|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Anonymous Poster #1: Woody is stuck inside Sunnyside with the gang, and has just had his arm torn off by Lotso. Luckily, a rifle through the confiscated items drawer and a bit of duct tape later, Woody has a new arm -- a Swiss Army knife duct-taped to his shoulder, Ash Williams style. Now what shall he do with his new arm? Bonus points if you can get Ken to call Woody's new arm "groovy".
Crack Fic is not merely humorous. In fact in many cases it doesn't have to be humorous. While it is similar to Alternate Universe Fic, in that they both change some fundamental aspect of the source material, the "something's different about this" idea taken to the extreme. In its broadest sense, crack fic is any story whose premise and events would be completely implausible in Canon. These frequently include bizarre settings and explorations of improbable relationships between characters—not merely unlikely in canon, as in Foe Yay, but totally irrational and turned up a notch beyond that, as in Crack Pairing.
Crack fic is often considered the result of a challenge, either from someone outside the author or from the author him/herself: "This idea is completely unworkable, but I bet I can make it work." The name stems from the notion that the author must have been ingesting some illegal substance just to think up the idea, let alone write it.
Even more than the rest of the realm of Fanfic, crack fic is proof of Sturgeon's Law. Much of what is actually labeled as crack fic is pure nonsense, streams of out-of-character absurdity stereotypically written by young teen girls who were "soooooo high on sugar/caffeine/cold medicine/red cordial/crack that I had this great idea lol" and don't understand that "randomness" and the in-jokes they share with their friends do not actual humor make.
The rare and shining well-written crack fic, however, interweaves an outlandish premise with solid characterization, internally consistent logic, and a clear understanding of the rules and feel of the source material (as every writing teacher in history has said, you have to know the rules before you can break them). It's a difficult tightrope to walk, and it's easy to fall off one side or the other into "not quite enough to make the premise work" or "so crazy that it no longer makes any sense." This difficulty frequently drives both authors (who balk at the work involved) and readers (who are often skeptical that the author has really pulled the premise off) away from the genre, but crack fic fans agree that the discovery or creation of a successful story is well worth the search.
- 1 "Official" Examples
- 2 Fan Work Examples
Anime and Manga
- In the bonus episode of Darker than Black one of Misaki's coworkers got it in her head to write Hei into her crack fic. Given Yin's recitation, it involved improper relations with an elephant.
- Axis Powers Hetalia: History on crack.
- Take all the important characters from Re:Zero, Overlord, KonoSuba, and Youjo Senki, make Chibi versions of them, and put them all in one anime (in a setting resembling Saved by the Bell, and you've got the basic idea of Iseki Quartet.
- The second season added characters from The Rising of the Shield Hero and Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious. With a third season announced, they may not stop there...
- And the cast also appeared in a crossover event on Maple Story.
- Read this to see what happens when the whole Marvel crew starts smoking crack.
- Archie meets The Punisher. Really.
- Speaking of Archie, how about Archie meets KISS. Not kidding.
- Funny or Die's When Harry Met Sally... II. It starts off staunchly Original Flavor with the mildly cracky premise of Harry in an old folks' home after Sally's death, falling in love for the second time with Helen Mirren's character. Then the vampires show up.
- Bubba Ho-Tep features an elderly Elvis and JFK (who's brain has been transplanted into a black man's body) fighting a mummy. I swear I'm not making that up.
- Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter is a musical movie in which Jesus, in the modern day, kills vampires... and sings.
- The brucesploitation "classic" The Dragon Lives Again, featuring Popeye, Kwai Chang Caine, The One-Armed Swordsman, 007, The Man With No Name, The Godfather, Laurel and Hardy, The Exorcist, Dracula and Emmanuelle with most of them trying to conquer Hell/The Underworld.
- Seltzer and Friedberg's movies, especially Disaster Movie.
- Sony actually tried to pitch a movie that crossed Men in Black with 21 Jump Street, and it got as far as James Bobbin (the director of Alice Through the Looking Glass) signing on as director, but sadly never got further than that.
- Twilight is arguably a Crack Fic of Vampire Mythology. Furthermore, the fourth book, Breaking Dawn is arguably a Crack Fic of itself.
- The Rocky Horror Discworld Show. Yes, it's official; made with the permission of Richard O'Brien and the enthusiastic encouragement of Terry Pratchett, the only performance took place at the 2010 Discworld Convention. Carrot and Angua are Brad and Janet, Lord Vetinari is Frank-N-Furter and Igor and Igorina are... oh, you guessed.
- Speaking of Terry Pratchett, Good Omens is arguably a Crack Fic of the Bible (specifically, the Book of Revelation).
- "Can't Smeg Won't Smeg" was the first feature of Red Dwarf Night, the Red Dwarf Tenth Anniversary Celebration. It is Red Dwarf as a cooking show, based on a real English cooking show. One full of the unintentional hilarity that comes of asking these characters to cook.
- The Glee episode "Comeback".
- Similar to Super Smash Bros., we have "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny". It includes unrelated characters such Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Care Bears, Mister Rogers, and everyone else in between, and they are all battling each other to the death in Tokyo for no apparent reason.
- TMNT Troll Dolls. No, seriously, these are real. Someone actually thought Troll Ninja Turtles would sell, which they didn't. Of course, if you did buy one it might be wise to hang onto it, because they're pretty rare now.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl. If canon could be Crack Fic, then Brawl would be the veritable god of the world of crack fic. The entire plot of the story mode makes absolutely no sense and the premise the game works on is that the characters are all actually "trophies" based on various Nintendo characters that have come to life and live in their own world, as playthings, and they face the possibility of being trapped in their non-living "trophy" forms forever. The reason it works well is because the characters don't have characteristics or personalities. The sole exception is Snake, and as such he acts completely out of character, always questioning the bizarre shit happening around him.
