|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The story begins with Chelsea Chattan perfectly ordinary young woman and a practicing Wiccan living in New York visiting her family in her howetown, Haven for her stepsister Cynthia's wedding. The stress of having to deal with her stepfather, the overly conservative Ben Monroe, causes Chelsea to jump out of a second story window, whereupon she suddenly transforms into a panther, almost kills Ben, and completely ruins her wedding.
Turns out that Chelsea's suffering from a Hereditary Curse running in her father's family, making werecats out of every female member. To balance this out, there's also a strain of Magick running in her family. And these revelations were in the September 1999 comics.
The comic is notable for having had several Crossovers with other webcomics, most notably having Raven from LCD as a recurring character.
Provides examples of:
- Back From the Dead: Several characters Including Chelsea herself
- Big Badass Wolf: Werewolves have a dimension of their own to rule, and have a proud warrior society going on.
- Boring but Practical: Portal sorcerers. All they can do is portal things to places, right?
- Cannot Spit It Out: Chelsea and Jubal.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: Justified, since Chelsea just casts a glamour of clothes.
- Chekhov's Gun: The urn of Dracula and the vampires trying to revive him are both shown in the Council of Three arc.
- Cursed with Awesome: The Chattan curse, what with the super-powered werecat forms.
- Dracula: A whole story arc dedicated to him that has lasted seven years.
- Dual-Wielding: Dracula while busting out of Hell
- Fan Service: Chelsea's clothing doesn't change along with her.
- Flat Earth Atheist: Paul, despite having witnessed a miracle, doesn't believe Chelsea is a werecat even after seeing her change.
- It's also revealed that he would have grown up to be an atheist if he hadn't witnessed the miracle.
- He's quite religious in a dull sort of way, though.
- Fur Against Fang: The Council of Three's reason for existence is to prevent this
- Heroic Sociopath: Lilith, Mel
- Hurl It Into the Sun: The alternate method to kill Dracula off for real
- Immune to Bullets: A pureblood can only be killed by another pureblood
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Of the Hulking Out variety.
- Jerkass: Lilith who basically just does things for the heck of it. Is completely unreasonable and has probably some of the worst mood swings you'll ever see. Also Mel.
- Like a Badass Out of Hell: Several occasions
- Mundane Solution: Dracula can only be vanquished by a Christian staking him with the true cross. Chelsea and Corrine decide to skip that and just portal his ashes into the sun, instead.
- Mugging the Monster: The first symptoms of Chelsea's curse manifest like this.
- Never Mess with Granny: Ruth, in addition to her magick, has a shotgun to defend her home from uninvited supernaturals.
- Our Monsters Are Different
- Our Werebeasts Are Different: The universe contains werecreatures of every flavor, including weresquids and werespiders.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Somewhat, it the "drink each others blood" variety. Their eyes turn completely red when they go on the attack. Killing the master won't change them back and we find that after they die, they're completely destroyed, soul and all. Which becomes a problem when Chelsea's mother is turned by Dracula.
- Psycho Lesbian: Rose. Also, Chelsea while under Rose's influence.
- Schedule Slip: The series has had many hiatus' due to Jamie's illness (diabetes from the sound of it), rendering her barely or unable to draw the comic.
- Skunk Stripe: Chelsea acquires one after one of the early arcs. A little girl later compares her to Rogue.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Dracula, Eleanor
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Chelsea learns to control her transformations
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Chelsea's mortally afraid of spiders. Doesn't help her any when she has to be scanned by a werespider telepath.