|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Born David Boy Smith (Yes, that was his real name. His mother got confused with the Birth Certificate) on the 27th November 1962, Smith was to become one of the biggest names in British wrestling and one of the most famous foreign stars in the WWE in the 90's under his wrestling name, the British Bulldog. Starting off in the World of Sport, Smith's career would take him through the WWF and WCW as a successful tag and singles wrestler, notching up numerous title runs along the way.
Smith was most famous for the main event at Summer Slam '92 where he pinned Bret Hart to become the Intercontinental Champion in front of 80,000 fans of his home nation at the legendary Wembley arena. A long standing wrestler within the WWE in the 90's along with several stints in WCW of varying success, Smith's demons would eventually take their toll as years of painkiller and steroid abuse were responsible for his death by heart failure on the 18th May 2002. Despite that, Smith is largely remembered fondly for his role in the ring and extensive career.
Oh, and for being BIZARRE!
Tropes associated with Davey Boy Smith:
- Animal Motif
- Badass Long Hair: Prior to his Important Haircut in the late 90s.
- Bash Brothers: Shared this relationship with his brother-in-law Owen Hart throughout their lives. The two served as one of the better tag teams the WWE had in the mid 90's as well as being great friends in the back.
- Also fit this earlier in his career with his cousin Tom Billington, the legendary "Dynamite Kid", before they had a falling out in the 90's.
- Breakup Breakout: Due to trademarking the British Bulldog name for himself and Dynamite Kid's injuries.
- Demoted to Extra: During his final stints in both WCW and WWF.
- Finishing Move: The Running Powerslam served as Davey Boy's finisher as a singles competitor.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: He qualified when he wrestled in any country other than Britain as a Heel, but fit this trope best while a member of Bret Hart's anti-American Hart Foundation stable in 1997.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: More like Britains love Davey Boy Smith. He was part of the reason why the event was moved from Washington DC to London.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Relative in the world of wrestling of course as Smith was about average height, which is small compared to most other professional wrestlers. Despite that, he was billed as the 'strongest pound for pound' wrestler on the roster at times and was able to execute his patented delayed vertical suplex on guys like Sycho Sid, Warlord, Vader and the Undertaker.
- Underwear of Power: And by extension, Wearing A Flag As A Wrestling Attire.
- What Could Have Been: Was supposed to retain the European Title against Shawn Michaels at the 1997 pay-per-view entitled "One Night Only" in England. He even publicly dedicated the match to his dying sister. Instead, Shawn vetoed that, in favor of him beating Smith for the European championship.
- Wrestling Family: Was cousin to Tom Billington, more famously known as the Dynamite Kid. Along with that, he married Diana Hart, sister to Bret and became linked to that extensive family.