Demetria "Demi" Devonne Lovato (born August 20, 1992) is an American actress and singer-songwriter. She is best known for her roles as Mitchie Torres in the Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock and its sequel Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, and as Sonny Munroe in Sonny With a Chance. Lovato starred in the 2009 movie Princess Protection Program. Before Disney Channel, she was one of the kids on Barney & Friends.
As a solo musical artist, Lovato released her debut album Don't Forget on September 23, 2008. The album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, selling 89,000 copies in the first week. It has since sold over 473,000 records in the US. Demi stated in an interview that the album was recorded in ten days. Lovato released her second album, Here We Go Again, on July 21, 2009. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling 108,000 copies in the first week.
Her next album, Unbroken, was recently released on Sept. 20, 2011. It topped at number 4 on the billboard charts. It's a New Sound Album R and B and electronics based album, and was successful and she toured with it. The A Special Night with Demi Lovato tour, after this she released a MTV special Stay Strong where she discussed her many issues in depth and admitted it may take a life time to recover from her issues. Joined American The X Factor with Britney Spears.
Compare to her Japanese counterpart May'n.
- Don't Forget (2008)
- Here We Go Again (2009)
- Unbroken (2011)
- TBA (2013)
Ms. Lovato exhibits tropes such as:
- Abusive Parents: Her birth dad was an alcoholic abuser who ditched her, then reconnected with her again when she got famous, and used her fame to make her look bad.
- For the Love of a Daughter basically explains the situation.
- Her mother is accused of ignoring her clear issues with cutting and eating disorder's once she got to Hollywood.
- Word of Demi, to be fair to her parents, was that Demi hid her problems well, and did not discuss them with her parents.
- Jeez, no wonder poor girl had a breakdown...
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Trainwreck".
- And Now for Something Completely Different / New Sound Album: Unbroken has a more electro and R&B/Hip-Hop sound to it compared to her two previous albums, which were more rock oriented.
- Album Title Drop: The Don't Forget, and Here We Go Again songs.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Demi has donned all three hair colors, most recently blonde.
- Break Up Song: Every Time You Lie, Don't Forget, Gonna Get Caught, Everything You're Not, Mistake, In Real Life
- Career Resurrection: Skyscraper was one of the ballads of 2011, and Unbroken is very successful in America and southern America.
- The Cast Showoff: In both Camp Rock and Sonny With a Chance.
- Celeb Crush: She's said hers is William Beckett from The Academy Is...
- Fallen Princess
- Genki Girl: When she's in a good mood.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Selena Gomez, and to a lesser extent, Miley Cyrus.
- Which produced a friendship-level Betty and Veronica dynamic. Selena is more of a Betty and Miley is more of Veronica.
- Hotter and Sexier: And holy shit how!
- I Meant to Do That - One time when she was performing "Until You're Mine", she tripped and started laughing. During one of the instumental breaks, she said "I planned that, the whole falling thing? That was already planned!"
- Odd Friendship: She's actually really good friends with Kim Kardashian.
- One of Us: Or as much as a Disney star can be; she's a self-confessed metalhead, dropping names like Job for a Cowboy, Abigail Williams and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. She apparently once tried to show it to Joe Jonas, who didn't like it at all. Her song La La Land basically cements this.
- Promoted Fangirl: worked with John Mayer, William Beckett JR of The Acadamy Is and Jon McLaughlin for Here We Go Again. Working with Britney Spears for X Factor.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Before she got a tan and dyed her hair.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Because of personal issues, she won't be returning to Sonny With a Chance, causing the series to do a Retool into So Random.
- Rockstar Song: "La La Land".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Every Time You Lie, Mistake, Everything You're Not.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Not always, but it does happen (e.g. 'Catch Me'). Otherwise, she's had people like the Jonas Brothers and Kara DioGuardi as her backing singers in the studio.
- Silly Love Songs: Catch Me, Trainwreck, Hold Up, In Real Life, Unbroken, Lightweight, Stop the World and My Love Is Like Star.
- Stalker with a Crush / Obsession Song: Until You're Mine treads the fine line between both of these concepts.
- Slap Slap Kiss: Get Back, Here We Go Again.
- Spiritual Successor: To Ashlee Simpson, starts doing rock, then experiments with Jazz and then goes to a RNB/Electronic route. Has a famous working sister in the business (This time Younger) and complex father issues. Also wrote a take that towards the general Hollywood and perfection machine.
- Take That: La La land is aimed at Hollywood AND Disney for their need to artificially perfect their teen idols.
- For The Love of A Daughter to her father.
- Every Time You Lie to the guy who did those things to her.
- Title Track: Her three albums all have one.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Selena Gomez. In an interview, Demi calls herself the girly girl, while Selena calls herself a tomboy.
- Your Cheating Heart: Gonna Get Caught, Every Time You Lie, Solo, U Got Nothing On Me, World Of Chances