- The bonus "External Gazer" short story on the Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance disc is a moving drama about Snake, Otacon and Mei Ling teaming up to battle a giant sea monster from another dimension. Mei Ling turns out to be secretly married to Solidus, and it gets weirder (and increasingly Genre Savvy) from there. It's all told from Snake's first-person point of view, and he's utterly deadpan about everything.
- Kingdom Hearts definitely qualifies. It starts as a Final Fantasy/Disney crossover and gets stranger from there. Somewhat mitigated by the fact that by the end, the main conflicts all stem from the main cast, consisting almost entirely of characters made up exclusively for the series; the Final Fantasy characters are merely cameos and side stories. Mocked in this Penny Arcade strip.
- "Another Day" in The World Ends With You is what happens when you allow Square Enix to write a Crack Fic of itself. Dramatic changes for each character in the world create an extremely bizzare Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Serious Business world. And, yes, the Ambiguously Gay Bishounen is not Ambiguous anymore, and there's a Shipper on Deck who extremely loves the idea.
- Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe definitely counts. To clarify, Shao Kahn and Darkseid inadvertently get fused into a monster named Dark Kahn who begins fusing the two universes, and makes everyone fight each other via his Hate Plague.
- Dengeki Gakuen RPG: Cross of Venus is another crossover game that could have been designed only by people being high at the time. The premise is that an evil organization is causing Canon Defilement. And if the fact that Bludgeoning Angel Dokurochan meets Kino's Journey in the game didn't tip you off already, it just gets downhill afterwards with such absurdities like a creepy-looking villainous clone of Minori Kushieda, and time travelling in Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu courtesy of Reality Warper Aureolus Izzard.
- The premise of The Simpsons Game is that the eponymous family discover that they are part of a video game. Then they get into the game engine and save 8-bit counterparts of themselves from getting destroyed by Will Wright. Subsequently the characters get into different video games to get key cards that let them find their creator.
- The Marvel vs. Capcom series combines one thing that Marvel and Capcom share. Their insane love of crossovers. On the note of Capcom, there is also the Japan-only RPG Namco X Capcom which combines MANY characters from both Namco and Capcom games into one clusterfuck of an RPG... which looks totally awesome. And it's canon for Super Robot Wars Original Generation: Endless Frontier. At least regarding Namco X Capcom OCs and characters from Xenosaga.
- We knew that Professor Layton was a little anachronistic, but a crossover with the Ace Attorney universe!? That's just plain ridiculous!
- In the pleasant (or pleasant-seeming if the player is of a more malevolent sort) world of The Sims, you can find Tiberium in Egypt, and references to a galaxy-saving shepherd should you go to the future via time machine. Even mixing the latter two would be an impressive achievement, but combining them with a world where Rule of Funny is a borderline physical law? Have fun.
- Sam & Max: Freelance Police: The Devil's Playhouse probably counts as a Crack Fic for the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Square Enix does it again with Dissidia.
- Iji lets you find a translator made by one of the aliens. Iji's translator works just fine, but if you turn on the alien's translator, well...
- Arm Joe is an Indy freeware game that is a Fighting Game adaptation of Les Misérables. No, you heard that right, someone in Japan did this. Playable characters include Jean, Javert, Cosette, Marius, a small dog-lik creature, and a robotic version of Jean. Despise the bizarre nature of the game, the references to the core source are, in fact, rather spot-on.
- Jack's third episode of Totally Non Canon Theater, Frigid McThunderbones. There are no words to describe it except "cracky". Well, and probably also "offensive" (at at least one point to any given reader).
- In The Inexplicable Adventures of Bob, Molly likes to write fanfics along the lines of The Brothers Karamazov meets Harold and The Purple Crayon. Harold uses his purple crayon to draw a door on Dmitri's Siberian prison cell wall. Then they and Grushenka go trekking across the Siberian wilderness. And the Moon goes with them.
- Duck Dodgers provides several examples:
- The episode where Duck Dodgers joined the Green Lantern Corps. Yes, they used the actual DC characters. He went to Oa and fought Sinestro and everything.
- On that basis, the episode where he ate poorly made Fugu, hallucinated he was Samurai Quack and fought Aku/Happy Cat, who was actually his father.
- There is also episode where Dave Mustaine from Megadeth saves the day. Keep in mind that his early albums are certainly not for young children.
- Both Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law are entirely premised as crack fic.
- Show Within a Show version: The Simpsons episode "Girlie Edition" has a cartoon called Mattel and Mars Bar Quick Energy Chocobot Hour, featuring Captain Ersatz versions of Transformers as robot chocolate bars. Lindsey warns Krusty that the cartoon is "barely legal as it is" but it still ends up released.
- Another Show Within a Show example: The Critic had an episode where Sherman reviews the new Clint Eastwood movie, Beverly Hills Robo Canine Cop and a Half 2. In the clip shown, Eastwood (as his Dirty Harry character) gets a new android partner, who promptly explodes. He then gets five more, a lady cop, a cute little kid, an ugly old dog, a dinosaur, and a leprechaun (the last of which explodes). In the next clip, the unlikely group meets another cop with a worse group: a pig, an alien, a pair of Siamese twins, a sofa, and a second-rate mime. (Who explodes.) Like most of the films Sherman reviews, this one looks pretty bad.
- Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels was more or less Charlie's Angels teamed up with a super-powered caveman from Fred Flintstones' time period. Indeed, Cavey made a lot more sense when he later appeared in cartoons where the Flintstones were the stars.
- There's a certain word game where one person starts a story with the first sentence, and each person in the group adds on another sentence. With certain groups of people competing to make the story even weirder than it was before, this can get pretty surreal. Also goes for certain improv games. The more formalized version is called "Consequences," and asks a different person to fill in one of the following, in order, then fold the paper so his entry is unreadable and pass to the next person. The items are 1. Man's Name 2. Woman's Name 3. Place 4. Reason they were there 5. What he said 6. How she replied 7. What happened. Hilarity Ensues.
Fan Work Examples
- Anything written by Oxenstierna D Yuki Rin. Her crack fics have everything and anything a crack fic could have, including musical numbers, parodies, pop culture references, Big Lipped Alligator Moments, her OCs for One Piece that are very wacky themselves, cameos made by various anime characters, and even things that should reach Memetic Mutation status.
- Essentially anything David Gonterman writes is unintentionally a Crack Fic... of the worst possible kind.
- Nearly everything written by Dannichu.
- Anything by Peter Chimaera.
- Quarter-Life: Halfway to Destruction.
- Peter Chimaera book of hsitorical faFfiction is 44 pages of gold. One story, Einstein's Theory of Justice, starts with Einstein "discovering" that he "invented" his Theory of Relativity and ends with a battle with Thomas Edison who used the theory to time travel to that moment to steal it for himself and take the credit. It really picks up once Edison recruits the mummy of Julius Caesar to fight Einstein.
- Batman: Nemesis Fight. We won't spoil anything in the short story.
- One of the current kings of this trope is Shadow Crystal Mage. His works include such gems as:
- Takamachi Nanoha of 2814 where the eponymous character gets a Green Lantern Ring on top of Raging Heart. That's just the first chapter. The later chapters gets more insane, with Megazords, Godzilla and somehow this very Wiki getting thrown in...
- Magical Girl Magistra Erebea Molly!, the world's first The Dresden Files / TV Tropes crossover.
- VENGEANCE! The Musical! The Story of Uchiha Sasuke!: 8 year-old Sasuke makes a play about how he's going to kill Itachi. It becomes a big hit and Konoha's biggest tourist attraction.
- The Door is a Tale Spin/Stargate SG-1 crossover that actually makes sense. Yes, furries and the Stargate universe and it makes sense. Worth a look if you like both franchises.
- Oddly, his stories also tend to take on a serious note in later chapters, generally around chapter 3 or 4, with things like plot and character development appearing, without in any way reducing the crack level.
- If Shadow Crystal Mage is the king of this trope, then Sue Mary is surely the queen. She wrote a fanfic where Hannah Montana falls in love with Po.
- Many of Hans Von Hozel's works fall into this category.
- The Twins Of Hazard's Law and Order fics.
- A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes is a crossover with Axis Powers Hetalia and the Superman universe in which one of the Nation-tans is ensnared by an alien plant called the Black Mercy. Plenty of potential for lulz and suckage, but damned if it's not one of the most well-written and moving fills from the Kink Meme.
- There is a crossover between Dragonball Z and The Diary of a Young Girl. Anne lives, falls in love with Goku, and Hitler turns Super Saiyan shortly before Goku vaporizes him. One gets the feeling that this was inspired by an O.D. on a combination of Psychedelics, Ritalin, and bad ingenuity. The fic in question can be found here. It is possible that its genesis lay not in drugs but in a misguided middle-schooler coming home from school after learning about the holocaust, thinking, "Man, Hitler sucks! Goku should kick his ass!" And then he set his eyes on the computer, and one of the great legends of fan fiction was born. The fic is read by Bennet the Sage here: . And believe it or not, this kind of already happened in canon. It's called the 12th movie, Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn. No, seriously. Hitler got revived in the 12th movie, and Goten and Trunks kicked his ass in Saiyajin form. It's only in the uncut DVD release. All TV Syndications edit out all scenes with Hitler.
- Here is a crossover between Star Wars and The Land Before Time. It works.
- Ladies and gentlemen, the world's first Harry Potter /Tetris crossover.
- Beloved: Sethe of the Rebellion attempts to mix Toni Morrison's Pulitzer prize winning novel Beloved with Code Geass.
- Kaiju Moon. Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Sailor Moon/Godzilla crossover. Reincarnation went a little... misdirected. Most of Shritstrang's work is rather cracky. Including a Ranma ½/Super Mario Bros. crossover, where Ryoga and Kodachi turn out to be koopas. And a Harry Potter and Sailor Moon crossover fic where Severus Snape ends up becoming Sailor Mars.
- In another bizarre crossover involving Ryoga from Ranma ½, Ryouga vs. the Road Runner. Exactly What It Says on the Tin, and yes, it's that Road Runner.
- The Nostalgia Critic Meets FFVII: The Review that Never Happened -- A FanFic. Take the The Nostalgia Critic and throw him into a world where the Final Fantasy VII characters want a better review and kidnap him. Then throw in sex-change materia, the infamous Wall Market, pissed off FFVII Characters and what do you get? A crack fic! Also, Aerith and Sepiroth get married. A Crack Pairing if there ever was one. Warning: NSFW.
- Nightwing Nin. A Darkwing Duck/Naruto crossover, where Darkwing Duck's ghost takes a young Sasuke Uchiha under his wing.
- Carrot Juice, Earl Grey, Hot—Bugs Bunny vs. the Borg. A legendary Looney Tunes/Star Trek: The Next Generation crossover.
- Sailor Hellblazer (here). Surprisingly, it's actually good.
- There is a crossover between Seinfeld and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in which the entire village of Hinamizawa is somehow moved right next to Jerry's apartment. It featured the main characters of both shows interacting in various ways, the most notable being Kramer and Rika falling in love. The fic ended with Newman becoming possessed by Hinamizawa syndrome and murdering Rika by torturing her. Upon finding the dead body, the fic ended with Kramer shedding a Single Tear. Unfortunately, it was posted on someone's private website that has since been taken down.
- CSI + Charlie and the Chocolate Factory = CSI: Death By Chocolate. The most common comment was along the lines of "This shouldn't work!" But it does, wonderfully.
- Larry Boy and the Little Man of Purpleness: A Star Wars/Veggie Tales crossover.
- The Darker Knight, coming with a terminal case of bad grammar, a Mary Sue by the name of Batcousin (seriously, that's her name), and a crossover with Half Life: Full Life Consequences, this comes off as deviously hilarious. Now with its own dramatic reading.
- Beserker Hell is Warhammer 40,000 meets Winnie the Pooh. There's also Teletubbies: Imperial Purge. The Blood Ravens purge the Khornate Teletubbies.
- The Insane Cafe RP tetralogy definitely fits. What else can you call a series where Wataru, Dr. Zanasiu, Scooby Doo, Guilemon, Eevee, Nani, Spyro and Cynder meet and band together to fight a global threat with their base of operations being either a cafe, a small coastal town or a starship?
- This Dora the Explorer and The Lord of the Rings crossover with all the dialogue in Gratuitous Iambic Pentameter.
- An April Fools' Day joke video presents possibly the most insane fanfic premise of all times. Be sure to protect your minds... If you really want to know, it's Haruhi Suzumiya versus Invader Zim.
- This piece features the crew of the Enterprise visiting a planet featuring characters from The Lion King, and actually features some good drama.
- Osaka and the Yellow Sign is Azumanga Daioh vs. H.P. Lovecraft. Azumanga Daioh wins.
- This Phineas and Ferb + Glee crossover called SPACTACULAR; even the writer acknowledges how strange it is.
- Someone decided to cross Haruhi Suzumiya with TV Tropes, and later added in the cast of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Whilst it makes perfect sense when you read it, telling someone anything from the story itself is... odd. Like mentioning how Kyon, Nagato, and Tsuruya managed to defeat 24 Yakuza in a fight without getting harmed. It's called Kyon: Big Damn Hero.
- Eragon vs. the Ultimate Evil and its sequel subtitled "Who Cares" involves Eragon and Murtagh teaming up with Jack Sparrow, Boba Fett, Aang, Harry Potter and various other characters to violently murder Barney the Dinosaur and various other "baby show" characters like The Teletubbies, Dora the Explorer, and Captain Planet. Despite its insane premise, it manages to have a coherent (but still wacky) plot. Oh, and Jack gets a dragon of his own.
- Mighty Morphin Mecha Rangers is a true crack fic that combines of Yu-Gi-Oh, Code Geass, Gundam, Transformers, Zoids, The Vision of Escaflowne, The Big O, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann into one fic. The premise? Kaiba has taken over a city named Angel Groove, and it gets attacked by monsters that grow big because of some guy on the moon ( Kaworu), who apparently takes orders from Zeus as played by Liam Neeson. So Kaiba alternately hires and blackmails the 5 main pilots to come to the city and work for him to defend the city. Oh yeah, and the Mecha can combine. It's actually really really good, takes a mostly comedic tone very similar to that used by Team Four Star and Little Kuriboh to mock itself and the source material. It also just has a good time and a good romp and fight crime/monsters.
- And Shine Heaven Now is a Mega Crossover Crack Fic centered primarily around the cast of Hellsing. It's also yet another example of crack fic done right.
- Outrage!, by Rich Morris, writer of The 10 Doctors. Possibly the only time you will ever see the Sixth Doctor meet Jem and the Holograms. He also has a few one-shots on his blog featuring Bugs Bunny as the Doctor. Yeah. Morris' Jem crossover is especially cracky in that it turns Eric Raymond (Jem's Big Bad) into a disguised Zygon (or is he?) and his toady Techrat into a banished Time Lord.
- Charlie the Unicorn meets Charlie the White Knight.
- Music is a Virus. Basically, Sharpay Evans turns up dead and Bones and company try to figure out who's responsible, while a virus that causes people to state their emotions by singing and dancing starts to infect people.
- The Anti Cliche and Mary Sue Elimination Society (ACMSES) started out as these before getting serious. Nevertheless, there's still the odd crack fic in the middle of it all. For example, there is a minor character named Fred, who is the Major Persona of Crack. He's a fat man with a mustache who wears a coconut shell bra and grass skirt... Ewwwwwww. In his first appearance, he helps out with a dance competition in the Elite Beat Agents fandom. He puts an Agent through a rigorous training to help him win. By the end of the fic, he uses a guitar like a sledgehammer and vice versa. It Makes Sense in Context. Okay, not really.
- Crossovers Can Drive You Crazy is a fic in which Alucard (from Hellsing), ends up getting sent to Sesame Street to kill the Count.
- Decks Fall, Everyone Dies is a rather long crack fic, crossing Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series with Moulin Rouge.
- All The Stars In The Sky is a fanfic where Kamina leads a bunch of Orks fighting the Chaos and recruits the help of the cast of Total Drama Island. And it works. Just imagine Kamina wielding a chainsaw katana.
- In the fic How the God Conquered World Tour, Kratos, after slaying the Greek Pantheon, decides to watch Total Drama World Tour, thinks it sucked and decides to complain on the internet. It's a surprisingly good Author Tract.
- Presenting the Naruto fic Of Youkai, Life and Other Things and its sequel, Across the Goldstar Barrier, both crossovers with Axis Powers Hetalia and My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. They're much, much better than they sound.
