|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Don't make me use my moon powers on you!—Princess Yue
Chibi Avatar is a three-episode series of shorts on based on the Animated Series Avatar: The Last Airbender that were released on the Avatar: The Last Airbender season 2 DVD (season 3 in PAL regions).
This short series uses a Chibi art style and soft pastel colors to tell funny, blatantly non-Canon stories about the series' characters, one of which was set in a strange elementary school AU. The characters are depicted as much younger than their canonical incarnations and interacting in light, improbable ways.
Contains examples of the following tropes:
"DON'T MAKE ME USE MY MOON POWERS ON YOU!"
- Blinding Bangs: Toph
- Broken Aesop: Iroh gives one. "Now I hope that you can see that each element has its own strengths and weaknesses. But fire is the best!"
- Butt Monkey: Sokka, not that this is a huge shift. In Bending Battle, Aang, Toph and Katara all use him as a dummy to show off their powers, and in Swamp Skiing, well...
- Convection, Schmonvection: Zuko riding on a lava dragon.
- Didn't See That Coming: Zuko, when Katara reveals who she's going to the dance with: his alter-ego, the Blue Spirit.
- DVD Bonus Content: As noted above, the shorts were originally released as DVD Extras.
- Eat the Camera: Aang enters the Avatar State in School Time Shipping and eats the camera.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Parodied - Bending Battle starts with the scene pictured above.
"What's that supposed to be, Sokka?"
"This is BOOMERANG!"
- The Face of the Sun: Seen at the beginning of Bending Battle and Swamp Skiin' Throwdown.
- Face Palm: For all of the failed attempts at winning their love interest in School Time Shipping.
- Heart Symbol: Tons in School Time Shipping. Also appears in the other two shorts.
- Elementary School AU: Schooltime Shipping.
- I Will Show You X:
Katara: Tiny Zuko! He looks so cute!
Zuko: I AM NEITHER CUTE NOR TINY!
Iroh: You are pretty cute, my tiny nephew.
Zuko: I'LL SHOW YOU TINY!
- Mythology Gag: Aang becomes ash and blows away similar to Gyatso in Aang's nightmare from "The Storm."
- Naked People Are Funny: Sokka in the "Swamp-Skiing" short, complete with Scenery Censor.
- Pinball Gag: Toph uses earthbending to make Sokka a living pinball.
- Pointless Band-Aid: Mai has a Band-Aid on her nose.
- Shipping: In-universe; the school short comments on the shipping phenomenon, as well as Katara's status as a Launcher of a Thousand Ships.
- Ships That Pass in the Night: Haru/Ty Lee were paired in the short, despite the fact they never met in the canon.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Ty Lee and Haru, in Schoo Time Shipping. "I like sensitive guys!"
- Six Is Nine: Momo turns over his sign to change Aang's score from six to nine.
- Spinoff Babies
- Squick: In-universe: Aang airbends a paper airplane with an invitation to the dance over to Katara, only for her to assume it came from the guy sitting next to her: a giggling, snorting King Bumi. Ick.
- Took a Level In Jerkass: Aang in the "Swamp-Skiing" short.