruins which starts off a very weird adventure on solving puzzles, finding artifacts, battling Abbadonia and Dr. Eggman as well as some other issues. From then on, it follows Sonic on a downward spiral as he's mentally tested and begins to have serious doubts about his heroic lifestyle. Especially now that he finds out Amy is dating Shadow, much to his surprise, as well as many other events that chip away at his sanity. He also meets the Femme Fatalex a trio of masked, leather clad Action Girls who work for GUN and are aiming in taking down the newest threat, the previously mentioned Abbadonia who is getting help from Dr. Eggman.
For a list of characters, go here
- Absurdly Sharp Blade: Mr. Thorn's Handsword cuts through buildings.
- Accidental Murder: Sonic murders the populace of Haren after being possessed by Mephiles.
- Action Girl: The Femme Fatalex, Amy and Rouge.
- If you can their real identities into account: Vanilla as Bazza and Amy as Olly.
- Adaptational Angst Upgrade: Sonic. Heck, he loses it, and actually turns evil as a result. To be blunt, he's worse than Shinji!
- Alphabetical Theme Naming: The Roses. You've got Amy Rose, her older sister, Dr. Asher Rose and their morally questionable mother, Supreme Commander Asmos Rose. In Chapter 24 we meet Andrew Rose and his wife Anise, as well as Aceste Rose.
- Ambiguously Gay: Cubot when his voice box is altered by Espio.
- Ambiguous Gender: Ni GHTS of course.
- And Zoidberg: The Burning Miles:
Hedgehog, Fox and...Probationary Agent.
- Another Dimension / Phantom Zone: The Tetherstorms.
- The Artifact: Or Artifacts which are a large part of the story.
- Arc Words:
- Do you like the colour red?
- In bated breath comes the child's flower, sowing seeds of chaotic order.
- You don't know what you've got until it's gone.
- (Bring) Order to Chaos.
- Audio Erotica: Moore Prower is said to have a voice similar to Morgan Freeman. The Femme Fatalex and Rouge swoon over it.
- Backstory: Bazza's history is explained as that she is a widow, and her husband died in service to GUN, and that she had one child.
- Bad Dreams
- Battle Discretion Shot: We never see the battle between Olly and Thork the Carbrute Cheiftain, according to the narration the battle was over before it even started.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Sonic and Amy run up Ice Cap and decide to wait out until to the sun rises, and continue to glimpse at the view around them. Sonic falls asleep on Amy's shoulder.
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil: Sonic.
- Better as Friends: Sonic's belief on his relationship with Amy. See Just Friends below.
- Betty and Veronica: Sonic as Betty and Shadow as Veronica.
- BFS: Mr. Thorn's Handsword. It slices buildings in half!!!
- Bigger Bad: Eggman. He finally threw away the Idiot Ball and actually merged with Abbadonia, who was intended to possess Amy.
- Big Bad: Abbadonia
- Big Damn Heroes: Big White appears in Chapter 15 to save Steampunk City From a falling Garden of Voi.
- Bizarre Puzzle Game: Both the Garden of Rosales and Hydrocity have these.
- Teamwork Puzzle Game: One of the puzzles in Hydrocity require standing on coloured square lights in order to proceed.
- Book Ends: "Do you like the colour red?"
- Bouquet Toss: Made for a good plan by Milo.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Ni GHTS seems to talk to the reader in chapter 16 for not particular reason.
Other than to confuse Sonic and Gabriel.
- Call Back: Prison Island.
- The Cameo: Hatsune Miku is a pinball machine simulator theme and Ulala is a DJ at Rob'os Club. In chapter 11 .
- Cannot Stand Them Cannot Live Without Them: Implied to the case with Sonic and Amy, but Sonic prefers to be in complete denial about it.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Whilst fighting Demons in an alternate dimension, Bazza somehow goes from talking about Neptune's chest Arc Reactor to her adopting another kid.
- Celebrity Is Overrated
- Character Focus: The story follows Sonic's journey and his progression of thought, dealing with his feelings and deconstructing personality.