- There exists a crossover of Dragon Age II with Jersey Shore. Seriously, it exists.
- A recipe: Take one lovable goofball named Ed, add a tentacle-bearded pirate named Davy Jones, stir in a well known fast food restaurant, and presto! You get Ed and Davy Jones Work At McDonalds.
- Final Stand of Death is a Continuation of Celebrity Deathmatch, where Marilyn Manson is faced with an army of The Disembodied Souls of his fallen foes, who seems suspiciously like a certain girl group, with Planet Dolan and random YouTubers checking out... possibly a Meta Fic as well.
- Hazbin Hotel has had a lot of crossovers with Doom since the pilot first aired, with many of them involving Charlie acting as a mediator, negotiator, or therapist toward the invading Doomguy. One example here.
Anime and Manga
- The Dys FU Nctional Pirates, which is a series of One Piece crack one-shots.
- For fans of Katekyo Hitman Reborn, we have The Tale of the Samba Pineapple, specially written for April Fools' Day.
- Shinji and Warhammer40K. Shinji Ikari (Butt Monkey) gets a Warhammer 40,000 set at age 6 or so, and it makes him akin to the God-Emperor of Man; that is, inhumanly Badass. He turns Eva 01 into a Titan. Kamina would be proud. When it comes to Shinji becoming the Emperor, all signs point to "yes." Later, Shinji leads an army of Terminators, super tanks, and psychics against a horde of zombies. Well, there's something in every chapter. Also, Rei gets orky. The author, on a forum where he has the story proof-read, made a comment that he believed that he has been writing Ritsuko too flat, and that he might have her break through as a Spark. The actual page for this sums it up:
"This fic is not on crack. Crack is on this fic."
- Naruto 40,000.
- Thousand Shinji and its even more crack-tastic sequel The Open Door, To pick one plot line out off The Open Door: A daemon (who eats souls, and kills people with tentacles) named Lars and Skuld cause an industrial revolution, change the nature of magic and raise a child. Oh, and Skuld is technically the father.
- There is a Naruto fanfic about what allegedly happened during Itachi's story. Where to start...? Well, he accidentally killed his friend during a spar, accidentally killed the entire clan (after he used the wrong side of his sword to threaten them with... oops)... the list goes on. And his super torture move? He distracts the target then screams in their face. First person to guess what goes here gets a cookie!
- This mixes Fullmetal Alchemist and Pokémon together in a very, very weird way. The title, Pokémists: Pocket Alchemists should speak for itself.
- All You Need Is Love from the Death Note fandom has Light/Naomi Misora as the pairing, makes Naomi the narrator, and just takes what it wants. One of the best crack fics in existence despite butchering of grammar.
- Ever wondered what it would be like if Ah! My Goddess experienced a Zombie Apocalypse? It's actually quite good.
- A Bleach fanfic version of this: Love and the Art of War. Nanao X Kenpachi Zaraki. In the words of the author, "Nanao X ...Zaraki? I have no excuse, explanation, or defense of this pairing whatsoever. So very, very sorry. The crack! It burns!" And it's actually good.
- Slope, a Death Note crack fic. This fic is only particularly funny due to its radically understated final line.
- This ridiculous Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic features, among other things, Canada behaving like a stereotypical Dastardly Whiplash-esque villain, North Italy & South Italy fighting an army of ninja hipsters, and Germany literally pulling a machine gun out of his ass. All of the fics by that author are Crack Fics to some extent, but this one just takes the cake.
- Gurren Jesus is a story where Jesus Christ saves Kamina. Then they ride motorcycles and fight nazis, including Hitler dressed up as Chester Cheetah. And it is awesome.
- In this one-shot Bleach fic, Aizen is accidentally defeated by being molested by Chizuru, who only saw him from the back and assumed from his super-long mullet of power that he was a girl. No summary can possibly do justice to the sheer cracky hilarity.
- In Uninvited Guests, Yachiru burns entire 11th division while baking a cake, Hitsugaya talks with a secretly evil imaginary cat, and Godzilla appears for some reason. The catch? Once you read it, everything makes sense... a lot. This is one of rare Crack Fic that manages to be both insane yet remarkably reasonable. Also, it's the closest and the best thing we have to Bleach Abridged Series.
- Magical Whip Girl Pretty Lotten-Chan is a pure crack fic. Lotten is described here as a Whip Girl and needs to save Crashtown. It is even weirder then it sounds.
- This Doujinshi crosses over Hidamari Sketch and Death Note (warning: site ads are NSFW).
- You Got Haruhi Rolled.
- This lovely Axis Powers Hetalia fic. The plot involves Austria's mole coming to life, and causing mayhem. Yes, you read that correctly. His mole. The author, though, fully acknoledges the weirdness, and the characters frequently break the fourth wall to comment on how strange the events happening are, and there are many pop culture refrences. The full title? The extremely amazing ballad of Austria's annoying mole and their amazing adventures when said mole comes to life: An Axis Powers Hetalia Troll Fic of EPICNESS!!! (a.k.a. the shorter title, "The Annoying Mole, a Hetalia Troll Fic").
- Looking for a weird Pokémon fanfic? Look no further than this absolutely insane one-shot right here. It involves many Non Sequiturs (Yay! Kill all water bottles!), James getting squished by a "giant Mario thing", Brock eating chicken noodle soup, and a guy named Bob. It ends with Little Miss Sunshine being eaten by a random guy.
- In this fanfic, the cast of The Land Before Time encounter Soviet naval spetsnaz. Surprisingly, it occasionally verges on WAFF.
- Black and White. "You didn't know that Pongo was a were-hound, did you? Did you?!"
