|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Character sheet for Cyberchase. Currently under construction and in need of a better organization scheme.
Tropes applying to the entire Cybersquad
- Badass Bookworm
- Color Coded for Your Convenience: Jackie favors yellow, Inez pink or purples, and Matt blue or green
- Freudian Trio
- My Friends and Zoidberg: Three Earth kids...and Digit.
- The Power of Friendship
- Power Trio
- Putting on My Thinking Cap: Jackie paces, Matt plays with his yo-yo, Inez does headstands. Lampshaded whenever Digit mimics Jackie's pacing
- The Smart Guy
- True Companions
- Summon Everyman Hero
- Token Trio
- Two Girls and a Guy: And, surprisingly, little drama.
11-year-old Farm Boy sucked into Cyberspace and recruited to help Motherboard. Carries a handy red backpack with him at all times, is reasonably athletic, and loves solving mysteries. Also loves Star Wars, the color green, Redwall, and Will Smith.
- Bag of Holding: He has a useful red backpack that he takes with him everywhere.
- Farm Boy
- Fiery Redhead: While admittedly Matt doesn't really have much of a temper (unless you're Inez), he is slightly more hot-headed than either of the girls.
- Friendly Enemy: To Slider
- Friend to All Living Things: According to the website, he owns a bearded dragon, an armadillo, two African water frogs, and a dog named Obi Wan Kadoggie, although he doesn't always fit the "nice" part of the description.
- Genius Ditz: While admittedly Matt isn't your traditional ditz, he is a bit less level-headed than his teammates and more likely to make decisions without thinking all the way through. Despite these traits, there is one area where Matt really shines: Greek Mythology. In fact, whenever that's involved, Inez and Jackie just shut up and watch him lecture.
- Hidden Depths: Hates Valentine's Day, but made a card for Jackie and Inez all the same. It doubles as a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- Idiot Hero: While he's still very bright, Matt has a tendency to make rash decisions and examine stuff that might have been the group's best interest to avoid.
- Redheaded Hero
- Token Minority: Take a good look kiddies. This is one of the few times you'll ever see a white male character in one of the lead roles on PBS.
- With Friends Like These...: To Slider and Inez.
Jackie is an 11-year-old girl who enjoys hanging out with her friends, and is possibly the hardest Earthlie to pin down in terms of character traits. She can be a little over-the-top with her emotions. She likes yellow, Destiny's Child, Shrek, tofu burgers, and Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech.
Jackie: Cyberspace is doomed, doomed I tell you, DOOOOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-HOO-OOMED!
Matt: And the award for the best dramatic outburst of the day goes to...Jackie!
- Magic Skirt: Eight seasons, and nothing, but it IS a kids' show
- Red Oni: To Inez's blue
- Shiny Midnight Black: stands out because she is one of the very few characters to have it
- Thinking Out Loud: She tends to do this on occasion.
- Twofer Token Minority: African-American and female.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She hates bugs.
9-year-old girl who loves learning and books. Has a huge vocabulary and is always asking questions about the world around her. Likes purple, popcorn, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Marc Anthony.
- Berserk Button: Just don't call her Nezzie (this goes double for Matt) or be a bad sport.
- Blue Oni: To Jackie's red.
- Brainy Brunette
- Geek: In general.
- Exposed to the Elements: Wears shorts, even to cybersites filled with snow.
- Friendly Rival: With Creech.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: She owns a cat named Gatito.
- Little Miss Snarker: She has her moments.
- The Napoleon: Do not call her short. Funnily enough she has no problem calling herself short.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Shorter Means Smarter
- Tsundere: A more assertive form of type B.
- Twofer Token Minority: Hispanic and female.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is not a fan of heights.
Your friendly neighborhood "cyboid" and unofficial Team Pet. He used to work for Hacker, but flew the coop upon realizing that Hacker wasn't exactly a great guy. A fan of the Dixie Chicks and "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach.
- Acrophobic Bird
- Bag of Holding: In his little compartment, we can find anything from Widget to measuring tools.
- Chekhov's Skill: Digit can cook really well.
- Cowardly Lion: In general, Digit is freaked out about everything, but always rushes in.
- Fake Defector: Has pretended to go back to Hacker several times.
- Gilbert Gottfried: voice actor
- Ironic Fear: He does not like heights.
- Kid Appeal Character
- The Lancer: to Matt, whenever the Cybersquad splits up
- Mook Face Turn
- Team Pet: Widget
- Turned Against Their Masters: He was built by Hacker.
Pompous, dastardly, and power-hungry—the Big Bad of the series, until his in-series Villain Decay. At the moment, he is currently attempting to rescue his image. Like the color puce and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Showing Hidden Depths, his favorite book is The Prince by Machiavelli.
