|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Cedar Rapids is a 2011 comedy directed by Miguel Arteta and stars Ed Helms, John C Reilly, Anne Heche, Isiah Whitlock Jr. and Sigourney Weaver. Helms plays a Wisconsin insurance salesman who goes to a convention in the eponymous city in Iowa. Along the way, Hilarity Ensues.
The film contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Ronald mentions being a huge fan of "the HBO program The Wire". His actor, Isiah Whitlock Jr., played Clay Davis on the show.
- Adorkable: Tim and Ronald.
- Black and Nerdy: Ronald
- Break the Cutie: When Tim finds out that Roger Lemke, his idol, was a sexual deviant that even Joan couldn't keep up with and that he bribed the ASMI president for each of his Two-Diamond awards. Tim also has to do the same to save his company. He redeems himself later on.
- Celebrity Paradox: The above re: Ronald and The Wire.
- Chekhov's Gun: Ronald made mention that he's a huge fan of The Wire. This actually becomes useful later on.
- Coming of Age Story
- The Cutie: Tim.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Fan Disservice: Ed Helms and Kurtwood Smith have a nude scene together.
- Flyover Country: Tim leads such a sheltered small-town life that a flight to Cedar Rapids, Iowa is a big deal for him.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Bree.
- Hookers and Blow: Bree introduces Tim to marijuana and cocaine.
- Hot Mom: Joan
- Hot Teacher: Marcy was Tim's former teacher.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Tim and Bree develop the beginnings of one of these.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Dean. He may seem like a jerk early on (due to his abrasive behavior and some unsavory rumors about him) but he shows a lot of love for his daughter and his friends.
- May-December Romance: Tim and Marcy.
- Ms. Fanservice: Joan.
- Sir Swearsalot: Dean.
- Television Geography: Due to an Iowa Film Tax Credit scandal, the movie, rather infamously, was filmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan instead of the titular city, although shots of the actual Cedar Rapids were super imposed into some shots and seen through a plane window.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Guess.