|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
What do you get when you cross Pythagorean philosophy with Crowning Music of Awesome? E.S. Posthumus.
Based on the philosophy that music is made from a harmonization of opposites and the conciliation of warring elements E.S. Posthumus is a music group that produces cinematic style music. The groups music style is classical with a sprinkling of modern drum and electronic elements.
The group was formed in 2000 by brothers Helmut and Franz Vonlichten. Both of them can play the piano. Franz has worked in music studios since graduating high school and Helmut went to UCLA to study archeology. If you've ever seen any popular movies, trailers, or televisions shows you may have heard some of their work.
- 2001 - Unearthed
- 2008 - Cartographer
- 2010 - Makara
This band contains examples of:
- Awesome McCoolname: E.S. Posthumus's vocalist for Cartographer is named Luna Sans. It can be translated as 'without moon'.
- Author Existence Failure: Franz Vonlichten died in May of 2010, effectively stopping the group.
- Concept Album: Cartographer is about a map that was discovered in 1929 and the race of explorers that could have made this map.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: They're meant to be undecipherable, as they're from a fictional Latin derivative. Doesn't stop some people from trying to translate them.
- Location Theme Naming: All of the tracks of Unearthed are named after ancient cities/locations of varying significance.
- Menouthis, a sacred city in Ancient Egypt, was submerged in the 8th century AD due to earthquakes or flooding.
- Meaningful Name: The band's name stands for Experimental Sounds (ES) and "posthumus" is Dog Latin for "all things past."
- Their albums often have meaningful names as well.
- Ominous Numanian Chanting: In most of their songs: Numanian/Numadian, Helmut Vonlichten says, is "a Latin derivative language and, therefore, sounds similar to many of the Romance languages. The use of a secret language encourages the listener to engage their own imagination and, thereby, create an unique personal interpretation."
- Popularity By Proxy: E.S. Posthumus received one when the brothers worked with Jay-Z and Rihanna for the Super Bowl in 2010.
- More of a Hey, It's That Guy! for music, once people realized where all the awesome movie trailer music came from.
- Symphonic Metal
- With Lyrics: Cartographer.