|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
I need to learn to stop communicating in such a whack-a-doodle-doo fashion, but pretending to be a derangement is too enjoyable for me to give it up.
Occasionally animated videos for sufferers of melancholy since 2006.
Chris Lyons, better known as Chriddof, is an English avant-gardist who specializes in absurdism, although he'll periodically delve into surrealism when he feels like being serious. He's best known for his bizarre and rather lengthy filmography, but he also composes, writes, draws, and other things.
Common themes in his work include politics, religion, the human body, analog media, and English history.
He is notorious for his tendency to change accounts entirely, often shutting down the whole operation and relocating all of his accounts. Currently, the only constant is that his own webpage often stays intact.
This body of work provides examples of:
- Abridged Series: Of an old American show called "Sally Sargent," which never went past the rather short pilot.
- Acceptable Targets: Margaret Thatcher, Jeremy Kyle, and Thames (an old television station) are common whipping boys, but others appear as well.
- Affectionate Parody: Of Don Hertzfeldt every once in a while.
- Blind Idiot Translation: Parodied on "Egg Threat" and "Spectreman vs. Russ Abbott."
- Body Horror: Anything done on Daz Studio.
- Broken Record: Occasionally overlaps with Madness Mantra.
- Call Back: Chriddof will sometimes revisit his old stuff for new films, for example, "Sin" wound up being reworked as part of "Best Cat Flavour," and "Prague" featured elements from both "Automated Alarm" and "Some Fatalities."
- Creator in Joke
- Cringe Comedy
- Dada Ad
- Dada Comics
- Deconstruction: He's got a few of these under his belt. Pop and dance are common targets, with such things as "99," "The Current #1," "Lets Everybody Have A Real Good Time," (off "Mrs Egg") and "(Everybody) Shit To The Beat."
- Deranged Animation
- Filk Song: "Look At All The Animals", which is the theme to Animal Hospital with lyrics about animals causing property damage.
- Harsh Noise
- High-Pressure Blood
- Love At First Sight: With a man whose face has just turned into an anus.
- Mind Screw
- Minimalism: A recurring tactic, be it musically ("Safely Remove Parasites And Their Eggs," "Shitting in the 1940s") as a filmmaker ("We Kept Driving" his loop-based films) or as a graphic designer.
- Mythology Gag: From "Alienating Eyes:"
"Yes, I realise that. But when she cut off his penis, two more grew in its place, and when she cut those off, four more grew in their place, and then she cut those off, and by the time she was discovered he had a bush of penises."
- Non-Indicative Name: His song "Jessie J - Price Tag." While the video was disguised as an upload of Jessie J's new single (complete with artwork), the song itself is built on a creepy violin loop and an old video discussing table manners. When it got on "The Cartoon Cat Did Not Know How to Help Him," however, its name was changed to "Gruesome Sights Or Sounds."
- Parody Religion: Vvvism.
- Self-Deprecation: The Chriddof Force VHS Trailer
- Shout-Out: Homages and salutes are par for the course, be they to old television shows and comics or rather obscure bands.
- Soundtrack Dissonance
- Station Ident: A recurring subject of jokes.
- Stealth Insult
- Stealth Parody: An odd case; the "Stealth" portion doesn't come from "is this a parody," rather it's from "what's this even a parody of?!"
- Stealth Pun
- Stick Figure Animation
- Stuff Blowing Up
- Surreal Horror
- Surreal Humor
- Synthetic Voice Actor: Makes frequent use of text-to-speech programs.
- Talkative Loon
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?
- Word Salad Lyrics
- Word Salad Title: A lot of things, but most notably: his writing blog, which has gone under such names as "It Never Agreed With Me," "Lemnopraty," "Making Car Noises Very Loudly At 3 AM," "Urine Attack" and "The Golden Age of the Low Countries."
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: "Cat Sliding Across Screen."
- Youtube Poop: He has made video remixes that, including his Saved By The Bell and Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy videos, fit right in with the usual concept of Youtube Poop. He is also widely popular among YouTube Poopers.