|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
One thing I found hard to get scripted was the size of her ego.—Helen Mirren
A 2005 miniseries about the last few decades of the reign of Elizabeth I. The series deals with her personal and political life, spotlighting her relationships with the Earl of Leicester and the Earl of Essex. The main-actors were lauded for their performances and this series went on to win several prestigious awards.
This show provides examples of:
- Better as Friends: She tries this with Leicester at some point, but it's never very convincing.
- British Series
- Celibate Hero: Elizabeth is one of the most famous in history.
- The Charmer: The Earl of Leicester.
- Ermine Cape Effect
- A Father to His Men: Elizabeth insists on going to Tilbury to show her support for the soldiers.
- Friendship Moment: Several little scenes with Lord Burghley.
- Go Out with a Smile: Leicester.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Averted. Quite a lot is shown of gory executions.
- Guilt Trip: After Mary Stuart's execution.
- The Heretic: Elizabeth and most of the people at the English court. One of the main reasons Spain tried to invade.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Slightly subverted, since it's not clear whether the men courting Elizabeth are in it for her or for the power.
- Knight in Shining Armor: The Earl of Essex clearly aspired to be this, but forgot that behaving honorably includes obedience to a sovereign.
- Love Ruins the Realm: Why she can not marry the duke of Anjou.
- Off with His Head: Subverted. Elizabeth is very reluctant to have Mary killed.
- Older Sidekick: Lord Burghley.
- One-Liner: Many.
- Redheaded Hero: Obviously.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: In between romantic interludes with different men, Elizabeth also rules England effectively.
- Secret Relationship: Leicester and Lady Essex.
- Sour Supporter: Sir Francis Walsingham.
- Standard Royal Court
- Succession Crisis: Her councillors are afraid this will happen after Elizabeth dies.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask.