|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Remember that name... 'cause the whole world's gonna know it in three days."
The protagonist. Upon hearing that something big was going down in the town of Willamette, Frank charters a helicopter in order to investigate and leave with the "scoop of a lifetime". He tells the pilot to drop him off on the roof of the Willamette Parkview Mall, and return for him in 3 days.
Frank proves himself to be incredibly competent fighter and photographer, and his determination in getting his story allows many dark truths to come to light.
- Afraid of Needles: He's not exactly thrilled at having to receive his first shot of Zombrex.
- Badass Normal
- Bishonen: Averted, Keiji Inafune designed him to be average-looking intentionally.
- Crazy Survivalist: In Infinity Mode, where you must kill other survivors for their food.
- Determinator: Nothing, not even 53,594 zombies, insane clowns, hispanic terrorists, and U.S. Special Forces soldiers will stop Frank from getting his story. Except, of course, the actions of the player.
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- Insult Backfire:
Brad: You're one hell of a journalist aren't you, Frank? A hotheaded, underhanded, hotshot paparazzi with nothing better to do than to invade people's privacy.
Frank: I try... you got a point?
- Intrepid Reporter
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rough around the edges, but is eager to help save other people trapped in the mall...usually.
- Laughing Mad
- Took a Level In Badass: 50 of them, to be precise.
- Zombie Infectee: Happens to him over the course of the game.
"I just want you to appreciate the situation."
DHS agent, assigned to the investigation of the Willamette incident alongside fellow agent Jessica McCarney. At first he is distrustful of Frank and expresses his displeasure of his trade. But after fighting alongside him against Carlito, fetching him medicine from the Supermarket and ensuring a helicopter ride out of the mall, Brad comes to trust Frank as a formidable ally.
Level-headed, Brad assumes responsibility over re-stocking the security room with supplies, and looking after his younger colleague.
- A Father to His Men: Very protective of his colleague, Jessie, assuming full responsibility when she gets attacked by Dr. Barnaby.
- Angry Black Man: Averted. For the most part, he is cool and collected. He is rather intimidating at times, though.
- Bald Black Leader Guy: He is quick to take charge of the situation and instruct the others.
- Black Dude Dies First: Averted: He survives for most of the story, before being trapped in the maintenance tunnels with thousands of zombies.
- Famous Last Words: "Don't tell Jessie about this."
- Only a Flesh Wound: He's bedridden for the most part of 5 hours, but recovers quickly after you get him some medicine.
A DHS agent who accompanies Brad to the mall. She initially goes to assist Brad, but due to a sprained ankle she is forced to leave saving him up to Frank. Like Brad, she is at first distrustful of Frank due to being part of the press and tells him minimum amount of information such as her name and Brad's; however, she grows to trust him. While she does spend most of the game holed up in the saferoom she still manages to provide help from time to time and does have a lot of significance to the plot. Unfortunately, near the end of the games she turns into a zombie after succumbing to her previous attack from Dr. Barnaby.
- Cute Monster Girl: Even as a cannibalistic zombie with blood running down her shirt, you have to admit that she is still pretty hot...
- Meganekko: As if she wasn't cute enough already, she also wears glasses.
- Ms. Fanservice: Huge boobs? Check. Nice ass? Check. Cute glasses? Check. Taking a photo of her in just the right angle gives the best erotica bonus in the game? Double check.
- Twisted Ankle: Her ankle. Nice job breaking it Frank.
- Zombie Infectee: She ends up turning a short time after her little scuffle with Dr. Barnaby.
Don't cut me off like that, its rude!
An aged mall employee who serves as Mission Control for most of the game before evacuating the survivors you saved before the military arrives. He is silent... at least during cutscenes. During the actual game he can't seem to shut the fuck up even while Frank is getting his arm chewed off by a zombie.
- Cool Old Guy: For all the trouble he causes you, he actually ends up helping you a lot more than he hinders you. Without him Frank wouldn't know about half the stuff going on in the mall and would have lost all the people he saved to the military.
- Mission Control: One of the more annoying ones.
