|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Divi-dead is a Japanese-translated-to English 2D Eroge released by C's Ware in 1998. The game falls into the category of adult horror, as it deals with supernatural and sexual topics. Some images from the game are brutally violent and strange, while others are lighthearted and erotic. It is a visual novel that involves a supernatural mystery which the protagonist must solve in order to complete the game. There are several endings offered based on the decisions you make throughout, but the clues on where you should go are few, vague, and far between. Along with True Love '95, Divi-Dead is often credited for being one of the games to start the interest in eroge games outside of Japan.
Life has been rough for Ranmaru Hibikiya. Bedridden as a child with a mysterious illness, he's had to spend most of his time alone, drugged, wondering if he would live to adulthood. Now, however, things are getting better for him. His health has improved; he only experiences the occasional seizure. Also, he's been enrolled in his uncle's distinguished institution, the Asao Private School.
Of course, this fortuitous turn isn't without a catch. His uncle, a rather mysterious man, installed Ranmaru at Asao to serve as his spy. Ranmaru begins an innocuous investigation, not really expecting to find anything important. Soon, however, he finds himself immersed in horrifying, supernatural events that could claim his life at any moment.
This Eroge contains the following tropes:
- A God Am I
- Abuse Is Okay When It Is Female On Male: Miki strangles Ranmaru at one point, but he forgets about it five seconds later.
- All Just a Dream: There are quite a few moments like this, usually involving Haruka.
- You Fail Biology Forever: "What a fart-blasting scrotum this guy is!"
- Blind Idiot Translation: The most glaring one is changing "Itsukino" to "Seino" for no discernible reason.
- Really playing the translation of this game is extremely hard, as few scenes actually make sense.
- Dropped A Chandelier On Him
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Yuka wears this. Ranmaru mentions she looks like a doll a one point, albeit a giant blood-covered one...
- Freaky Friday: Several, including one that comes from left field.
- Grand Theft Me
- Guide Dang It: Good luck trying to get the best ending without a walkthrough!
- Hello, Nurse!: Aki
- Inner Monologue
- Malaproper: EVERYONE during the H-scenes.
- Multiple Endings: There are three sets, each having a good and a bad ending.
- Not Himself
- Older Than They Look: Yuta and Azusa
- Parental Incest: The school nurse is your mother.
- Rape as Backstory: Haruka must have been raped at least three times over the course of the story.
- The Stoic: Shotaro
- Teacher-Student Romance: Ms. Mayumi and Mami.
- There is one point during the game where the player can decide to have sex with either the school nurse or the librarian.
- Tsundere: Miki
- Twincest: Implied.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Azusa
- Weaksauce Weakness: Yuta and mustard.