|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Crimson Flag is a fantasy furry action/adventure (semi-) medieval-themed webcomic about two tribes of anthropomorphic foxes that don't quite get along. The Red Reyn [red foxes] conquered Reynland long ago, and the Grays [gray foxes] found themselves owing fidelity to a crown no longer their own. Regardless, peace followed for many a year after the long war. Until, of course, someone had a brilliant plan.
This comic provides examples of:
- Art Evolution: The first 116 comics were penciled by Tod Wills while Virmir wrote the script and colored, at comic 117 Virmir started sketching too (compare his more cartoony style to the comic before)
- Artificial Limbs: Quite possibly Sir Bryce's "gauntlet".
- Ash Face: Voltar, after being blasted by the Baron's invention.
Baron: Hmmm...that was supposed to explode your head.
- Badass: Bryce, even as a feral
- Baleful Polymorph: The Queen falls victim to this.
- Calling Your Attacks: Somewhat parodied with Voltar.
- Chekhov's Chakram, first appearance
- Color Coded for Your Convenience
- Cool Hat: Voltar has quite a few.
- Distressed Damsel: The Queen, to an extent.
- Fantastic Racism: Reds against Greys
- Faux Affably Evil: Julian.
- Frickin' Laser Beams
- Fantasy Writers Have No Sense of Scale: Caerreyn's population of 700 is said to be "unimaginable".
- Hammerspace: "I thought you checked their hats..."
- Intrepid Merchant: Voltar, to the point of trying to sell stuff to the adventurers who commandeered his ship.
- Magic Feather: Voltar's "Amulet of Memory and Focus" is strongly hinted to be one.
Sierra: He seemed so confident when he was wearing it. Probably sentimental...there're certainly no spells attached to it.
- Magic Knight: Bryce, though he doesn't cast spells just uses magic weapons. Many Grey warriors, given their innate talent for magic.
- Magitek: Airships, and their cannons.
- Crystal Balls are used as cellphones.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Emiline, and in page 162, she gets upgraded to Glowing Eyes of Doom.
- Shout-Out: To Zero Wing. The Grey king contacts the red council (heralded by "We're getting a signal!) and says; "How are you gentlereyn?" This is replied to with "It's you!."
- Summon Magic: It is possible to summon elemental spirits, but this kind of magic is banned by the Red's religion as their goddess is a powerful spirit.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Emiline.
- Zeppelins from Another World: Fantasy-type airships