|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- This panel and the later design of Susan can make you think of this, perhaps?
- Pandora Chaos Raven - Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way?
- Angels Pose The photo session in "Lady Mysterious" mini-arc.
- Professor Raven. "OBJECTION!!!"
- Elliot's outfit here is a reference to this strip of The Wotch.
- "Beats Getting Tackled by Some Stuffed Tiger Everyday at Least".
- In the editorial for this EGS:NP comic Dan said it was meant as a homage to Plan 9 from Outer Space.
- "I assure you that the extra with the hat in the last panel is certainly not intended to resemble anyone in particular whatsoever, though it is apparent that he is a man."
- Grace is quite skilled at Super Smash Goons Melee.
- In one strip, Ellen's mother tells her to wake up Elliot. She is "unspecific as to how".
- In this strip, Grace declares Susan "Susan the Vampire Slayer".
- The Complete Works of Frank Miller were used to help Susan learn hammer-summoning.
- Shive admits that Susan's line here reminds him of the speech patterns of River Tam. Not to mention it's caused by a "serenity spell".
- And in the strip before that, Susan's Awakening looks a little like she's turning into a reverse Super Saiyan, at least if you ask me.
- So Immortals effectively die and are reborn in different bodies with different personalities? Sounds like a certain immortal doctor.
Dan Shive: If defying the laws of physics made Doctor Who cry, he'd never get anything done.
- Nanase makes a shoutout to Mallrats here.
- This one is made of shout outs. Batman, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Spider-man, two separate Star Wars movies (The Phantom Menace and The Empire Strikes Back), and Captain Marvel. Notably, they're all in-universe shout outs on the part of one guy who works at a comics store.
- The last panel of this one is a shout out to Dilbert. There's even a Pointy-Haired Boss.
- Panel one is a subtle shout out to Clerks.
- Apparently, Grace likes My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic.
- Justin claims that Noah ran off like a dog who saw a squirrel.
- The Lucky Bunny Bounty Show seems to be a reference to several anime series and Firefly.
- This strip is obviously inspired by The Legend of Zelda.
- This strip parodies Man v. Food.
- Sarah is apparently channeling the spirit of Elmyra (or the Looney Tunes Bigfoot Elmyra's dialogue was inspired by) in this strip.
- Is that Ternaldo?
- The title (not shown in the new website layout) of this comic is an obvious shout out to the main character of fellow gender-bending webcomic The Wotch.
- It has been mentioned in-universe that the most obvious superhero name for Grace, Squirrel Girl, has already been taken by Marvel Comics.
- Nanase kicked it up a notch. Bam!
- Dex's mark that lets him summon fairies is shaped like Navi.
- Q&A #5 references Conan O'Brien here, and the impractically pale-skinned elf here has a very familiar hairstyle.
- In this filler strip, Dan's minion answers reader e-mails, and he comments "Just call me Strong Minion."
- The magic nose beepage at the end of Painted Black is pretty similar to the divine nose beepage (at 7:35) from Dogma.
- Agents Wolf and Cranium are a subtle reference to Mulder and Scully from The X-Files. Aside from their job, and their appearance, the names "Wolf" and "Cranium" are possibly stealth puns on "Fox" and "Scully".
- At an interview at Susan's video store, Elliot meets Mister Tensaided, who makes a blatant Matrix reference...which goes over Elliot's head completely.
- Tensaided's opinion on Elliot.
Tensaided: I think he should be condemned. He has serious metal fatigue, his wiring is substandard, he's completely inadequate for our sales needs, and his brain is like a demilitarized zone.
Susan: Are...are you paraphrasing a Ghostbusters quote about a building to describe a person? How does that even--
Tensaided: At least you got the reference!