- There's a Titanic/Star Wars crossover on Fanfiction.net. Oddly enough, it actually works.
- This "how it should have ended" clip combines Terminator and Back to The Future. It totally works.
- While it seems to have gone missing, three lines will convey it perfectly:
- The Wizard of Oz 3: Dorothy Goes To Hell, an animated Fan Sequel to Return to Oz made by James Rolfe, in which Dorothy, accompanied by a talking feces-encrusted pickle, travels to Oz on a sandcrawler to take the Red Brick Road to Hell and stop Satan and his brother Lucifer before they can blow up the world with an evil cyborg version of Jesus. Yes, really.
- As a side effect of having such a large fandom, Harry Potter has more crack fics than you can shake a wand at.
- We simply cannot have a page about crack fics without mentioning the incomparable My Immortal.
- Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness, by Christine Morgan. Hogwarts gets a new Defense Against the Dark Arks teacher: Professor Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A. Cannot be recommended highly enough. Everyone remains in character, especially Professor Colbert.
"One final question. Albus Dumbledore. Great Headmaster? Or... the greatest Headmaster?"
- On another Harry Potter note, Thirty Hs may be the only place you will ever see a single sentence contain the words "Dobby", "astronaut", and "groinsaw". It's the first sentence.
- The Misadventures of Draco Malfoy, Ferret Summary: Snape turns Draco into a ferret for his own protection. He would've been safer with the Dark Lord. Warnings: m'preg, multiple beastialities, and Gryffindors. This is a hilarious romp on the weird side of what happens when a half-baked plan and a little magic go horribly awry. Snape turned Draco into a female ferret by mistake. I'm sure you can guess what happens.
- The Torment of Love features Harry attempting to romance Hedwig, with dramatic results.
- Luna Lovegood and The Trip of Lust is about evil clones of Harry Potter characters created by Darkseid, Josef Stalin and Freddie Mercury with the sole purpose of raping Luna and all those around her. Also Luna is a pimp with a chain of brothels all over the world.
- What happens when you combine Harry Potter, Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, a Historical Domain Character count up the wazoo, spontaneous musical numbers, mpreg, gore, and political incorrectness that Crosses the Line Twice (but usually more than twice) in every chapter? Nymphadora Tonks Goes To Hell is what you get. And it is Crazy Awesome.
- Scorpius Malfoy and the Improbable Plot is a Harry Potter Next Gen Fic that could be (arguably) called canon/epilogue compliant. Harry takes his children and their friends back to school shopping in Diagon Alley and Hilarity Ensues among other things, including dimensional travel, goblin kidnapping and Hermione Lectures. Broccoli and the Art of Subterfuge, The Desk, Gossip Queens and Fathers of the Year are all one-shots that are related to incidents in the main story, and take place in the same insane parody of canon.
- Imma Wiserd. That is all.
- Curious George Goes to Paris, much like My Immortal, deserves a page of its own.
- The Winnie the Pooh porn story (yes, really) Teddybear's Picnic is remarkably true to voice, not to mention very funny.
- There is a legend of Polish Internet in the form of the Magical Adventures of Winnie the Pooh story cycle. The characters spend most of their time boozing cheap wines or whoring, Owl is a pedophile, Christopher Robin a Flamboyant Gay, Eeyore's real name is "Hannibal Lektor", and Piglet is proud to wield the longest member in the forest (which happens—the forest, not the member, duh—to be located somewhere in Poland, presumably east of Warsaw).
- Six Days the Animorphs Were Idiots, by one of the co-authors of Cinnamon Bunzuh is an Animorphs fanfiction that features, among other things, Visser Three adopting cats, Cassie forming a whale-worshipping cult, and Rachel finally getting some much needed therapy. Notable for keeping everyone very much in character, despite the odd turn of events.
- Twila the Girl Who Waz In Luv With A Vampyre and Forbiden Fruit: The Tempation Of Edward Cullen are Twilight Troll Fics in the style of My Immortal.
- The X-Files fandom gives us The Adventures of Mighty Mulder and Super Scully.
- Counts of Blood, a crossover between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Muppets with Count von Count visiting his old friend The Master in Sunnydale. Let's just say that the Count is not entirely sane, nor is he kid-friendly. It's wonderful. If Sesame Street and The Muppet Show had never been aired, and the word "frog" swapped with, say, "reporter", it would be just another Buffy fic—albeit well written.
The Master frowned, moving towards his guest. "I have been trying to be a bit less excessive about object lessons this century. I don't want another mathematician like that fellow."
- A LOLcat comes to Torchwood in Trying to Communicate.
- Stargate Atlantis fandom has a thing about penguins, or more specifically, about turning its characters into penguins. John Sheppard, Rodney McKay, and Carson Beckett have all turned into penguins (the former two in multiple works). And then there was that time when McKay was a dinosaur. Or when Sheppard was a rainbow and McKay was a unicorn. Or the one where they were girl scout cookies. Socks. Ice cubes.
- The Fourth Wall series, a Supernatural crack fic that features Sam being sad because everyone's jumped on the Dean/Castiel bandwagon and no fanfiction is being written about him anymore, Dean finally realising that he does love that trenchcoat-wearing Angel, Castiel eating everything remotely sugary in sight and Lucifer playing poker for M&Ms. It's amazing.
- This story features Star Trek: The Next Generation's Enterprise being visited by The Muppets. It's just as strange as it sounds, but it WORKS. Mainly because it's Played for Laughs.
- Uh Oh Spagettio is a cracky Smallville fic involving Clark trying to find a "double bactrian camel". Yeah...
