|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way vs. Canon is a Harry Potter fanfiction by Cookie VanDeKamp. It can be read here. The story begins on a normal day for Ron, Hermione, and Harry. And then... a certain Mary Sue shows up. After a few chapters of watching Ebony torment the students of Hogwarts, the Trio, Ginny, Luna, and Draco make it their business to get rid of her, once and for all.
The sequel, Sapphire Eleanor Rose Suzette de Mont vs. Canon (read here) shakes up the formula a bit. A new Mary Sue arrives, but this one is of the Incorruptible Pure Pureness variety. Once again, the Hogwarts students decide to get rid of her, but it turns out the MSEA (Mary Sue Extermination Association) had the same idea. The two groups join forces.
Tropes found in these fanfics...
- Abusive Parents: Sapphire's adoptive father.
- Action Girl: Charlie
- Affably Evil: If you look over the fact that she helped unleash Ebony, Jenny isn't such a bad girl to be around.
- Bad Boss: Despite being a good guy, October is very strict and cold to her employees.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: Aphrodite, October, Charlie.
- Luna, Hermione, Ginny.
- Better Than a Bare Bulb: Most tropes that pop up are lampshaded. Repeatedly.
- Big Bad: Tara Gilesbe is the Big Bad of the first one, with Jenny as her Dragon.
- There appears to be a new Big Bad for the second one, though we don't know who it is yet. Missy appears to be a spy for her.
- Big Fucking Gun: Charlie has a couple.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Jenny, who turns out to be a pretty nasty piece of work.
- Cluster SOB Bomb: October in chapter 6. In fact, for half the chapter, "son of a bitch" is all she says.
- She also says "shit!" a total of eight times in a row when she realizes she and her team aren't alone in the Room of Requirement.
- Cute Witch: Aphrodite, who is very good at magic and spells. She's not quite old enough to be a Hot Witch yet.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost everyone is this at some point.
- Dragon-in-Chief: Jenny is far smarter, and thus, more dangerous than Tara.
- Enemy Mine: Harry and co. call a truce with Draco so they can take out Ebony (and later, Sapphire).
- Evil Duo: Tara and Jenny.
- Fair Play Villain: Tara and Jenny, but mostly Jenny.
- Five-Man Band: The MSEA
- Foil: Sapphire for Ebony. Both are Sues, but in completely different ways.
- For the Lulz: Jenny admits to having helped write My Immortal just for shits and giggles. Tara, on the other hand, is just that stupid.
- Gilligan Cut: About the Harry Potter characters helping the MSEA:
October: The answer is no, and that's final.
Ginny: (clears throat)
Aphrodite: (sitting with the HP characters in the MSEA lounge) How does she do that?
- Girl Friday: Gigi, whose main roles in the MSEA are to transport other exterminators, track Sues, and keep an eye on Missy.
- Graceful Loser: After they are defeated, Jenny and Tara don't do much of anything besides say, "Not cool!" and then seem to leave it at that.
- Gray Eyes: October, showing her strong-willed nature and dedication to her work.
- Guns Akimbo: Charlie holds a pistol in each hand during her first encounter with Sapphire.
- The Gunslinger: Charlie
- Here We Go Again: Ebony vs. Canon ends with a new Mary Sue showing up in her place.
- Hostile Show Takeover: Tara barges into the narrator's office and takes over the fic for a chapter. The narrator still manages to get a few snarky comments in, though.
- Hypocritical Humor: October has a strict "no swearing on the job" policy, and is show enforcing it, getting annoyed with Charlie for saying "hell" while she's on-duty. When Sapphire is revealed to be a Reality Warper, she lets out a "Oh, son of a bitch!" And she keeps on repeating the line for a good half-chapter or so.
- She also says "Shit!" eight times in a row in chapter five. Brandon, of course, calls her out on this.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Sapphire, what with being a Purity Sue and all.
- Interactive Narrator: To the point where she can be taken hostage, show up to fight Jenny and Tara, be yelled at, and be killed and promptly replaced.
- The Intern: Missy Shadows, a high school student interning for the MSEA.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Sapphire's eyes somehow change color every day.
- The Ladette: Charlie, with everything from her Weapon of Choice to her name.
- Last-Name Basis: October calls her team by their last names while she's on the job, but as shown with a couple lines, this isn't the case when she's off-duty.
- Lemony Narrator
- Mary Sue Hunter: The entire point of the MSEA (Mary Sue Extermination Association).
- Mary Sue Tropes: All used extensively In-Universe.
- The Mole: Missy is apparently working for the Big Bad.
- Mood Whiplash: Sapphire vs. Canon starts off as another humorous parody, but this time with an entire team of Mary Sue exterminators! Oh, and by the way, one of the interns for the MSEA is a traitor. Also, the HQ just caught on fire.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Every time a Mary Sue dies, a new one is born in it's place. And the Sue that replaced Ebony is even WORSE.
- No Fourth Wall: NONE.
- Non-Action Guy: Brandon
- Not So Harmless: Tara, while a complete idiot, is competent enough to tie up the narrator and run the fanfic herself for a whole chapter.
- Not So Stoic: October when the HQ burns down.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Charlie's real name is Charlotte, but no one ever calls her that.
- OOC Is Serious Business: If Charlie appears to be bothered by something, something really bad is going down.
- And if October shows emotion beyond being annoyed, something's gone wrong.
- Purple Prose: Whenever a Sue's outfit is described. Played for Laughs and often lampshaded.
- Reality Warper: Sapphire
- Sequel Hook: The epilogue of Ebony vs. Canon has Sapphire arrive.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Draco, towards Ebony. Justified, as, well, she isn't. Good luck telling her that, though.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: Missy
- Teens Are Monsters: Jenny and Tara
- This Is Gonna Suck: Hermione's reaction to meeting Sapphire.
- Tomboyish Name: Charlotte "Charlie" Duncan
- Town Girls: The three main female members of the MSEA. Aphrodite is the femme one, Charlie is the butch one, and October is the neutral one.
- Trigger Happy: Charlie
- Wangst: Sapphire, constantly. Lampshaded In-Universe:
"How tragic of a past can someone have?"
- Verbal Business Card: Courtesy of Charlie.
- Weapon of Choice: A Big Fucking Gun for Charlie, magic for Aphrodite.
- Wham! Line: Chapter 9 of Sapphire:
Gigi: Something's happened. The HQ caught on fire. Only one out of six people made it out.
- World of Snark
- A Worldwide Punomenon: After Ebony suggests Frenching passively to Draco, he starts insulting her in French. Passively.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aphrodite's electric blue hair