- Stop Helping Me!: Okay Otis, I get that I should check out the Monster Clown on the other side of the mall, but if you call me one more time while I'm trying to get 3 idiot survivors through a sea of zombies and 3 deranged convicts I'm going to reach into the t.v. and strangle you with the cord on my wired controller.
"This, my friend... is hell!"
A mysterious man, first met on the heliport of the mall. After numerous run-ins with Frank and Brad, it is revealed that he orchestrated the Willamette outbreak as revenge for the US government's cover-up of a research facility in his home town of Santa Cabeza. A dangerous man with many back-up plans, he eventually dies at the hands of a psychopath butcher.
With access to heavy firepower and a radio jammer, Carlito is the most frequent boss you face in-game.
- Arc Words: "Pachamama" - "Mother Earth". His parents said it a lot whilst living in Santa Cabeza.
- Big Bad
- Crazy Prepared
- Kick the Morality Pet: Shooting Isabela in the shoulder after finding out about her Heel Face Turn.
- Lack of Empathy: Subverted as he feels sorry for shooting Isabela in the shoulder.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning
- Villainous Breakdown: As his plan is ruined beyond all belief, he gets crazier and crazier.
"Fine. I'll explain why all of this is your fault."
A mysterious woman first encountered in the Entrance Plaza before the zombies break in. It turns out that she's Carlito's little sister, and co-conspirator in the Willamette Outbreak. After a few encounters with Frank, she agrees to help him get his story by asking Carlito to be interviewed by him. He responds by shooting Isabela in a fit of rage, forcing her to seek refuge with the Security Room survivors. Turns out that she worked as a pharmacist at the Santa Cabeza research facility, giving her thorough knowledge of the zombies.
- Badass Biker: During her boss battle especially.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- The Dragon: To Carlito.
- High Heel Face Turn
- Hot Scientist
- Morality Pet
- Only Sane Man
"I'd say this mission isn't quite over yet."
Sadistic US special forces officer responsible for "mopping up" the Willamette outbreak. Turns out he was also head of the equally brutal Santa Cabeza clean-up operation, and its subsequent cover-up.
- Armies Are Evil
- Bald of Evil
- Big Bad
- Complete Monster
- Evil Laugh: And you can photograph it for drama Prestiege Points.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Sort of. While he clearly has no qualms executing innocent civilians in the Williamette outbreak or any remorse for conducting the clean up operation at Santa Cabeza, and even hints at a more cynical outlook on humanity, he also makes it clear that he was not happy with not being allowed to ensure the Santa Cabeza operation was thoroughly finished, blaming that for Williamette's outbreak occurring.
"If we had been allowed to complete the operation back then, we wouldn't have been needed for this... incident."
- Fisticuffs Boss
- General Ripper
- Go Out With A Smile: A more disturbing example: Let's just say he seems to be a bit too eager to become Zombie food in the ending based on the closeup on his face as he falls into the hoarde of zombies.
- Knight Templar
- Lack of Empathy
- Neck Snap: Can use one of these on a weakened Frank as a finishing move.
"This is as far as you go!"
Frank: That's all it was to you huh, a mission! What about the innocent people who had to pay for mistakes commited by our government and its-
Brock: OUR MISTAKES HAVE NOT BEGUN WITH THIS OPERATION!
- Smoking Is Cool
- Tank Goodness: The first part of his fight involves him chasing you in a high tech tank. After disabling it Frank then finishes him off in a fistfight atop said tank.
- True Final Boss
- That One Boss
A fat female cop who has captured several women that she tortures and degrades.
- Complete Monster: Unlike other psychopaths, she'll actively attack her hostages if you're too far away.
- Degraded Boss: She's a really powerful zombie in Chop Till You Drop, there's actually two Jos in this game, one that's got two tazers, and the other is brown and has a tazer and a hand gun.
- Depraved Bisexual: She's seen molesting her victims with a nightstick and threatens an Ass Shove to Frank if he dares to interfere.
- Dirty Cop
- Fat Bitch: She's almost as big as Larry.
- For the Evulz
- Rape as Drama: Whatever she was doing with that nightstick, it couldn't have been pleasant...
