|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Computer and Spaceman! Computer and Spa-ace-man!!!"
Computer & Spaceman: A True Space Opera is a rock musical created by Benjamin Daniel, better known as Benzaie, in March 2012, with contributions by Joe Vargas and Ed Glasser from That Guy With The Glasses. It's the story of a lonely astronaut who builds himself a computer companion, which goes exactly as well as expected. It is in many respects a homage to both old and current science fiction.
So far, three videos of two songs each have been released:
- "The Astronaut" & "Alien Hamburgers"
- "Computer & Spaceman" & "I wanna be bad"
- "For the sake of love" & "I didn't die"
- Acting for Two: In the fifth song Benzaie plays Computer in addition to Spaceman.
- Affectionate Parody
- Art Shift: Every song has its own unique visual presentation.
- AI Is a Crapshoot: Which was entirely expected.
- Become a Real Boy: Computers goal.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: "Just me, and a friend, and two plates."
- Chewing the Scenery: It's Benzaie acting, so what would you expect?
- Crush! Kill! Destroy!: "I'm a big bad computer from the planet space, I am here to destroy the human race!"
- Death Equals Emotion: Or rather the other way round.
- Deceptively-Human Robots: Computer.
- Epigraph: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov
- Heroic Sacrifice
- His Name Really Is "Barkeep": "My name is the President".
- I'm a Humanitarian: Spaceman's main hobby is to make hamburgers out of aliens. Including Humanoids that look human.
- "I Am" Song: "I am the Astronaut".
- "I Want" Song: All the Spaceman wants is a friend to share his alien hamburgers with.
- Kill All Humans: The fifth song.
- Lyrical Dissonance: All the time.
- Recycled in Space: Space-time, space-years, space-friends, and space-window.
- Robosexual: Of course.
- Shout-Out: The first song is an homage to Ed Wood.
- The third song is a referece to a video by Witch Doctor
- The fourth song is (probably) a reference to Star Trek and other Sci-Fi shows.
- The visual effects in the fifth song are almost identical to Mass Effect. Probably also related to Tron.
- The final song is a tip of the hat to the song writers, Ragoononline.
- Special Effect Failure: Deliberately in the first and last song.
- Take Over the World: "Let's go down to planet earth / and take it over for all it's worth"
- The Power of Love: What eventually stops computer from destroying Earth.
- Tin Man: Computer, especially in the fifths song.
- Title Drop: The song "Computer & Spaceman" in part two.
- Turned Against Their Masters: Duh.
- Villain Song: "I wanna be bad"
- We Used to Be Friends: It was meant to last for only one song.