|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A launch title for the Xbox 360's new motion controller, Kinect. This dancing game involves moving your body according to the indicators, but thanks to the sensors on the camera, it can read your whole body. This both adds more movement required for the player, but also means the moves had to be simplified compared to other dancing games to avoid physical strain.
The soundtrack is a bit narrower than other dance games, where most of the songs have a variety with the 2000s, but the songs from The Eighties and The Nineties are almost all hip hop, likely to fit with the urban dancing mood of the game.
The game also lacks local multiplayer, although it doesn't prevent friends from dancing along with you.
A sequel, Dance Central 2, was released on October 21, 2011 in Europe and October 25 in North America. It improves upon the original by adding true two-player gameplay in both competitive and cooperative modes, as well as a more in-depth practice mode, allowing players to select specific moves in a routine. Additionally, users can import songs from the original game, both on-disc and downloadable.
Provides Examples Of:
- All There in the Manual: Each crew member has a Twitter account.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes
- Big Bad: Dr. Tan in the second game
- Book Ends: The song list of the first game starts with "Poker Face" and ends with "Just Dance", both Lady Gaga songs.
- Cover Version: There's only one in the sequel.
- Downloadable Content
- Dueling Games: With both Dance Masters and Dance Paradise.
- Follow the Leader: Made after the runaway success of Just Dance.
- Friendly Rival: Played straight with every dance crew in Dance Central 2, except for the Glitterati, who are openly Jerkasses.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: Ttiw Tolrep, aka "The Pink Ninja"
- Old Save Bonus: If you have both Dance Central games, you can obtain for free in Dance Central 2 all of the songs from the previous game.
- Stock Poses: Some of the dancing moves are well known poses, likely Just for Fun.
- Unlockable Content
- Virtual Paper Doll