- The Kink Meme for the Sherlock fandom spawned a running joke that's managed to filter through into a number of non-crack fanfics regarding Anderson having an... interest in dinosaurs. Not as popular, but also present is the idea that John Watson is in love with jam, and that his character is made of kittens (more to do with the fact the actor that plays him is Martin Freeman).
- Of Love and Bunnies is a self-described "cleverly hidden Crack Fic" about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Power Rangers Dino Thunder. Surprisingly not as cracky as it could be, since the authors do a great job keeping people in character, but then they get to the Crack Pairing of Conner and Kat. Yes, the Cloudcuckoolander Red Ranger of PRDT and the Pink Ranger from MMPR, Zeo and Turbo, who is about five or six years older than him.
- Day of the Barney distinguishes itself from the typical anti-Barney and Friends fic with its insane premise of casting Barney as a villain hellbent on taking over the world... A demonic, immortal, genuinely terrifying and competent villain, we mean.
- In these stories everyone from Warhammer 40,000 converts to Christianity and lives happily ever after.
- This Super Smash Bros Melee fanfic very much, while also taking the trope literally: ":)))) btw im smokeing weed again and also doing little cocaine"
- This fic, featuring Wario and Waluigi going everywhere.
- You may be unsurprised to find this. It is the greatest work of pornography ever written. About Tetris.
- In M Is Bad, Mario gets drunk at a party then rapes Luigi.
- Cid Wars has the Cids from Final Fantasys 2-7 teaming up to stop the first Cid, cut from the first game, whose evil plot involves hypnotizing people with Pokémon and Hanson, and something about Kudzu.
- The strangest but most hilarious Silent Hill Crack Fic is Pyramid Head becoming a fanfiction writer. No, really. Valtiel also becomes an effeminate gay man with a Nazi fetish, Heather decides to become a hardcore gangsta' while "Auntie Maria" becomes a zealous church go-er. Think you've had enough? Just wait until you meet the rest.
- The Not so Villainous Duo, a The Legend of Zelda crack fic where Ganondorf blackmails Vaati into stopping Link. They spend 17 chapters on increasingly random and failed attempts and eventually get defeated by Dark Link, who was hired to do so by the author
- Lexaeus Loves Hot Topic, a Kingdom Hearts fanfic with appearances by Harry Potter characters. The already strange premise appears to be characters from the two franchises meeting in a normal, 21st-century American shopping mall. The execution, though, is what really sells it as Crack Fic, being a (to be very charitable) disjointed stream-of-consciousness narrative, eschewing typical structure in favor of imagery through disjointed phrases and occasional syntactic contradictions, such as a narrative sentence becoming dialogue halfway through. A descriptor might almost be My Immortal meets Finnegans Wake.
- Stray is relatively down to earth, apart from the homemade time machine, a rather trippy sequence in the afterlife, and the fact that it's all done in the service of an epic love affair between a character from the 1960s and a character from the 2000s who have no on-screen interactions in the source material.
- Reynaldo the Assassin is based upon The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in the loosest possible way. Just read the page.
- The Hitchhikers Guide to the Stage of History, a Soul Series fanfic, is one of those rare well-written crack fics. It begins with Yoshimitsu being mistaken for Jesus, and ends with Setsuka trying to destroy the world with the Infinite Impobability Drive, and a climactic battle with CATS for no good reason.
- Make A Metal Gear, which is a Metal Gear Solid/Katamari Damacy crossover. And it makes sense.
- Once upon a time a fan challenged fanfic writers to write the craziest story that they could come up with so that he could post it on his site. The site is long gone, taking the stories with it. One of the stories was a little gem called Empire Evil, a cross between Resident Evil and Final Fantasy VI.
- Final Fantasy XVI: Revenge of the Fishglobe!—One review puts it this way: "Revenge of the Fishglobe is not intelligent, nor sophisticated, nor cleverly crafted. But silly and stupid as it is, I have seldom laughed more in any given 5 minutes than when I was reading this fic." The author himself puts it this way: "If this story makes any sense to you, you need serious professional help."
- So, so many Touhou doujins can fall under this trope. One particularly awesome example: Yukari Yakumo versus Yugi. Also, Yuuka versus Yukari. You'd think that someone who manipulates flowers can't win against a Reality Warper... but no, things doesn't go that way. Want to know how the battle ended? Yukari warps in a nuke on Yuka. And it didn't entirely work. It's only after Reimu threatened Yuuka to just goddamn stop already that Yuuka stopped, and even then only after Yukari had already surrendered. Also, Yuuka's backstory in this doujin is extremely disturbing (though the author did suggest that she was lying about her backstory).
- Most Garry's Mod videos tend to be pretty "out there", but Crispy Toast Productions' Misadventures of Sekai series is notable for throwing (out of all the anime out there) School Days into the mix, putting Sekai Saionji into crossovers with Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Grand Theft Auto IV, Super Mario Bros and others.
- Dissidia Final Fantasy, because of its nature as a Massively Multiplayer Crossover for the whole Final Fantasy multiverse, could count on its own as one of the "official examples" above... but the sequel (although plot-wise it's more of a prequel) has a "quest editor" mode, which, as you can guess, can allow the player to, technically, write his own fan-fic and then make it playable. Which, of course, is awesome. Until you take Sturgeon's Law into account, since it kicks in as soon as one of the first quests (if not the first) made for the game gets uploaded on Youtube, and then you find out that, in the uploader's own words, it's about Tifa's skirt.
- On the official Dwarf Fortress forums dwells a Crossover between Dwarf Fortress and Star Control II which purports to explain the origin of the "Adamantine Space Elevator" (a spike of adamantine ascending thousands of z-levels into the sky of one DF-generated world, probably due to an amusing Good Bad Bug). It's here.