He did a wonderful interview here.
- Bad Boss
- Big Bad: At least at first.
- Butt Monkey: In later episodes.
- Catch Phrase:
- Christopher Lloyd: Voice actor
- Fashion Victim Villain: Invoked During one episode, he tried to get Wicked to help him pick outfits after conquering Cyberspace. It didn't go well.
- Elvis Impersonator: When he attempted to conquer Happily Ever After
- Lantern Jaw of Justice: ...Except he's evil.
- Large Ham
- No Indoor Voice
- Smug Snake
- Spell My Name with a "The": the page quote
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Terrible Trio: With Buzz and Delete
- Turned Against Their Masters: Built by Dr. Marbles.
- Villain Decay: Lampshaded In-Universe
Buzz's first voice actor, Len Carlson, died in 2006. He was replaced by Len Carlson. The episode "Ecohaven: CSE" is dedicated to Mr. Carlson.
- Blue Oni: To Delete's red.
- Fat and Skinny: The fat to Delete's skinny.
- Harmless Villain
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Delete.
- Shorter Means Smarter: Smarter than Delete at any rate.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Donuts.
Although the website does not mention it, he really likes bunnies.
- And Call Him George: Delete wants a bunny so he can "love him, and keep him, and call him George."
- Butt Monkey: To Hacker's schemes.
- The Ditz
- Fat and Skinny: He is the skinny to Buzz's fat.
- Harmless Villain
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Buzz.
- Red Oni: To Buzz's blue.
- Robert Tinkler: Voice actor
- Villains Out Shopping: The Cybersquad has accused him of being up to no good even when he was just looking for Buzz.
Witch hailing from the cybersite of Happily Ever After. She's a bit obsessed with Hacker, to the point where she even faked being a princess to get to marry him.
In the ending credits, she took Dr. Marbles' place a few seasons in.
- Affably Evil: She's actually treated the Cybersquad decently on occasions. In the later seasons, she's more interested in trying to get with Hacker than taking over Cyberspace.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Conspicuous Consumption: After she helps Hacker take over Cyberspace, she immediately takes money and starts spending it willy-nilly, leading to an episode where the Cybersquad learns the benefits of managing your money efficiently and not wasting it on things you don't need.
- Evil Redhead
- Fiery Redhead
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: When she was pretending to be the Princess of Pompadouria, she picked out this for her wedding dress.
- Hot Witch: She's not ugly like a traditional witch, and she's good-looking enough for Hacker to be attracted to her.
New villain introduced towards the very end of season 8. He was a huge fan of The Hacker back in the day, and aspired to be just like him.
- Ascended Fanboy: Became a villain just to impress Hacker
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else: He actually looks fairly normal and acts nicely in his introduction.
The benevolent ruler of Cyberspace. Unfortunately, she's also pretty useless thanks to Hacker's virus. Her role in the series is mostly to give the kids their next assignment.
- Badass Bookworm
- The Chick
- The Mentor
- The Pollyanna: Not quite as extreme though.
- Status Quo Is God: Every time the kids find the Encryptor Chip, it gets destroyed or sent away.
- The Stoic
- Team Mom
A friend of the Cybersquad. His dad was once a friend and coworker of Hacker's, but went into hiding. In one of the StoryArcs, the Cybersquad helps him find his dad. He occasionally helps out the Earthlies and is popular with the fans.
- The Charmer
- Chick Magnet: Much to Matt's chagrin.
- Friendly Enemy: To Matt. It's more from Matt's end because Inez likes Slider a lot and Matt (supposedly) likes Inez (not that he'll admit it).
- Innocent Prodigy
- Sixth Ranger
- Totally Radical: He comes from Radopolis. Slider himself is less Totally Radical than most of the other citizens of Radopolis that we've seen.
- With Friends Like These...: Mostly to Matt.
Sam Vander Rom
Journalist seen around Cyberspace reporting on various doings. Quite the Deadpan Snarker.
- Al Roker: Voice actor
- Blue Oni: To Erica's red
- Deadpan Snarker: So, so much
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Sam Vander Rom...CD-rom...
- With Friends Like These...: To Erica Ram
An associate of Sam Vander Rom's. She is also a journalist.
- Red Oni: to Sam's blue
The current ruler of the Cybersite Tikiville.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her default costumes has these feature.
- Birds of a Feather: Is really close with Inez.
- Friendly Rival: With Inez
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness
- Sixth Ranger
- Stephanie Beard: Voice actor
Penguin who became one of the True Companions of the Cybersquad in the later seasons.
"For Real" segments
- Butt Monkey: At first, but it tones down later.
- The Ditz: Occasionally.