|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Dark Fury was directed by the Korean-American animator Peter Chung, and features Vin Diesel reprising his role of Richard B. Riddick. The story takes place between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick.
After escaping Hades, Riddick, Jack, and Imam are picked up by a transport vessel. They soon discover that it's a mercenary ship. Riddick attempts to disguise himself as William J. Jones but his guise undone by voice recognition technology and the trio are captured. They plan to hand Riddick over to the ships owner Antonia Chillingsworth, who intends to add him to her "collection". Chillingsworth enjoys taking criminals and freezing them as living statues to present as artwork, A Fate Worse Than Death.
The film provides some further explanation to exactly why Riddick decides to leave Jack behind and it shows the first instance of Jack's more violent side emerge.
Dark Fury contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: Antonia with her statue collection in Dark Fury.
- Bait and Switch Gunshot: Antonia's ready to shoot Riddick, but Jack shoots her with Junner's assault rifle
- Bounty Hunter: Dark Fury is almost entirely set on a ship full of them, which is where Toombs came from.
- Eye Scream: "When we meet again, I'm going to bury this in your eye." Which he does, and is shown in detail.
- Fate Worse Than Death: The “statues”. It's pointed out that the people are still very much alive, still conscious, but can't move. It's said that blinking an eye takes several days.
- The Future Is Noir
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Junner personally fights Riddick. And what's more, he puts down his assault rifle to do so. Admittedly, he takes out his bayonet sword, and Riddick only has a dagger.