|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Dokken is a Heavy Metal band from Los Angeles formed in 1978. They were primarily successful from 1983-87 for their albums Breaking the Chains, Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. Some of their more popular songs include "Breaking the Chains," "Into the Fire," "Just Got Lucky," "In My Dreams," "The Hunter," "It's Not Love," "Burning Like a Flame," "Dream Warriors" and "Alone Again".
"Mr. Scary" appears on Brutal Legend, former bass-player Jeff Pilson (1983-2001) voices Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat 9 and the band provides the name of one of Vice from King of Fighters' unique/command-special attacks.
Dokken provides examples of:
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: The band's name comes from the lead singer's surname, though this happened because their original name "Airborn" was already taken by another band that happened to have a record deal.
- Breaking the Bonds: The video to "Breaking the Chains."
- Convection, Schmonvection: Subverted by the video for "Just Got Lucky."
- Metal Scream: Don Dokken specializes in the higher-register variety.
- Metaphorgotten: A certain Memetic Norton Anti-Virus commercial tries to make the comparison between a virus attacking a computer and Dokken destroying a raw chicken with rock (or something). It quickly loses track of the comparison it was supposed to be making.
- Other Common Music Video Concepts: George Lynch busts through a wall in "Dream Warriors" so he can play a guitar solo.
- Power Ballad: "Alone Again" ended up becoming one of the biggest hits of the band's career.
- Revolving Door Band: Seen here, courtesy of Wikipedia.
- Self-Backing Vocalist
- Signature Song: Possibly "Alone Again" or "Dream Warriors."
- Video Full of Film Clips: Dream Warriors, since it came from the soundtrack to A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. The band fights off Freddy with The Power of Rock, until it's revealed that Freddy was dreaming the video.
Freddy:What a nightmare! Who were those guys!?