|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Cake Wrecks is a blog devoted to the collection of pictures of astoundingly ugly, poorly-made, or otherwise entertaining professionally-made cakes. Jen and John, the married couple who run the blog, collect user-submitted photos and make a new post containing one or more cakes every day except Saturday. Sundays are devoted to "Sunday Sweets", cakes which are actually well-crafted and attractive, as an antidote to the weekday hideousness.
In the words of Jen, "A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places."
Think of it as MS Ting with baking.
This website contains examples of:
- A Worldwide Punomenon: And how.
- Accidental Pun: Some of the bakers create punny cakes without themselves even knowing!
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Sadly averted with some cakes.
- Berserk Button: Jen really HATES cupcake cakes.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: New Year's Resolutions.
- Deadpan Snarkers: Jen and john (the hubby of Jen).
- The Ditz: Some of the bakers, evidently.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Numerous cakes come out not looking quite like the baker intended, notably the "turkey poo-wang" cakes.
- Epic Fail: A regular occurrence. Especially when a cake ends up inedible, for some reason.
- Everything's Better with Chocolate: No, no it isn't.
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: Shark-Attack Cupcake ... Mountain?
- Expo Label: These, among others.
- Food Porn: Many of the Sweets. Some of the Wrecks could be considered Food Gorn, particularly the one that caught fire and melted--in front of Kerry Vincent (called the Simon Cowell of cakes).
- Freudian Slip
- Gag Boobs: Some of the supposedly-human-shaped cakes.
- Gag Penis: The space shuttle cake, albeit unintentionally so.
- Giftedly Bad: Most of the featured bakers.
- Gretzky Has the Ball: The writers admit they know very little about sports. Some of the wreckerators know even less.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Not a few people that show up here.
- Hurricane of Puns: Often.
- Insane Troll Logic: The only explanation for some of the cakes.
- Kill It with Fire: Literally. Here.
- Literal Minded: Another common trait of wreckerators, as shown in this infamous example.
- LOLcats: Referenced a few times.
- The Mockbuster: Parodied here.
- Not Making This Up Disclaimer: One post featuring long-neglected, disgusting-looking display "cakes" (styrofoam iced up to show off the decorators' skill) had to clarify that they were all from bakeries that were still in operation. (For now.)
- Overly Long Gag: Twenty-two individual choking opportunities.
- Poor Communication Kills: Many wrecks are the result of phone orders. Case in point: the memory stick.
- Pungeon Master: Jen and John are unapologetic about the volume of puns in their writeups.
- Rouge Angles of Satin
- Running Gag: "I want sprinkles", the "naked mohawk-baby carrot jockeys (which is now part of the site's main banner!) and Epcot.
- Serial Escalation: Just when you think the cakes can't get any dumber or uglier, they do.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Names get misspelled in some pretty impressive ways, the best one probably being this one.
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: In this entry about a wedding cake that appears to have sperm decorations. "Roses are red/And cake can be pretty./How sad for you,/'Cuz yours looks all.../[eyeing children]/...unpleasant.
- That Came Out Wrong
- Trivially Obvious: "1 Dad". Not "#1 Dad", just a dad.
- The Illegible: Incoherent inscriptions are par for the course. Happy Falker Satherhood!
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Quotation marks seem to suffer the most, e.g. the mildly worrying "Thanks For Being Our 'Dad'."
- You Fail Biology Forever: Most of the cake depictions of humans and animals are anatomically impossible.
"Last I checked, turtles don't walk around facing the sky."