|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Aaaagggghhh!" - The sound the game greets you with, which is Chakan's death cry.
Chakan: The Forever Man was a comic series made by RAK Graphics that was made into a Sega Genesis video game. It tells the story of Chakan, a sorcerer and a warrior of great skill that was so unbeatable, he declared that Death himself would not be able to beat him. Death, upon hearing this made a deal with Chakan. If Chakan wins, he gets eternal life, but if Chakan loses, his soul belongs to Death for him to what he wishes. Chakan accepts and the two did battle. Eventually, Chakan won the fight and was granted his gift. However, this gift turned out to be a curse as Chakan's visage was made to match that of Death's, and he is in constant torment by the visions of evil. If Chakan destroys all the evil in the physical and elemental planes, only then would he be granted eternal rest.
Chakan: The Forever Man is notorious for being incredibly difficult, with unforgiving platforming elements and enemies that seem to come out of nowhere. However, it has won itself a small, yet devoted, fanbase.
The comics and games carry examples of
- An Axe to Grind: One of the weapons you can find.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Congratulations, Chakan, for defeating Death and achieving eternal life. Shame it's more of a curse that puts you in eternal torment.
- Collision Damage
- Deal with the Devil: What sets off the events of the game.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Chakan defeats Death and is given his reward of eternal life. The post credits boss can also be defeated.
- Drop the Hammer
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The post credits boss.
- It can be defeated, especialy if you have three invincibility potions to spare.
- It Has Only Just Begun: Death taunts Chakan with this in the game's credits
- Multiple Endings: Based on whether you kill the last boss or not.
- Nice Hat: You bet Chakan is rocking this.
- Nintendo Hard: Heralded by many as the hardest video game of all time.
- No Ending: If you somehow do manage to beat the Hopeless Boss Fight after the credits, Chakan's immortality problem still won't be solved and you're treated to the hourglass screen for a LONG time until the small Sequel Hook stinger appears.
- No Pronunciation Guide: How do you pronounce Chakan anyway?
- Sequel Hook: "NOT the end", says the hourglass ending screen. Unfortunately, the Dreamcast sequel was cancelled.
- Timed Mission: You're only given so much time to complete a level before it kicks you out and you have to start it over again.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: The whole purpose of Chakan's mission is to be free of his immortality