- This Cannot Be!: How she takes her death at the hands of Frank.
The insane owner of "Seon's food and stuff." He is willing to use any means to protect his store from intruders... even lethal force.
- Bullfight Boss: His demon shopping cart looks scary... but is really easy to avoid.
- Foreshadowing: He tells the player that Isabela was looking for medicine just as Frank was for his ally Brad.
- Improvised Weapon: A shopping cart with lots of blades tied to the front.
- Jump Scare: His death.
- Large Ham: "THIS IS MY STOOOORRREEE!!!"
- Married to the Job: Who cares about all those zombies walking about? A man's gotta protect his store.
- Serious Business: His goddamn STOOOORRREEE!
- Shopping Cart Antics
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Sometimes whips out a shotgun if his ramming attack misses.
An obese butcher who this the zombies are spoiled meat and people are fresh meat. He ends up inflicting fatal wounds on Carlito by attaching him to a meat hook.
- Acrofatic: Just how the hell does a guy who looks like he could bitch slap a sumo wrestler into a coma move so freaking fast?!
- Ax Crazy: Clearly insane and cannibalistic, he also waves around a massive cleaver with nonchalance.
- Bilingual Bonus: The tattoo on his neck is the chinese for "meat".
- Fat Bastard
- Fridge Brilliance: Carlito reveals that his motivation involved the fact that the people of Santa Cabeza were killed in a cover up due to a failed attempt to make a lot more meat products. Larry is a butcher.
- Fridge Horror: Considering his tendencies, exactly for how long was he working in Willamette?
- Giant Space Flea From Nowhere
- Giggling Villain: And rather unpleasant too.
- I Am a Humanitarian
- Trust Me, I'm an X: "Trust me, I'm a butcher!"
A gun shop owner with severe trust issues. Instead of aiding the survivors by giving them guns he shoots at anyone (zombie or human) who gets too close to his store.
- Crazy Survivalist: Making him distrustful of everyone.
- Dirty Coward: As soon as you defeat him he starts pleading for mercy and assuming you wanted his guns so bad you'd kill for them. This is of course right after he shoots an unarmed survivor for daring to suggest he share his guns.
- Karmic Death: Gets killed by the same survivor (now a zombie) he shot in the cutscene before his fight.
- Heel Face Turn: You can save him in Chop 'Til You Drop. This allows you to upgrade weapons, but requires money to do so as opposed to merely taking the default guns from his shop when he's dead.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Which makes him That One Boss to many players.
- The Alcoholic: He even drinks in the middle of his fight with Frank. If you get a shot of him downing a bottle its worth a ton of PP.
Another photographer and rival to Frank.
- Annoying Laugh: As if he wasn't annoying enough already...
- Degraded Boss: He's just a zombie type in Chop Till You Drop.
- Karmic Death: Funny enough, you can actually kill him before he tries to pull the Moral Event Horizon, and you're not penalized for it.
- Moral Event Horizon: Attempting to zombify another survivor just so he can take a picture of it.
- The Rival: To Frank for most of the game. When Frank starts one-uping him he takes things too far...
A trio of escaped criminals who have somehow gotten ahold of a vehicle with a mounted machine gun. Rather then trying to survive or escape the mall, all they seem to care about is having fun while they can. Unfortunately, their definition of fun seems to be to assault/kill anyone they come across.
- Batter Up: The convict who isn't driving or using the turret wields a baseball bat unless the driver is killed. If that happens he will move over and keep the jeep moving himself.
- Complete Monster: All three of them.
- Demonic Spiders: You'll have to fight them sooner or later unless you plan to spend a lot of time avoiding gunfire or getting ran over. To make matters worse, if you enter another area to grab health items and come back any that you've killed come back to life.
- Establishing Character Moment: The first thing they do is take a swing at Frank when he steps out into the mall's park. When the guy with the bat misses they then decide to go after 2 other survivors. Sadly, Frank can only save one of them as the guy doesn't miss a second time.
- Quick Time Event/Press X to Not Die: Chop Till You Drop changes them into one long event, even if one hates this, it's a lot better than the alternative.
