|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
This town has a doctor and his name is Rendell
—Jump rope rhyme by the children of Moorehigh
Dr. Giggles is a Slasher Movie from the year 1992. It was directed by Manny Coto and starred Larry Drake, Holly Marie Combs and Cliff De Young. It is notable for both its horror and its comedy.
35 years ago, a man by the name of Dr. Rendell in the town of Moorehigh was found to have been ripping out the hearts of his patients with the help of his son Evan Jr. in an attempt to bring back his dead wife. Dr. Rendell was stoned to death by the townspeople, but his son disappeared. 35 years later, the now full-grown Evan Jr. murders two doctors and escapes the asylum that he was in and returns to Moorehigh as the insane Dr. Giggles, intent on revenge for his father.
Has the examples of:
- Antagonist Title
- Black Guy Dies First: Trotter and his girlfriend Leigh are the first ones to die when Evan arrives at Moorehigh
- Creepy Child: Evan Jr. in the flashbacks.
- Daddy's Girl: Jennifer.
- Deadly Doctor: Both Evan and Evan Jr.
- Final Girl: Jennifer.
- Flatline: Shown when Evan stops Jennifer's heart.
- Giggling Villain: Giggles, and his father was one too.
- Gorn: And how!
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Jennifer kills Evan with his own tools.
- Hurricane of Puns: The titular doctor.
- Karma Houdini: Max does cheat on Jennifer by making out with Coreen (while drunk) and, unusually for this type of film survives and is forgiven at the end. Though to be fair he does redeem himself by saving Jennifer repeatedly.
- Love Makes You Evil: Dr. Rendell started killing people in order to find a cure for his wife's heart condition.
- Mad Doctor: Dr. Rendell and his son.
- Make-Out Point: There's one near the carnival.
- Necromantic: Dr. Rendell
- Nightmare Dreams: Jennifer's upcoming operation gives her nightmares.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The asylum workers gave our antagonist his nickname because they didn't know the real one.
- Playground Song: See page quote above.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Jennifer to Evan: "Take two of these and call me in the morning."
- Salt and Pepper: McGruder and Reitz
- Shirtless Scene: Freddie has one when prepares for sex.
- Shoot Out the Lock: Reitz attempts do it, but he is interrupted by Evan.
- Slashed Throat
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: Three blondes bite it in the film, the Final Girl is brunette.
- Sliding Scale of Comedy and Horror
- The Unfair Sex: Inverted. When Max kisses Coreen (while drunk) she is "punished" by getting murdered.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Officer Reitz throws up when he finds Evan's victims.
- Wicked Stepmother: Tamara is close to a modern example.