- In C16 It switches to Action Girl Olly
- Chekhov's Gun: The Dream Catcher
- Childhood Friends: Prince Hayden and Morpheus
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Amy has lost this...but does show very small signs of it still.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Cubot and Neptune.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Invoked somewhat with several characters:
- White for Shizaru, light blue for Kikazaru, Yellow for Iwazaru and Green for Mizaru
- Purple for NiGHTS
- White for Shizaru, light blue for Kikazaru, Yellow for Iwazaru and Green for Mizaru
- Cool Big Bro: Milo Prower. If not to Tails then to Sonic, who has taken a liking to him
- Cool Old Lady: Muriel Rose Until The Reveal
- Cool Sword: The Sword of Visions:
It looked strange, with fangs and bones, twisted and contorted with the base and handle concealing a crimson jewel in a one eye socket demon skull.
- Crossover: Minor but part of a plot point Sonic and NiGHTS
- Cry Into Chest: Sonic ends up at Amy's apartment as he is exposed to Abbadonia's Fury and allows him to rest with her on her bed, letting him pain and anguish.
- Cryptic Conversation: Shizaru is loaded with these.
- Cyberspace: ARKINTRA Zone.
- Cycle of Hatred: Grey /Morpheus accuses GUN murdering his family. So he wants to murder Big Mama's.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Morpheus has a thing for EldritchAbominations. In the worst way imaginable.
- Dead Little Brother: Tails
- Deadpan Snarker: Sonic.
- Olly as well.
- Demon Slaying: The Heroes get to smash some demons in some parts of the story.
- Description Porn: Bazza loves weapons and robots and all things mecha.
- Not to mention the entire story, according from general reviewer consensus.
- Despair Event Horizon: Sonic
- Deus Ex Machina: Literal one with Big White coming out of nowhere to prevent the Garden of Voi from destroying Steampunk City.
- Disney Death: Neptune. How he came back is unexplained after being stabbed by Mephiles
- Dramatic Irony: Mr. Thorn /Sonic employs Bazza's bad puns against her after she fires a rocket at him and he destroys it with with his handdrill
Mr. Thorn: "You know what Bazza? SCREW YOU!"
- Dream Land: Sonic envisions his as an endless field for him to run on.
- Dreaming the Truth
- Dream Weaver: NiGHTS
Ni GHTS: I can show you the door, but you are the one who must walk through it.
- Dream Within a Dream
- Early-Bird Cameo: That gaunt fox in Chapter 12? It was Tails older brother Milo.
- The Ghostly figure in the same chapter? Turns out he is a Fox God.
- Elaborate Underground Base: Eggmans Kimmibot factory near the Ninja Village in the Garden of Sakura.
- Elders: Seem to be a Rosoideae Political group that have a need for power.
- Eldritch Abomination: Mr. Thorn.
- Erotic Dream: Sonic has one involving Amy. It involves a pole and lingerie...and himself tied to a chair.
- And another one whilst being knocked out... Although this was probably the climax out of all the other dreams due the sheer... intensity of it.
- Eternal Engine: The ARK.
- Evil Plan: Scratch and Grounder, Becoe and Decoe, and Orbot and Cubot set up a big one for Sonic.
- Face Heel Turn: Sonic the Hedgehog
- And from the looks of things Princess Elise
- That one's pretty much clarified.
- Evil Makeover: Both Sonic and Elise
- And from the looks of things Princess Elise
- Fallen Hero: Mr. Thorn/Sonic the Hedgehog
Mr.Thorn/ Sonic: I am someone who can no longer be helped. I've murdered thousands in the name of truth. And truth be told I am...tempted to murder more...I've succumbed to my rage and my sorrow. But...if I could...if I would...upon knowing Amy survived the attack on Central City, it gave me...regret...but... if she plans to kill herself, I feel that there is nothing worthy left in this world in getting the mantle. As the old saying goes, You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain."
