|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
How many times have I told you, NOT in the castle!—Sir Thomas Grey of Covington, Knight of the Realm and irate parent.
This short-lived British series followed the lives, loves and deadly feuds of the Grey family of Covington Cross circa 1392. The head of the family is the beleaguered Sir Thomas Grey, who is called upon to deal with Armus, the eldest son who has abjured knighthood in favor of cooking - and eating; William, the impetuous, impulsive second son; Cedric, destined for the Church but a terror with the ladies, and Eleanor, the fiery redhead daughter who'd rather be one of the boys. There is also a fourth son, Richard, who departs for the wars after the pilot, and Sir Thomas' continuing love interest, the Lady Elizabeth from the castle next over.
Sometimes referred to in the Society for Creative Anachronism as "Beverly Hills 902 A.D." Any resemblance to actual 14th-century England is purely coincidental - but what the heck! See pilot episode here
- Break Out the Museum Piece - When a bunch of nobles are held hostage, the Grey family has to save the day using weapons from the Duke of Arundel's private collection. Two-hundred-year-old weapons are still museum pieces, even in the middle ages!
- Cartwright Curse - Any girl who gets involved with a Grey boy will not outlast the episode, nor will any boy attracted to Eleanor.
- The Casanova - Cedric is really not suited to the Church.
- Face Palm - Sir Thomas too many times to list.
- Knight in Shining Armor - Obviously.
- Eleanor definitely qualifies for Rebellious Princess. She's also an Action Girl
- Fiery Redhead - Eleanor
- Five-Man Band:
- Flynning - and how! The opening sequence of the pilot is a spectacular and no doubt horribly innacurate swordfight between two fully armored knights ended by Sir Thomas' outraged: 'How many times have I told you NOT in the castle!'
- Gentle Giant - Armus, who'd rather cook than fight but is darn good at both.
- The Middle Ages
- Only Sane Man - Sir Thomas again.
- Prop Recycling We can see plenty of props from the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie.