The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: A character suddenly changes with no explanation whatsoever.
- Straight: Bob, formerly a Nice Guy, suddenly starts kicking the dog and becomes a huge Jerkass.
- Exaggerated: Bob, formerly Incorruptible Pure Pureness, becomes a Complete Monster.
- Inverted: Static Character
- Double Subverted: However, it turns out that Bob has secret evil plans, and his kindness is merely a facade.
- Parodied: Bob constantly switches between The Hero, Big Bad, Anti-Hero, Anti-Villain and various other roles in the course of a single episode/book/game.
- Deconstructed: Fans who liked Bob's previous characterisation resent his changes so much that they abandon the show entirely.
- The writers decide to return Bob to his previous characterisation, thus restoring the work to its former glory.
- Alternatively, fans begin to see the merits of Bob's new personality as well, and thus start watching again.
- Zig Zagged:
- Averted: Logical Character Development takes place in the course of the work.
- Enforced: The new writing team wants to establish that all good-hearted people have no problem with X. Since jerkish but otherwise helpful sidekick Bob mentioned two years ago in passing that he has a problem with X, he joins forces with all other characters who dislike X and crusades ceaselessly for all X to be destroyed forever.
- Lampshaded: "Bob isn't how he used to be, is he?"
- Invoked: "I'm going to be a changed man!"
Back to Character Derailment
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.