|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
1980s British sitcom starring Ralph Bates as divorcee John Lacey, who was recovering from his ex-wife leaving him for his best friend. Much of the comedy centred around his friendships with the members of the '1-2-1 Club', a group for divorced and separated people.
Remade for American television with Judd Hirsch, which ran on NBC from 1988 to 1992.
Came sixty-fourth in Britains Best Sitcom.
Not to be confused with the 2010 American movie.
- Annoying Laugh: Sylvia. Apparently, her ex-husband even informed her of this.
- Break Up Song (relationship breakup): The theme tune.
- Casanova Wannabe: Kirk, and he literally has a polyester suit and medallion!
- Citizenship Marriage: Ralph's Polish ex-wife married him for citizenship.
- Catch Phrase: Kirk: 'Cos that's the sort of man I am!' Louise: 'Were there any...sexual problems?'
- Cut Short: Star Ralph Bates died in 1991 so plans to continue the series were scrapped.
- "Dear John" Letter: John actually gets one of these in an episode of the US show, resulting in an amusing Title Drop.
- Divorce Assets Conflict: John's ghastly ex-wife Wendy has taken everything.
- Digging Yourself Deeper: Poor John is the king of this trope.
- Dysfunction Junction: As well as John and Ralph's problems above, Kate's been married and divorced three times due to being frigid, and where does one start with Kirk's problems?
- Gallows Humor: There is a lot of bittersweet humour about divorce, lack of love, and bad sex (or no sex).
- The Good Old British Comp: John teaches in one.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Kirk's constant boasting.
- Jerk Jock: One gets the impression Mike is the Jerk Jock grown up.
- Landlady: Dotty old Mrs Lemenski, who treats John with great suspicion.
- Mail Order Bride: Ralph's ex-wife.
- Nice Guy: John is one, and sadly it has got him nowhere in life.
- The Nicknamer: Kirk - 'Tiger', 'Ralphey' etc.
- Not a Date: Kate and John go for dinner once. Hilarity Ensues when they both drink too much and wake up in bed next to each other with no memory of what had happened after dinner.
- No Name Given: All the members of the 1-2-1 Club call each other by their first names, except for Mrs Arnott.
- Taking the Kids: Before the beginning of the first episode, no less.
- Ted Baxter: Kirk
- Tropaholics Anonymous: The 1-2-1 Club.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Kirk again. In one episode we actually find out that Kirk's real name is Eric Morris, and he's a wooly jumper-wearing nerd who lives with his mum and has never been married at all, let alone divorced.
- Averted in the US version, where Kirk's numerous affairs are obviously quite real.
- The Vicar: Or rather the Catholic Priest. Wendy decides Toby should go to a Catholic school, so she and John pretend they are still married. Of course, Hilarity Ensues.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The end of Kate and John's Not a Date
- Will They or Won't They?: Kirk/Kate, John/Kate