|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Can you write?""How about drawing?"
"Of course, duh."
—Written dialogue between the two main characters
Draw With Me is an animated short set to a short-edit of Otsuka Ai's song Cherish, made by Mikeinel, worked on extensively as a Valentine's Day present for his girlfriend, Doski. It's about a girl and a boy separated by an unbreakable glass, and is considered one of the saddest original works on YouTube. Watch at your own risk. This does not stop it from being face-meltingly popular across the Internet, though.
It can be found on YouTube here, and on Deviant ART here. It also has several supplemental works, including color roughs, a Making Of, a very sad wallpaper, a preview comic, a very depressing direct followup (spoilers!), and a slightly happier distant finale (spoilers!!). And another less-happy distant finale/universe expansion after that here.
It can also be downloaded here.
This animation has examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The extras above are mostly just things make you cry yet again, but the Easter Egg in the video for "Who" tells you many important things, like why they couldn't just use a ladder. Living things have a tendency to die when they pass over the wall.
- Beautiful Void: The setting.
- Boy Meets Girl
- Catgirl: The look of the girl in this, and the boy appears to have a wolf tail.
- Chekhov's Gun: Dominant hands.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: The use of coal on the wall.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The creator and his girlfriend are in a long-distance relationship. This seems to be an influence on the themes, and anyone who has little contact with the one they love will tell you that it hits a little too hard.
- Downer Ending: The creator has stated that he doesn't like sugar-coated perfect endings. He certainly hit his mark here.
- Exposed to the Elements: If that really is snow, these two are most certainly underdressed for it, especially the girl.
- Fridge Horror: The part where the girl cuts her arm so she can give it to the boy, if you put aside the sad part.
- Not made any better by how much blood she seems to have lost when she cut it off and put into the box. The entire box it's in is red, and some of it can still spill over onto the ground.
- Hope Spot: When the boy punches through the glass which then instantly reforms, shredding the boy's arm and many crucial tendons in his drawing hand.
- Love Makes You Crazy is most certainly on display here.
- Meet Cute: Done right, thank god.
- Minimalist Cast
- The Nameless/No Name Given: Both our main characters are this.
- However on Mikeinel's facebook page he calls the boy Zefyr and the girl Lilian.
- The Noseless: This too.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: The color scheme, anyway.
- The Power of Love is what compels the boy to try to break through the glass.
- Separated by the Wall: This is a textbook example of this trope.
- Snow Means Love: Well, at least the firefly-like things look like snow.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Well, kinda...
- Status Quo Is God: Apparently averted, played straight, subverted, and then played straight again in a rather disturbing way.
- The Stinger: One that bothers a lot of people, to put it lightly.
- The Voiceless: Because sound can't reach across the wall.
- Unusual Ears
- Window Love: Err, wall love. The principle's the same.