|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
C.R.A.Z.Y. is a 2005 French Canadian film. The film is set from the 1960s to the 1980s. It follows Zac, the fourth of five brothers of the Beaulieu family. His brothers are Christian the Bookworm, Raymond the drug addicted Casanova, Antoine the Jerk Jock and Yvan the…uh…youngest. His mother, Laurianne, is a devout Catholic; she is convinced that Zac is a miracle child due to consulting a Tupperware selling mystic. His father Gervais is concerned with having his sons grow up as manly men, not sissies. This takes a toll on Zac his entire life due to being gay.
CRAZY provides examples of:
- Armored Closet Gay: Zac doesn't come to terms with his sexuality until the very end of the film.
- Aw, Look -- They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite all the animosity between Raymond and Zac, there are moments that show that they do care about each other. Zac giving Raymond money and Raymond beating the shit out of some guys who said say Zac is gay come to mind.
- The Beard: Michelle.
- Berserk Button: Zac being called fag. Interesting variation in that it's not Zac that gets angry, but his father. Also Raymond beats up some guys for saying Zac is gay.
- Bishonen: Zac. Paul too.
- But Not Too Gay: It's interesting that this film chronicles a gay man from birth to adulthood and yet there's not even one kiss between him and another man.
- Chekhov's Gun: The importance of the Patsy Cline album Zac broke as a child is highlighted at the end when Zac realized Gervais loved the album so much that he named his sons after one of the singles.
- Closet Key: Zac's cousin has a boyfriend named Paul, to whom he was clearly attracted from the get-go, but was in constant denial about it.
- Coming Out Story
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Zac repeatedly, while watching Raymond with his many sexual escapades.
- Dysfunctional Family
- Fun with Acronyms: Made apparent at the very end. The first letters of the Beaulieu brothers' names spell out the word "crazy".
- Mr. Fanservice: Ohh Zac. The first appearance of him all grown up is him waking up in his underwear. Then there's a slow pan of his entire body. The rest of the film isn't too stingy with his Shirtless Scenes either.
- Sibling Rivalry: Raymond and Zac. Zac's narration introduced Raymond as his "sworn enemy."
- Straight Gay: Zac. One of the reasons why he denies that he's gay to himself and to others is because of the fact that he doesn't act like a stereotype.
- Title Drop: The significance of the title isn't completely apparent until right before the credits. See Fun with Acronyms above.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Zac's special bond with Yvan seems to completely disappear when they get older, with no explanation given besides the fact that Yvan grew up.