|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ryū Tendō/Red Hawk | Actor: Kotaro Tanaka
Member of the Skyforce who was given the Birdonic Waves to become the first Jetman. Too bad right after that, the Vyrams attack and he lost his girlfriend Rie Aoi. Ryū goes to lead the Jetmen, but is pretty hung up with Rie's death, moreso when turns out Rie is Brainwashed into Maria of the Vyram. He thankfully got over it by the end of the series and ends up marrying fellow Jetman Kaori Rokumeikan (White Swan).
- Arranged Marriage: By his grandma, no less.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Gai's Veronica for Kaori's Archie. He wins.
- Fingerless Gloves: From Gold's Gym nonetheless!
- The Hero
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: He gets his own vehicle, the Jet Striker, which is the team's BFG, too. His Jet Hawk is also the biggest among the Jet Machines, and he's the only Jetman to have had formal training beforehand.
- Loving a Shadow: He's pretty hung up about Rie's death. Later, he finds out that the villain Maria is his dead girlfriend.
- Official Couple: Initially with Rie, until she was Killed Off for Real. He and Kaori becomes this in the Where Are They Now? Epilogue.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Gai's red.
- Standardized Leader
Gai Yūki/Black Condor | Actor: Toshihide Wakamatsu
A rebellious lone wolf who's just out to enjoy his life before his death. While accidentally struck with Birdonic Wave and being called to become a Jetman, Gai refused being ordered around, especially from someone like Ryū, but his sense of justice got over him and he ends up joining and developing that sense. He makes advances on Kaori, and while at first refused, his persistence paid off... only for him to break it up due to different lifestyles. In the end, he decided to let Kaori marry Ryū, now his best friend. Sadly, while on the way to visit their marriage, Gai tried to stop a mugger and while he succeeded, the mugger stabs him, and he died due to the wounds shortly after he gave Ryū his blessings. The manga epilogue had him replaced by musician Jeffrey Kensaki AKA Green Eagle.
- Anti-Hero: Starts out as a Type V before quickly shifting into Type IV, eventually winding up as a Type II.
- Betty and Veronica: The Veronica to Ryū's Betty for Kaori's Archie. He loses.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: On the basis of being Condor Joe's Expy
- Not So Invincible After All: Yeah, he survived a year fighting against the Vyrams. A mugger's stab killed him.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Fingerless Gloves: Fingerless?
- Go Out with a Smile
- Heroic Willpower: Got stabbed and yet forces himself to make it to Ryu and Kaori's wedding.
- Ineffectual Loner
- Image Song: Honoo no Condor, by Gai's actor Toshihide Wakamatsu, which plays during his Crowning Moment Of Awesome.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy
- Jerkass Dissonance: In one episode while the group is out shopping, Gai decides to grab Kaori by the arm, drag her away from the others against her will, shove her into an elevator to isolate her from everyone else, and then invade her personal space as he demands to know why she doesn't love him instead of Ryu. Despite this and many more actions like this, he is one of the most popular characters in the whole of the Super Sentai franchise.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Lancer: He gets into fights with Ryū especially often early on, but the two eventually become friends.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Ryū's blue.
- Refusal of the Call
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Manly Man to Raita's Sensitive Guy.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
- Signature Move: Condor Finish
- Smoking Is Cool
- Sour Supporter
Raita Ōishi/Yellow Owl | Actor: Tomihisa Naruse
A fat farmer who at first really doesn't like fighting, even after he's struck with Birdonic Waves. He just wants to be a farmer... until the Vyrams trample his farm and he ends up fighting anyway. Has a childhood friend named Satsuki whom he eventually married in the end of the series. Despite so, he used to have a crush to Kaori, but decided that she's too good for him and settles with 'being able to protect her'.
- The Ageless: Not with the character, but with Tomihisa Naruse, his actor. It's been 2 decades since the show aired and the man hasn't aged a day. The other actors, not so much.
- Big Eater
- The Big Guy
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With a girl named Satsuki. He does marry her in the end.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Raita has the hots for Kaori, just like Gai, but he never even gets the privilege to go out on a date with her.
- Expy: of Daita Ōiwa, the original yellow ranger himself. Even the names are similar (Ōishi and Ōiwa both mean "large stone").
- Farm Boy
- Genius Bruiser
- Gentle Giant
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Meaningful Name: Ōishi means "big rock". Guess what one of his signature moves is. Oishii, a homophone, sounds like "delicious", referring to his love of food.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Gai's Manly Man.
- The Smart Guy
- Stout Strength: He is one of the more visibly fat Sentai heroes, and one of the strongest physically.
Kaori Rokumeikan/White Swan | Actress: Rika Kishida
Heiress to the Rokumeikan family, at first an extremely Spoiled Brat, but eventually evolved into Spoiled Sweet, thanks to Ryū's scoldings. While at first repulsed at Gai, she ends up with him after discovering his heart of gold, but he broke up with her after introducing him to her high-class family which... pissed him off. Kaori eventually ends up marrying Ryū after much hardships that follows.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted. While she does give Gai a chance, it is Ryu whom she is attracted to.
- Betty and Veronica: The Archie for Ryū's Betty and Gai's Veronica. She chooses Ryū.
- The Chick: She's the weakest fighter (at first), and that's saying something.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose In Life
- Hello, Nurse!: Sort of. Gai and Raita both want a piece of her, in their own way! (Though Ryū, who wasn't originally interested in her, is the one who ultimately gets her)
- Official Couple: With Ryū in the epilogue.
- The Ojou
- Runaway Bride: From an Upperclass Twit; this lead to a Crowning Moment of Awesome where she jumps the Monster of the Week on a motorbike. Wearing her bridal gown.