- Fantastic Racism: The Rosoideaes (Pink Hedgehogs) questionable treatment of the Stupilites (Blue Hedgehogs)
- Femme Fatalex: Consists of Agent Mjöllnir or Olly, Agent Bazooka or Bazza and Agent Drainer. Sonic has trouble thinking of a nickname for her.
- Ends up as Brick Joke in Chapter 15:
Sonic*After Drainer gets rid of the AF Toxin* "Don't sweat it Dee...Rainer. Drainer..."
- It's lampshaded afterward.
- Fighting Your Friend: Sonic VS. KitsuneTails.
- Chapter 19: Femme Fatalex VS. Sonic.
- Flower From the Mountaintop. Sort of. Abbadonia's Roses can only be found in Muriels' Garden/Garden of Rosales, which is situated in Holoska within a circle of mountains. But many more are found around the Portal Entrances.
- Forgotten Birthday: The story starts off after Sonic wakes up from a weird ass dream and finds an invite to Creams Birthday.
- Foreshadowing: Amy's tarot cards have shown to quite accurate so far.
- Floating Continent: Garden of Voi/Space Greens Zone. Bonus points for it actually setting itself somewhat outside the atmosphere. Also, Angel Island.
- As of Chapter 15, the Garden of Voi has now settled into the empty chasm behind Steampunk City.
- Free-Fall Fight: Sonic and Bazza battle it out with Eggman's Robots this way in the Cold Oil Zone.
- French Maid: Lily the Maid.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Neptune does this multiple times in Chapter 19 against Mr. Thorn. From his chest too.
- Fridge Brilliance: Once you find out who Bazza is, some confusing things suddenly make a lot more sense. Especially around Vector and Vanillas wedding.
- Fun with Acronyms: SAI-001 mentions they are part of the Marginal Artificial Intelligence of the Ark.
- Gainax Ending: The story ends with everyone taking refuge at the Garden of Rosales, where Amy and Team Chaotix investigate the Temple of the Prophets again. Amy sees the Chaotix pierced against the wall through their hands and then sees a bright light that sends a cryptic message "Do you like the colour red?" before she falls unconscious.
- Girls Have Cooties: Charmy has this reaction towards having to kiss Cream on her birthday.
- God in Human Form: Implied in Chapter 11 where Knuckles touches the Master Emerald, which had been acting weird as of late, leading Knuckles to be temporarily possessed by an unknown entity that speaks in ancient Mobikian. The thing itself uses Knuckles an Avatar in retrospect.
- God Is Evil: The Demisune/Raphael
- God Is Good: Big White
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: Abbadonia has the bat wing variety.
- Mr. Thorn/Sonic has jetblack wings, thanks to the absorption of the Harpnoir Queen's own.
- Go Into the Light: Tails
- Ghost Town: Westopolis after GUN orders a strike team.
- Grand Theft Me: Abbadonia is attempting to take a new host.
- Gotta Catch Em All: The Artifacts.
- Hailfire Peaks: Cold Oil Zone. Starts off in an oil refinery facility in Holoska, then a descent down into a underground area that has a fight with Eggman's Egg Venom.
- Happily Married: Vanilla and Vector.
- Harping on About Harpies: The Harpnoirs in the Tetherstorms, lead by the Noir Queen.
- Heroic BSOD: Sonic after realizing he murdered an entire population by accident and Olly, after realizing who Mr. Thorn was.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tails
- Hurting Hero: Sonic
- I Just Want to Be Special: Amy.
- I Know You Are in There Somewhere Fight
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Mephiles preferred method of attack.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Bazza's shtick.
- Induced Hypochondria: Played straight at first in Chapter 16, then revealed to be subverting it all along.
- Insult Backfire: Doubles as Crowning Moment of Awesome
Big Mama: Intel Officer Milo Prower. AKA Deceptive Prick...
- Interspecies Romance: Vector(Crocodile) and Vanilla(Rabbit). and Knuckles(Echidna) and Rouge(Bat).
- Ironic Echo: Elise speaking about the White Necklace echoes her eventual Face Heel Turn.
Elise: "They say diamonds are a girls best friend! And this one is practically the devil in disguise!"