- Doukutsu Days and its sequel, Cave Story fanfics that add nonsensical plot points at every turn. For one, Quote starts talking.
- Iji is this to the video game of the same name. Various crossover madness and silly things happening here and there, Gurren Lagann-grade Hot Bloodedness, mad science... and we're still waiting for the kitchen sink.
- Crossovers between Doom and Animal Crossing (mostly one-panel gags on DeviantART have become oddly common since both franchises got new titles in 2020.
- It's an unwritten rule that Penny and Aggie fanfic should be Crack Fic; at the very least, very few serious fics exist among ideas like Camp Gay Fred being the sole survivor of a Zombie Apocalypse and Put on a Bus Jerk Jock Rich falling in love with him. Or Cyndi and Charlotte admitting and consummating their love in a women's prison.
- Many The Order of the Stick crack pairings. Yes, the same thread that spawned this one. Redcloak and Vaarsuvius having an affair that ends with a love child? It works.
- This is a collection of Avatar: The Last Airbender crack fics; some work, some don't.
- The Transformers Animated crack fic You Never ARGH WHAT AM I WEARING? featured Starscream having sex with Blitzwing, a character with multiple personalities. Blitzwing was wearing high heels, fishnet tights, and a thong all through the fanfic. What made the fanfic even more crack was finding out which personality was really in charge when it started.
- Beast Wars has its own Crack Fic in Beast Wars: Make it Real Big. Optimus Primal evolves into Rapidash, Cheetor dies but continues to contribute to the dialogue via gas emissions and the character of Airazor turns out to be a cleverly disguised "Airazor Bomb."
- Osama's Last Stand by Fireand'chutes777 is one of those rare examples of a Crack Fic done right. The basic premise is simple: Action Girl heroine Kim Possible is called in by President Bush after Al-Qaeda attacks America on April 23, 2007 to kick aforementioned terrorist organization to the curb (hence the title). It should be an exaggerated stream of Girl Power and Eagle Land patriotism, it should have terrible grammar and be wrapped up in one chapter, it should spit in the face of basic physics, but what happened instead was a 128,000 word novel that would not look out of place at all in a book store with the name Tom Clancy printed in big bold letters on the front (ironic in that the author hadn't even touched a Tom Clancy book until he was done with the third story in his series). Even though the author himself admits the reader needs to apply a healthy dose of Willing Suspension of Disbelief to get past some of the set-up, once one does it's a very enjoyable story for any technothriller fan.
- Slave Bear of Care-A-Lot is Care Bears BDSM/noncon porn. It's as well-written as one could expect it to be, as is all the best Crack Fic.
- William Country is a literal crack fic in that the animator reportedly did drugs while making it. The plot itself is fairly straightforward (although it does involve a character in a relationship with an Original Character who looks like himself), but there are countless unusual moments, related to the plot or otherwise, and bizarre background events (such as a bunch of buses flipping around while Chris is narrating). All in all, it's somewhat surreal.
- This series of Danny Phantom fics have their own titles, but are generally known as The Crack. That's right, it's a Crack Fic actually called The Crack. It takes one of the show's least reasonable pairings, brutally "forces them together", and throws in mpreg to boot. Surprisingly, this is considered one of the best fics in the fandom—all 102 chapters of it.
- Bart the General.
- Iron Man: Kindergarten Adventures is proclaimed by the author to be crack, probably because the West Virginia Mothman becomes central to the plot in the last chapter.
- Horny Lil' Devils takes the Horny Devils trope and applies it to the entire cast of Kim Possible. Notable for keeping the characters recognizable while totally ignoring everything in canon (chapter five is titled: "Punching Canon in the Throat). It's utterly hysterical from start to finish. Too bad it seems to be a Dead Fic, though.
- The Total Drama Island fanfic Illogical is an interesting example because it takes place inside Izzy's mind (which is saying a lot) and the Crack Pairing is between two of her personalities.
- Beating the Heat: The main (sorry, mane) characters of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic go into an Element of Harmony-induced heat... and surprisingly it doesn't devolve into a porn story. Instead the plot is focused around the six mares (and soon everypony else) resisting their urges long enough to stop the heat before it spreads through every pony in the land, including the two princesses, and the entire world ends in one massive orgy. What sex does happen is generally not referenced explicitly and played thoroughly for laughs; the story instead focuses on the absurdity of the situation.
- Of Cartoons, Randomness, and Beef Jerky: This story involves Dora the Explorer teaming up with characters such as Winnie the Pooh, Phineas and Ferb, and Tinker Bell and going to visit Hello Kitty's house for some beef jerky. Among other things, it's Reference Overdosed, Barney and Friends is hit by a roller coaster, a Yandere Isabella appears, and Kenny dies. It's actually pretty funny and worth reading.
- Some of the fics listed here. A few of them are already listed on this page.
- This bad boy, in which Stephen Colbert leaves a fork in the microwave, goes back in time, and makes Adolf Hitler fall in love with him.
- On the same page as Nazi fan fictions, there is a rare historical Crack Fic on the internet about a paring between a Mary Sue type character and Josef Mengele. Let that sink in for a while. A story full of IKEA Erotica featuring a mutant Mary Sue and Josef Mengele.
- This generator tends to come up with these. For instance:
- You're a Real Tiger, Crackle. A legendary cereal-box mascot Slash Fic coupling of Tony the Tiger and Crackle (of Rice Krispies fame) that was clearly written on a dare, and then only for the rude punchline.
- Pedobear Gets Horny [dead link] is a fic about Pedobear violating Justin Bieber.
- Well, if ya wanna get technical, "JFK" actually claims he was dyed that color, and that part of his brain was replaced with a little bag of sand.