|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Dora "The Explorer" Marquez
A seven-year-old girl who likes to spend her time going on trips and exploring new places.
- Demoted to Extra: In "A Crown for King Juan El Bobo".
- Girliness Upgrade: "Tween Dora"
- The Heroine
- Idiot Heroine: Possibly. Why else would she ask the viewer a question every ten seconds?
- It Runs in The Family: Dora inherited her grandmother's exploration hobby. Her mother is an archeologist.
- It Was a Gift: Dora got the star pocket from her grandmother.
- Her backpack, map and necklace with matching bracelet is also a gift.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her shirt, which especially applies in the new series.
- Signature Move: Dora's "Super Soccer Kick".
Boots the Monkey
He's five years old, and he's Dora's best friend.
- A Day in the Limelight: In "Boots's Special Day", "Baseball Boots", and "Boots to the Rescue".
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: Inverted, he only wears boots. It's in his name!
- Demoted to Extra: In "Fairytale Adventure", "A Crown for King Juan El Bobo", "Dance to the Rescue", and "Dora's World Adventure".
- Different in Every Episode: Boots is a born gymnast, and he will usually treat a hill as a chance to show off. Other times, he'll just walk.
- It's the Best Whatever Ever!: Boots describes his special day as "my best day ever" and "all my favorite parts put together."
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: On one Halloween, he can't settle on a costume, so he dresses up as a fire chicken.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Once an Episode: When he jumps over a log.
- The Lancer: There is an early Running Gag where Boots rushes into answering a puzzle, only to get it wrong and flee back to Dora's side.
- Leitmotif: A short, fast harmonica piece.
- Like Brother and Sister: Boots and Dora aren't just good friends; they love each other. "This is evident in "Big Sister Dora", when he speaks of becoming "a big monkey brother."
Dora received this backpack just before her first trip.
- Bag of Holding:
- Catch Phrase: After picking out the item for Dora, she'll usually say "Delicioso!" after 'eating' the rest of the things.
- Chekhov's Gun: A number of objects that fit this trope are held inside of Backpack for later use.
- Crazy Prepared: Absolutely. A number of things that Dora needs just arbitrarily happen to be in the bag.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Backpack!" and "The Backpack Parade".
- "I Am" Song: You know the one...
- It Was a Gift
- Meaningful Name
He has his own pocket in Dora's Backpack and is...well, it's pretty self-explanatory. Tropes:
- Different in Every Episode: The map itself is never the same twice, but it never fails to meet Dora's needs.
- "I Am" Song: It's listed under Broken Record on the main page.
- Meaningful Name: Well, yeah.
Benny the Bull
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Wears a bandanna.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: A blue bull.
- Funny Animal: He stands on two legs and speaks but still has the basic design of a bull.
- Hiccup Hijinks: At the end of one episode, it's revealed that the "hic-boom-oh!" noise was him hiccuping, falling over, and exclaiming in surprise.
- The Klutz: Benny is really clumsy at times.
- The Load: Is often portray as being bumbling and trouble prone, with a whole episode revolving around saving him.
- A Load of Bull: Obviously, he's a bull.
Tico the Squirrel
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Is a purple squirrel.
- Animals Not to Scale: A squirrel half the size of a bull calf.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Wears a waistcoat and no pants.
- Keep It Foreign: In Spanish dubs, Tico speaks English.
Isa the Iguana
- Animals Not to Scale: An iguana who's nearly the size of a human girl.
Swiper the Fox
- Big Bad: Of the series.
- Catch Phrase: "Aw, man!"
- Phrase Catcher: "Swiper, no swiping!"
- Harmless Villain
- Heel Face Turn: In some of his appearances.
- Leitmotif: Like Boots, he has one. It sounds like a shrub being shaken.
- Swiper No Swiping: The Trope Namer. Also possibly the most Egregious example of it.
Big Red Chicken
A giant rooster who likes to party.
- Color Character: Has "Red" in his name.
- A Dog Named "Dog": A chicken with "Chicken" in his name.
- Genki Boy: Very active and enthusiastic.
Grumpy Old Troll
A grumpy troll who lives under a bridge and won't let you cross it unless you solve a riddle.
- Happy Dance: On the rare occasion that he's thankful for something, he does a little dance that he describes as his "thank-you dance".
- "I Am" Song: Like Map and Backpack, he has his own song.
King Juan el Bobo
A forgetful Spanish-accented king. He is a grown-up version of Juan Bobo of the books.
- A Day in the Limelight: He is the main protagonist of "A Crown for King Juan El Bobo".
- Ascended Extra: He first appears in the third season as a nameless king named "King". In the fourth season, he changes his name from "King" to "King Juan El Bobo" and has more screen time.
- Butt Monkey: He has flippers on his feet in "Dance to the Rescue" and forgets his crown in his own episode.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: He is absent from the fifth season to present.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: He vanishes after appearing in the fourth season episode "Dance to the Rescue" and doesn't appear after the fourth season.