- It's All My Fault: Sonic still thinks this over Tails...um...death.
- I Will Protect Her: Sonic says he will protect Amy from Abbadonia's intention to possess her.
- Just Fine Without You: Amy appears to be rather independent, with a job and can kick ass by herself.
- Just Friends: Sonic's unshakable belief in response to his relationship with Amy. Even after Milo manages to get Sonic to realize that he's actually in love with her, he still swears by it. Milo points out the reasons for it.
- Killed Off for Real: Prince Hayden.
- Red Herring: His death was staged by Grey.
- Like Brother and Sister: Shadow and Rouge.
- Lady Drunk: Elise. She calls herself the Party Pilot Princess.
- Suggested by this:
Elise: I usually fall flat on the floor when I'm drunk! That way I'm numb...and its the perfect explanation for unknown bruises!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Sonic jokingly fears he's become a sell out after he signed a contract with Sega who made games and merchandise off his character.
- Light Is Good
- Living Emotional Crutch: Sonic and Amy to each other
- Especially Amy to Sonic during Chapter 5.
- Locked Out of the Loop
- Love Hurts: HUNGER PAINS!
- Love Triangle: Sonic <> Amy <> Shadow
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Eggman is Elise' father. It's implied in Chapter 19 that he told her before the air crash incident.
- Mama Bear: Big Mama towards Amy when she finds out that Amy was planning to sacrifice herself and blames Muriel for it..
- Agent Bazooka. Don't touch children with the intention of harming them...Elise found out the hard way.
- The Medic: Drainer....sort of.
- Mental Time Travel
- Mental World: We often look into Sonic's, which surrounds his mental perception of his friends. Tails has a small, homely cottage, and for some reason Amy has a gigantic mansion but Sonic isn't allowed in it. It was originally named the Street, then MorpheusSt.
- Mind Rape: The function of Abbadonia's Fury, a potent gas made from an Abbadonia Rose that when inhaled does this. It affects Sonic more than most due to his species (Stupilite) It was used by the Rosoideae to keep them under control.
- Missing Time: Sonic appears to have these but chooses to ignore them.
- The Mole: Lily the Maid/General Lilith
- Mysterious Watcher: The Femme Fatalex at the end of the first chapter.
- The end of chapter 12, the ghostly figure that Neptune waves to that stands above the Fox God Statue.
- Never Found the Body: Tails
- The Nicknamer: Olly and Bazza are the nick names of Agent Mjöllnir and Agent Bazooka given to by Sonic.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Morpheus. In the squickiest way possible.
- Nightmare Sequence: Sonic after he's exposed to Abbadonia's Fury
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Bazza bashes the brains out of Elise after her, Vector and Charmy break free when witnessing Elise placing Cream in a machine. It's hinted that Bazza knows what the machine is capable of but never mentions it. Being shot in the back would place a problem. Unfortunately this one was a clone.
- Or Was It a Dream?
- Palmtree Panic: A Dream World that Sonic and Amy visit resembles this, and where Ni GHTS reveals themselves.
- Please Put Some Clothes On. Happens to Amy Twice
- Poor Communication Kills: Shizaru is...WHY CAN'T YOU TELL PEOPLE THESE THINGS?
- Portal Network: The Transportation Hub introduced in Chapter 3 that's situated in the Garden of Rosales. The Central Portal Room has an artifact called the Sphere of Abyss that allows function of seven portals to work.
- Power Glows
- Precursors: Said to have created the Chaos Emeralds and the Master Emerald in order to put Order to Chaos.
- Precision F-Strike: Some characters only swear when they're extremely angry (No they don't have headaches). There's be a few notable ones.
Bazza: (Aims her Bazooka at Mr. Thorn)I AM ABOUT TO GIVE YOU OVER 9000 CCS OF GET THE FUCK OUT!
- Pretty Cool Guy: Gabriel and Milo.
