|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Eddsworld is a British slapstick-heavy webtoon which follows the lives of four (later just three) characters: the eponymous, cola-obsessed Edd, Matt, the square-chinned vain one, Tord, the trigger happy one from Norway (until he was Put on a Bus) and Tom, who has no eyes. "Eddisodes" were released sporadically and follow no real story arc.
They usually get involved in strange adventures, involving, in no particular order: Zombies, Evil Zombie Santa, Mummies, Future Counterparts, Talking Lemons, Clones, Canadians among other things, Hilarity Ensues.
Originally found on Newgrounds, its YouTube channel can be found here, and the main site (which includes Eddsworld comics) was found here. However, due to a problem with malware, the site went down. It is unknown whether or not the site will be brought back up.
After a long battle with cancer, creator Edd Gould passed away on March 25, 2012. His friends have confirmed he left half of a two part episode completed, and it will be fully completed, and they suggested the series will continue. His passing sparked a heavy reaction from the community, and many animations have been made in tribute to him, including a collaboration project between many major web animators. The final Eddisode voiced and animated by Edd was released on Youtube 2nd of June 2012. The missing animation was filled in by Paul Ter Voourde who will do the animation for the upcoming Eddisodes. There's a pledge drive to fund the new Eddisodes with all the money made from merchadising and advertising going to cancer charities. See this video for details.
Tropes featured include:
- Adorkable: Edd can be like this.
- Art Evolution: Their earlier videos were very blocky, but as time went on, they developed a better art style.
- Author Avatar: All the main characters are named after, voiced by and vaguely based off the creator and his friends.
- Sadly, Edd is no longer played by himself due to Edd's original voice actor dying (see the trope below)
- In a less tragic case, Tomska has quit the series after the "The End" 2 parter and will be replaced by another voice actor. In the End, itself a new Voice actor voiced Tord
- Author Existence Failure
- Bad Future: Subverted, The Edd from the future sees it as a bad future because Soda's been banned (desiring to kill himself in the past before it can happen), the other two seem just fine with the future.
- Bad Santa: Zanta Claws fits this trope to an A. Fortunately the Real Santa also exists.
- Berserk Button: Tom loves Smirnoff but God help you if you give him Diet Smirnoff.
- The Blank: In Comic 82: Ignored. Lampshaded when Tom asks how Edd and Matt breathe.
- Bonus Stage: Parodied in Not-So-Special Stage, where it's the ENTIRE GAME.
- Brick Joke: Edd smashes Tom's bass in one episode. It's referenced two times in future episodes that release a good deal later.
- Butt Monkey: Tom and Matt end up on the receiving end of a lot of abuse in the cartoons, although Matt may arguably get it worse because it's obvious Edd and Tom don't like him.
- Can't Take Anything with You: Referenced and averted in WTFuture.
Future Edd: I still have no idea what those naked Austrian guys were talking about... "Your clothes cannot time travel with you because they are not made of biogical matter!" Whatever that was about...
- Captain Obvious: Captain State the Obvious in Tom's Tales of Awesome.
- Cat Smile: In "Moving Targets"
Edd: Sir! Can I call you Hilary, sir! *Cat Smile*
- And in "Hello Hellhole" by the same person:
Edd: May we call you Lucy? *Cat Smile*
- Catch Phrase: Tom's "Holy X on a Y!"
- Lampshaded in "Spares"
- Companion Cube: Tom calls his spiky head of hair "Steve".
- Shoe from Movie Makers
- Curse Cut Short: Twice during Hammer and Fail 2.
- Cut Short: Details to follow.
- Everything Explodes Ending: This cartoon, at least until the stinger.
- Eyeless Face: Instead of eyes, Tom only has two black holes in his face (although he still has vision). His mother was a bowling ball and his father was a watermelon, explaining his lack of eyes (and round head shape).
- Gilligan Cut: In Tom's Tales of Brilliance.
- Green Aesop: Their video on Global Warming.
- Played for Laughs though as Edd is able to stop a tsunami by unplugging everything.
- Heh, Heh, You Said "X": In Spares, while the director is explaining his plan in the chalkboard, he writes "algeBRA". Then an arrow that points to "hee hee"
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Edd frequently makes these:
Edd: I can't beLEAF Matt got stuck in this tree! He was only trying to reTREEve our kite!
Tom: This is no time to make ACORNy joke!
Edd: Well, I'm STUMPEDed.
Matt: Uh, guys, I'm still stuck?
- Killed Off for Real: Jon is killed by Tord's giant robot in "the End", and The Stinger confirms it.
- Late to The Punchline: In WTFuture, it takes Edd ten years to pick up on a not-so-Stealth Insult.
- Product Placement: Edd is obsessed with Coke and refuses any substitutes.
- Same with Tom and Smirnoff. See Berserk Button.
- Parodied in "Ruined"
Tom: What in the name of this delicious bowl of Eddsworld Cereal happened to my bass!
- Puff of Logic: In Zanta Claws II, Edd, Tom, and Matt fly by car to the North Pole by way of the Zed Gear. Matt questions how a car can fly, and their flight is cut short...until it turns out they land on a plane, but then the pilot questions how planes can fly and the plane falls...on to another plane, and it repeats until their car is stacked on top of several planes.
- Put on a Bus: Tord was part of their adventures, up until "25 ft. Under The Seat", where he left. When he found out that Edd died, he decided to make a video giving his reasons for leaving.
- Power Trio: As of 25 ft. Under the Seat.
- The Rival: EDUARDO.
- Rule of Funny: A lot of their videos rely on this.
- Sanity Ball: Passed rapidly between Edd and Tom.
- Shmuck Bait: Death in a can.
- Shout-Out: In "WTFuture" the TARDIS appears in the background.
- In one of the wallpaper designs, Tom, Edd, and Matt are hanging out of the door of the TARDIS as it travels through time.
- You can see a Dalek head in "Space Face".
- Step Three: Profit: In "Zombeh Nation" Edd's plan to dominate the world using bacon has: step 1: bacon, step 2: bacon with an arrow pointing to the world, step 3: ????, and step 4: world domination.
- The Other Darrin: With the real Edd's passing his animated counterpart will be recast.
- The Problem with Pen Island: "This is where the therapists are!" *Beat Panel* "They should really make the space between the E and the R bigger..."
- They Killed Kenny: The cast are constantly killed off in the animations and comics, but are always back by the next episode or comic.
- This Trope Is Bleep: Parodied in this comic:
Tom: Have you ever noticed how we hardly ever swear?
Edd: That's because it always [censored] comes up as these [censored] blocks.
Tom: Well that's just [censored] stupid! Whose [censored] idea was that?
Edd: Probably the same [censored] [censored] who thought it would be a good [censored] idea to [censored] [censored] [censored] and give you [censored] [censored] [censored] instead of [censored] [censored] [censored] and stuff.
- Token Evil Teammate: Tom tends to be the most sour and hateful out of all of them. Especially around Christmas.
- Trigger Happy: Tord. He brings guns in almost every episode he was in.
- Visual Pun: A lot of the early comics consist of these.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Edd is saved from death by accidentally discovering the Grim Reapers' one weakness: Gravy.
- Literally Weaksauce!
- Zombie Apocalypse: 5 videos, 4 of them are connected, but the last one is completely unconnected to the "Zombeh Attack" series.