|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Dragon Keeper Trilogy are a three book series written by Carole Wilkinson. Set in Ancient China, The trilogy consist of Dragon Keeper, Garden of the Purple Dragon, and Dragon Moon, with a small prequel story Dragon Dawn.
The series chronicles the journey of a slave girl named Ping's journey with a wise dragon, named Danzi. Over the course of the story, Ping develops into a strong woman, capable of doing things that she hadn't even dreamed of when she had been a slave.
These books provide examples of:
- Berserk Button: You'll trigger it if you mess with Ping's friends, and vice versa.
- Never mention the word "slave" around Ping....ever.
- Everyone Is Right Handed Plot point in that all Dragon Keepers are left-handed.
- Fridge Horror: Well, if you really think about it, the story really changed nothing. Since there are no dragons prevalent, that means a bunch of humans probably slaughtered the last remaining numbers of dragons. Though, it could really be that their in hiding
- Humans Are Bastards: The reason why Ping and Company have to move around so much.
- I Am Dying Please Take My Macguffin: Subverted, then eventually played straight. When Danzi goes to the Island of the Blessed, he leaves Ping the Dragon Stone. In Dragon Moon, Ping seems fully convinced that Danzi died.
- I Have Many Names: Danzi says this pretty much word for word.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The dragons in the story are Chinese Dragons, as opposed to the Fairy Tale kind.
- Jerkass: Ping's old master Lan embodies this trope.
- Lie Che eventually devolves into this.
- MacGuffin: Pretty much the Dragon stone and even more so when it hatches.
- Made a Slave: Ping starts as this in the beginning of the story.
- Meaningful Name: Averted with Ping, who is disappointed to learn that her name means "duckweed". Played straight though with Long Danzi whose name means "Courageous Dragon".
- The Obi-Wan: Danzi during the course of Dragon Keeper.