- Psychic Powers: Silver the Hedgehog, Grey the Hedgehog Morpheus the Grey
- Psychological Horror
- Race Against the Clock
- Really Gets Around: Big Mama. It's to get what she wants. Olly knows when... she seals a deal when she can smell cherry flavoured smoke.
- Redemption Quest: Shizaru and Prince Haydens goal after what their people did 4000 years ago.
- Red Sky, Take Warning
- The Reveal: In Chapter 20. We find out that Agent Bazooka is Vanilla the Rabbit.
- Running Gag: Bazza's bad puns, and Drainer's poor grasp on sayings.:
Drainer: The helicopter that we usually use is more-of-less, 'grilled'.
- Seinfeldian Conversation: Sonic and Milo sit on the couch watching Cow and Chicken and discuss the discrepancies of a male chicken.
- Sequel Hook
- Shipper on Deck: Tails He wrote in his will that he wanted Sonic to take Amy on at least one date to satisfy her...probably redundant.. but who's to say that Sonic won't uphold his best friends final wishes.
- Vanilla's sister Caramel plots with Milo to get Knuckles and Rouge together.
- Shock and Awe: Olly.
- Shout-Out: A few.
Metal Sonic: I'm sorry, but your prince is another castle.
- And this..
Knuckles: (Angry) Are you saying I have no heart?
- Definitely this:
Grey: So...you like Super Mario Sunshine?
- Supreme Commander Big Mama
- Agent Strider: "I see what you did there... Agent Mjöllnir"
- Two words: Moe's Tavern
Bazza:"No need to bring out the Hammerdown Protocol Olly..."
- Something Completely Different: After Sonic has his Heroic BSOD in Chapter 16, the Point of View is changed to Olly's.
- Spirit Advisor: Shizaru, Gabriel, Bloody Amy.
- Spit Take: Sonic does the nose variety in Chapter 13.
- Steampunk City: A place visited in Chapter 12, also known as the Garden of Inari, where Tails people come from.
- Surprise Pregnancy: After finally no longer putting up with her bitchy behaviour, Shadow takes Rouge to the doctors and finds out he's going to be an adopted uncle. Rouge is not happy.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Sonic to himself. He is in complete denial, to others and even to himself, of his deep attraction to Amy, if taking his recent dreams into account.
- Sympathetic POV: Starts of with Sonic and follows him for the majority of the story. It switches to Olly during Chapter 16
- Take That:
Sonic: I've already done swords. Not everyone was pleased with that gimmick.
- Guess what he uses when he's in his Mr. Thorn persona?
- Take Up My Sword: Mr. Thorn is looking for Amy so he can give her the Mantle of The Hero.
- Talking in Your Dreams: Quite frequently.
- Tarot Troubles: Amy reads Sonic's cards in Chapter 4. He gets The Justice, The World(Reversed) and The Lovers.. See Tarot Motifs.
- Olly gets this in Chapter 18 by Amy. She recieves The Strength, The Star and the High Priestess.
- They Do: Surprisingly, not Sonic and Amy since that was All Just a Dream. However, on the other hand, Knuckles and Rouge. at Vector and Vanilla's wedding.
- This Is a Drill: One of the unsuspected powers from God's Hand.
- Those Six Guys
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: Muriel's Book seems to have turned out as this.
- Too Much Information:
Elise: Although since I usually had a breakfast of bacon and eggs in the morning, I did...get a little gas.
- Tragic Bromance: Sonic and Tails.
- Under the Sea: Sea Scroll Zone.
- Unexplained Recovery:
- Prince Hayden
- Virtual Reality: New Casinopolis and the training programs at GUN.
- The Voiceless: Probationary Agent Neptune. Communicates his happiness via ecstatic clapping.
- Wedding Day: Chapter 14 between Vector and Vanilla.
- Wham! Episode: Chapter 23.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: The Demisune.
- Woman in White: Shizaru
- Wutai: Garden of Sakura. Also Espio's homeland.
- You Are Not Alone
- You Are What You Hate: Sonic
- You Look Familiar: The Rosoideae all look a lot like Amy.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: During the Mind Rape Sequence.