|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, launched in 2007, is the latest original canonical installment in the Quake series, and it's also part of the class-based FPS Enemy Territory series, which started with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, four years ago.
Canonically, it takes place as the Prequel of Quake II, with the Stroggs invading the Earth. The player takes the place of a human or strogg warrior, first by choosing the side, and then, by choosing a class. Each side has 5 different classes: Soldier / Aggressor, Medic / Technician, Engineer / Constructor, Covert Ops (Spy) / Infiltrator and Field Ops / Oppressor.
And then, both teams fight in one of the four campaigns of three maps each one, taking place in North America, Africa, Northern Europe and the Pacific. The objectives of each map in the campaigns are different between each other.
This game provides examples of:
- Back From the Brink: The Strogg have nearly wiped out humanity at this point in the story. Judging from the plot of Quake II, things turn out pretty well for us.
- Badass Army
- Base on Wheels: EDF's MCP.
- EMP: EMP grenades temporarily shut down enemy turrets and vehicles.
- Human Resources: The Strogg technincians can hack fallen GDF soldier bodies to become host spawnpoints for their team.
- Kinetic Weapons Are Just Better: The Titan tank looks very similar to a M1 Abrams.
- Land Mine Goes Click: For no real reason, since they are triggered by some high-tech motion sensors.
- Magical Defibrillator: The Medic carries one of these. If used on a soldier, it revives him. If used on a Strogg, it does a bit of damage to them.
- Magic Tool: The Engineer and Constructor have these. The latter's can even be upgraded to work remotely.
- More Dakka: Some vehicles.
- No OSHA Compliance: Any Strogg facility you could think.
- Oddball in the Series: Quake Wars is comparatively slower-paced and objective-based instead of having traditional multiplayer modes. Justified Trope in that the game, although is canonical in the Quakeverse, (taking place before Quake II) is part of the Enemy Territory series, which started with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. One can expect now to hear about Doom: Enemy Territory or Enemy Territory: Rage. (Brink is Enemy Territory 3, so those others will have to wait until Brink is done)
- RPG Elements: Unlike the other games of the Quake saga, you gain better weapons and abilities with gameplay.
- Smashing Hallway Traps of Doom: The only game in the series which averts this.
- Two of Your Earth Minutes: In the Strogg side.
- Weak Turret Gun: Several.
- Zombie Apocalypse: In one mission the Strogg's objective is to poison the Hetch Hetchy water supply, thus corrupting all of California's water and turning all who drink it into drones.