- Leitmotif: Gone Guru by Lifeseeker. It serves as an early warning if they're in the area when you enter.
- Unexplained Recovery: They respawn each day with a new vehicle and everything. This is never explained or elaborated upon.
A clown who was hired to entertain the people visiting the mall and went insane when the zombies killed his audience. Wields two chainsaws and uses various tricks in combat.
- Ax Crazy: With emphasis on "Crazy"
- Chainsaw Good: You even get to take them if you beat him.
- Dual-Wielding: Chainsaws.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He can inflate and toss at you some baloons filled with gas, but if they explode next to him he'll be damaged instead. He also ends up falling on his own chainsaws.
- Knife Nut: If Frank gets too far away from him he'll start tossing throwing knives at him.
- Large Ham: Well, he IS a clown... and insane...
- Laughing Mad: Even as he dies.
- Monster Clown: As if the hordes of zombies weren't bad enough...
- Shout-Out: Can be seen wearing a servbot button during cutscenes.
A Vietnam veteran who is undergoing flashbacks after seeing his granddaughter get killed by the zombies. He is one of the few psychopaths who shows any regret for what he has done.
- Badass Grandpa
- Degraded Boss: Tragically, he ends up as a zombie type in Chop Till You Drop, becoming one of the very things that murdered his granddaughter.
- Machete Mayhem
- Shell Shocked Senior: He thinks everyone around him is a Vietcong.
- Tear Jerker: He's probably the only psychopath you'll regret killing.
- Teleport Spam: Can use some trapdoors in the rooms to move around.
- Tragic Villain
The Hall family
A father and his two sons who are snipers that have taken refuge in the entrance plaza and shoot at anyone who passes by.
- Anti-Villain: The youngest one, he's also the one fans wished they could save.
- Cold Sniper: Although that doesn't stop them from congratulating each other on a well-aimed shot or doing a high five as Franks rushes them with a chainsaw...
- Death Glare: Roger. Jesus dude...
- Dirty Coward: They spend the whole fighting running and aren't above shooting Frank in the back.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Roger.
- Older Than They Look: Roger and his sons are all adults. Really.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: If you kill the other two, no matter what, the last will try to kill you.
- Shout-Out: Jack and Roger share names with the antagonists of The Lord of the Flies, like how Jack and Roger persuaded boys to join their tribe and kill Ralph, Jack and Roger Hall threaten and persuade Thomas to shoot Frank.
The leader of the "True Eye" cult who believes that spilling the blood of the nonbelievers will stop the zombies. He disappears after his introduction cutscene, but can later be found in the movie theater.
- Badass Grandpa: Despite being one of the oldest people in the mall he moves extremely fast and swings a huge sword around during his boss fight.
- Cool Sword
- Evil Old Folks
- Eye Scream: His death.
- Four Is Death: You fight him and the last members of his cult in theater number 4.
- Human Sacrifice: What he and his cult attempt to do when Frank first meets them. Ironically, he ends up killing himself on the very idol he himself made and tried to please this way.
- Karmic Death: In the end he "saw" the light...
- Large Ham
- Lightning Bruiser: He may be old, but he can keep up with Frank with ease, even with that big sword of his.
A young pyromaniac who uses molotov cocktails when fighting. If rescued after he sets himself on fire he becomes a valuable ally.
- Groin Attack: Self-inflicted, no less.
- Guide Dang It: When he sets himself on fire most people accidentally throw the fire extinguisher into his groin by using the aim button. You're supposed to just use it like any normal item by pressing the "B" button and holding it down until the fire goes out. It really doesn't help that the fire doesn't appear to be going out while the player is using the extinguisher, which means they'll have no idea its even working until the flames suddenly go out.
- Heel Face Turn
- Kill It with Fire: He even manages to catch himself on fire.
- Mad Bomber: In addition to his molotov's he'll also throw bombs at Frank and send explosive toy cars after him.
- Meaningful Name: Just drop the C off his last name.
- Molotov Cocktail: His main weapon. If saved he'll even share them with Frank.