|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Creamsicle is an internet meme that began life on Tumblr in May 2012, and spawned an enormous Fandom literally overnight. It started off when tumblr user beekkake made a drawing poking fun at stereotypes about girls who use tumblr and Facebook. Another user made Fan Art of the two girls kissing, which led to numerous jokes about Shipping them together, with the Portmanteau Couple Name of "Creamsicle". Less than a week later, there were hundreds of fanfics, art, comics, and even Filk Songs based on Creamsicle, as well as Spin-Off characters. Most of this stuff can be found here.
The two characters are referred to as Snowflake and Sunglasses or Normal-chan and Other Girl-sempai (or simply Normal and Other).
Creamsicle provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: The entirety of the Creamsicle fandom is arguably a big fat meta-parody of itself and of fandom in general.
- Brainy Brunette: Snowflake.
- Casual Nudity: Other Girl-sempai, if you see the black stripe as being a censor bar.
- Cool Shades: Sunglasses, of course.
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Sunglasses.
- Depending on the Artist: Is the black stripe around Sunglasses's chest a bra, a censor bar, or a very small shirt? What are their eye colors?
- Depending on the Writer: Since there is no official Canon, Sunglasses and Snowflake's characterizations may vary depending on who's writing them. Their basic personalities don't change much (Sunglasses is a sexy party girl, Snowflake is a nerd who writes fanfiction), but any details beyond that are entirely up to the writer.
- Dumb Blonde: Sunglasses (when she isn't shown to have Hidden Depths, anyway).
- Gag Boobs: Sunglasses has them.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Snowflake, Sunglasses, and the various Spin-Off characters are often referred to with Japanese Honorifics.
- Fanon: Again, there is no official Canon, so pretty much every fanfic written about them is based entirely on fanon.
- Hair Contrast Duo: Three guesses who (and the first two don't count).
- Hime Cut: Snowflake's hair is usually drawn this way.
- Hipster: Snowflake.
- Memetic Outfit:
- Official Couple: Sunglasses and Snowflake, obviously.
- Opposites Attract: The entire point of the pairing.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Well, yeah.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Snowflake.
- Public Domain Character
- Rule 63: Sunglasses and Snowflake have been drawn as men on more than one occasion.
- Self-Deprecation: Snowflake embodies almost every stereotype about fanfic writers who use Tumblr. Most of the people who write stories and make art about her are fanfic writers who use tumblr.
- Seme & Uke: Lots of Fan Art shows Snowflake as the uke to Sunglasses's seme. Usually Played for Laughs.
- Soapbox Sadie: Snowflake.
- Stealth Parody: The original drawing was supposed to be a parody of self-righteous hipsters. A lot of people didn't get the joke.
- Stripperiffic: Sunglasses's outfit.
- Tan Lines: Other Girl has them.
- Tsundere: A common portrayal of Snowflake.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Snowflake writes Slash Fic.
- Yuri Fan: It's not uncommon to see Snowflake as one of these.