|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
In the beginning, there was nothing...
And that was quite boring, so DOODLE GOD created earth, air, fire and water. Then, Doodle God did say that thou shalt make a game documenting his exploits and that it shall be filled with Ham and Crazy Awesome...
Doodle God is a game on Newgrounds and the IPhone produced by Badim. The mechanic is simple enough, you start with four elements and, by combining them, you create new elements. You combine the new elements to make newer elements, and so on. Sounds simple? There are right around 250 elements in the game at the time of writing. Needless to say, it's not easy.
The 2010 Halloween season debuted a spinoff called Doodle Devil. The mechanic remains the same (although you start with two elements instead), but the premise is different in that you are creating sin and destruction. More than 100 elements are available for Doodle Devil as of this writing.
In May 2011, "Doodle God 2" a flash game containing the first 3 episodes of the IPhone version was released by Badim.
Doodle God provides examples of:
- Anachronism Stew: You can have dinosaurs and airplanes at the same time. Later episodes attempt to avert this.
- Back From the Dead: Philosopher's Stone + Corpse = Human
- Baleful Polymorph: Warrior + Wizard = Worm + Wizard
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: If you combine them with Air or Fire, that is.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: Lawyer + Money = Greed.
- Element Number Five: There are several elements beyond the original four, including balance, simple life, animals, plants, humans, supernatural entities, machines, architecture, food, and vehicles. the sequel ads even more.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: The Spell Book. sunflower, and other such things are made by combining...well, it should be obvious based on the trope name.
- Guide Dang It: Anyone who says they finished the game without help is lying, and must be shot.
- Interspecies Romance: Apparently, dragon + hydra = sex.
- Last Lousy Point: Some of the Open Feint achievements require completing the episodes without using the hint system. Use it even once and it's Lost Forever even on a reset of the game.
- Perspective Flip: Doodle Devil
- Moon Logic Puzzle: several of the combinations only make sense in hindsight, and usually by stretch.
- Schizo-Tech: It is very possible to invent the boiler before creating humans, and build houses and skyscrapers before inventing clothing.
- Seven Deadly Sins: There's actually ten, with the addition of heresy, murder, and theft.
- Sidequest / Brutal Bonus Level: After inventing Games, you get to play a combination of Doodle God, and Tetris. Episode 4 adds a mix of Doodle God and Bejeweled.
- Shout-Out: The quotes for the "Water + Bacteria = Plankton" combination are nothing but quotes from that Plankton, and the artwork for the intro for the "Save the Princess" sidequest in the iPhone version has, inscribed on the ground in the second scene, the words "3. ???, 4. Profit!"
- Also, the quote for Computer + Human = Cyborg.
- Shown Their Work: Stone and shell make limestone, cement is made of limestone, etc.
- Take That: Apple + Cellphone = Gold + Gold + Gold.
- On the Windows Phone version sex has been omitted, but the iPhone joke is intact. Either it slipped through, or the combination of the two was too important to leave out.
- Episode 3 changes this to Apple + Cellphone = Religion.
- Try Everything: Getting stumped is easier than you think.
- When Trees Attack: Tree + Life = Treant.