|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
David and the Magic Pearl is an obscure Polish/Swedish animated film released in 1988. Its about a young kid named David who moves in to his vacation house in the jungle during summer along with his tobacco-addicted father and his oddly large-breasted mother, soon after, a series of strange events start unraveling.
A bunch of tiny, shiny, egg-shaped aliens called Spacers arrive at the jungle looking for a missing MacGuffin called a magic pearl, all while a poacher chick and her bumbling gorilla sidekick are out to catch as many animals as they can while looking for the Spacers and their pearls so they can please their boss, Mr. Stealmore, and get filthy rich. So David, along with his beagle Pips and a stray eagle chick David calls Sandy, set out to free the animals of the jungle, help the aliens find their pearls before Stealmore can and save the jungle from being destroyed.
Sounds interesting, right? Sadly, it's not. The characters are pretty uninteresting and the story so full of Plot Holes, Off-Model moments, and just plain nonsense that the actual plot seems to fade behind it, showing off such wonderful things such as Pink Elephants that fly and baby bird bungholes.
Can't believe such a movie exists? You can witness the madness right here.
- All Animals Are Domesticated: All the animals in this movie, especially the eagles, display a friendly demeanor towards David and show no signs of aggressiveness in situations where a real life animal would, especially the eagles.
- Captain Obvious: "You know, Dad, smoking's bad for your health."
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Mr Stealmore is apparently this.
- Deranged Animation: Oh my, and how!
- Expository Theme Tune: "Hey, everybody, here comes Da-vey!"
- Green Aesop: The usual aesop of the time.
- Heel Face Turn: The poacher chick after being trapped in one of her own cages. Her sidekick does the same.
- Hulking Out: For some reason Mr. Stealmore suddenly gets bigger.
- Lull Destruction: Get used to David stating the obvious, as moments without narration are few and far in between.
- Panty Shot: From the Poacher!
- Random Events Plot: A kid's family go to the jungle on vacation. Okay. Then he adopts a pet baby eagle. Sure, we can roll with that. Aliens show up to warn Davey that a corrupt corporate executive is going after a potent magical artifact. ...Wait, what.
- Rubber Hose Body: David's dad as he does some exercise.
- Starfish Aliens: The Spacers appear to be made of metallic cylindrical segments that float above each other.
- Temple Of Mind Screw
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Where did all those bulldozers go after Stealmore is defeated?
- Youtube Poop: watching this guy's poops is probably how many people found out about this.
- I IGNORE MY SON