|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A bunch of idiots like comics.
It's funny. Trust me.—Description
Cominerds is a webcomic by Smack Jeeves user pwii. The comic started in 1-14-11 Largely due to pwii's admiration of Fanboys. It follows the adventures of Andy, Dom, and Bob, Two comic nerds (Andy, Bob) and one casual comic reader (Dom). The comic starts out as Two Gamers on a Couch with comics, but quickly moves on to a sort of Random Events Plot. Three other characters are shortly introduced: Chloe, Rose, and Ed. Rose is obsessed with manga, and Andy is obsessed with comics; which leads to some interesting 'debates'.
Originally, the comic was just about the friends talking and going on with their lives, but it quickly adapted Rule of Cool and Rule of Funny as laws of physics. Cominerds is most notable for having several gags in one comic, the comic-page format constantly, and updating on time (in the sense that there's about 1 comic a week, not over a day late).
This webcomic contains examples of:
- Abuse Is Okay When It Is Female On Male: Often. When Chloe starts to feels bad about it, Rose observes:
"[You wouldn't get suspended for beating up Andy]. You're a girl and he's not. You could take a chainsaw to his FACE and it would be funny."
- Art Evolution: Comics 1-20 are all colored blue in GIMP, but afterwards, pwii has moved on to color.
- The Comically Serious: Dom
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Subverted, and then lampshaded with Bob.
- May also be an Author's Saving Throw.
- The Ditz: Andy. Only he would use a band-aid to heal broken bones.
- He used two band-aids.
- Not to mention he lost the second, and was doing fine without it until someone pointed it out to him.
- He used two band-aids.
- Double Standard: Quite a few lampshades. One comic was even named "Double Standards".
Chloe: "Isn't that wrong?"
Rose: "Yeah, well, guys can be submissive without being shallow".
- ->"I'm a lady. Ladies are allowed to ignore equal rights if it benefits us."
- Geek Reference Pool: Inverted. Pwii even makes subtle references to other Smackjeeves comics he likes (or did himself).
- Girl Next Door: Subverted with Chloe. Andy dreams of a girl next door who likes comics, but Chloe is obsessed with manga. However,it turns out Chloe is not even his neighbor, just heavily implied to be. His real neighbor is Ed.
- He Also Did: pwii's other works are somewhat darker.
- One of Us: The site has 9 fans. Who do you think made this page?
- Recycled in Space: It's Two Gamers on a Couch...WITH COMICS!
- Reference Overdosed: Every. Page.
- Running Gag: "I don't think [girls who like comics] exist..."
- Secret Past: Andy. As Maria pointed out, he's read Watchmen, and at least knows about The Joker and Poison Ivy, while sworn to read nothing but Marvel.
- Someone Think Of The Children: There was actually a two-parter that was named thus, involving a Moral Guardian gone Knights Templar.
- Strawman Political: Dom does this to three political parties, by comparing them to comic book characters.
- Andy and Chloe do this to a bunch of comic book / manga tropes when they first meet, in a battle of sorts.
- Moral Guardians: Ed is basically a Flanderized version of Doctor Fredric Wertham