- Spoiled Sweet: See entry.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly Girl to Ako's Tomboy. Changes over the course of the series, where she becomes less shallow and materialistic.
Ako Hayasaka/Blue Swallow | Actress: Sayuri Uchida
An Ordinary High School Student that accidentally got hit with Birdonic Waves and ends up becoming a star athlete in instant. A bit of materialistic, demanding money here and there, but she instantly got over it, realizing her own sense of justice after the first encounter with the Vyrams, joining the Jetman. She's the tomboy of the team, though she eventually grew over it and in the epilogue, became an Idol Singer... despite being bad at singing while in school.
- Cute Bruiser
- Gold Digger: At first. Want to hire her for the athletic team? Give her a good salary first. Want her to join the Jetman? Pay her 1500 yen per hour!
- High School Hustler: Pre Character Development
- Hollywood Tone Deaf: She's... not very good at singing.
- Idol Singer: In the Where Are They Now? Epilogue.
- Kid Appeal Character
- Ordinary High School Student: Until she got hit by the Birdonic Waves...
- Shipper on Deck: She apparently ships Ryū/Kaori
- Signature Move: "Swallow Dash"
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Tomboy to Kaori's Girly Girl, until she becomes an Idol Singer in the epilogue.
- You Go, Girl!: She's an athlete in school.
Commander Aya Odagiri
Supreme Commander Akira Ichijou
- Hate Sink: Ichijou is meant to be despicable on purpose, even more so than Radiguet, making the latter look sympathetic in comparison. In fact, he's the only human in the series to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, justifying his actions as a hollow excuse to abuse his authority and having an utter complete disregard for his own soldiers, treating them as cannon fodder. Then again, even after he ditches his team, he never got a just punishment for his actions.
- The Sociopath: Ichijou only cares about himself and his career, doesn't give a damn about the Neo-Jetmen he established, acts rather spiteful towards Aya, and when Meteor BEM entered headquarters, he locked his team and Aya towards the monster's location, aggressively commanding them to protect the base, not even caring that they might get killed by the monster in the process.
One of the Vyram elites spearheading the attack of Earth. A schemer and backstabber through and through, he thinks of nothing but himself, not even his queen, and would do every dirty tricks available to make him the supreme ruler of the universe, including betrayal. And he's not above betraying his fellow Vyrams.
- A God Am I: First day of his invasion, he claims to be a God for the Earthling. He probably said that to ANY dimensions he tried to invade.
- Dragon-in-Chief: At first.
- Enemy Civil War: With Tranza.
- Enemy Mine: Teams up with the Jetmen at least twice. First to take down Empress Juza and later against Tranza.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Radiguet is just too pure evil to understand anything resembling love, compassion, and friendship. He makes a point out of this when he killed Saki, the girl who nursed him back to health while amnesiac.
- Radiguet: Love? What nonsense! Do you ever believe that I, Radiguet, possess such filthy emotion?
- Evil Counterpart: To Gai Yuki. Gai is a loner who butts heads with Tendo but nevertheless gets along with him, whereas Radiguet schemes behind Juuza and Tranza's backs to claim the right to lead the Vyram from them.
- Evil Is Petty: Kills Maria/Rie right in front of Tendo before she could return to the side of good all just to push the latter to his breaking point.
- Fatal Flaw: His Pride. This probably explains why Juuza exiled him in the first place.
- Hate Sink: Radiguet is a megalomaniacal usurper with delusions of grandeur who antagonizes both Juuza, Tranza, and the Jetmen while he pits them against each other. His killing of Saki and Maria shows that he has no redeemable traits whatsoever, to point out that he regards love and compassion as mere trivial matters, and push Tendoh over the edge after Maria's death.
- It's All About Me: Screw the rest of the Vyrams. Radiguet wants to take everything for himself, even from fellow elites.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Poor Saki found that out the hard way too late when Radiguet killed her.
- Kick the Morality Pet: When he got amnesiac, he got a Morality Pet. Then he got his memory back... then killed her.
- Narcissist: The VERY defining aspect of Radiguet's personality. Radiguet absolutely cares for no one but himself and a Chronic Backstabber through and through. He has a massive god complex, and will do whatever it takes to get what he wants, even if it mean using the Jetmen as pawns to undermine Juuza and/or Tranza. Lastly, he regards everything resembling love, kindness, and compassion as alien concepts.
- One-Winged Angel: He has a more powerful, yet uglier form. He also grows giant and fuses with the Vyram base, Vyrock, in the finale.
- The Sociopath: A text-book example. He cares for no one but himself and intentionally sets out to hurt people and causes misery.
- The Starscream: To Empress Juza and later Tranza.
- True Final Boss
- Ungrateful Bastard
Tran / Tranza
- Black Cloak
- Cool Sinister Shades
- Enemy Civil War: With Radiguet.
- Evil Is Stylish: As Tranza. On transforming he goes to... beat Ryū in training, steal more girls than Gai and eat more than Raita. And he does them with style.
- Fate Worse Than Death: He ends up in a mental institution after his final battle.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Into Tranza.
- Tagalong Kid, Enfante Terrible, Creepy Child: At first.
- Took a Level In Badass
- The Dragon
- Drowning My Sorrows
- Noble Demon
- Ridiculously Human Robot: He loves cigarettes, wine, music, and Maria!
- Irony: Despite being a robot, he's the most human out of all the Vyram.
- The Rival: To Gai.
- Smoking Is Cool: So much that he requested Gai to lit his cig before he (Grey) dies.
- Worthy Opponent
- An Axe to Grind
- Dark Chick
- Dying as Yourself
- I Let Gwen Stacy Die
- Nice Hat
- Redemption Equals Death
- Tomato in the Mirror
- Woman in White