|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Bytes of Life is a gag-based Web Comic starring two humans; Kakujo; his his baby daughter, Ilia; and various video game characters, mainly Nintendo's, though others, such as Sackboy from Little Big Planet appear on occasion. It is written and drawn by Bryan Lacie.
The comic uses a full-colored, mostly cell-shaded style.
If you are a fan of Nintendo, real-world/game-world mashups, or video games in general, this is a web-comic you must read.
It can be found at its umbrella-site: KakuJomics.
- Alt Text: All the comics.
- Anticlimax: You're lead to believe Luigi is going to partake in some bad-assery. However, as usual, the poor guy is only fooling himself.
- Art Evolution: In addition to the normal color/shadows, the lines became smoother and highlights were added, over time.
- A Worldwide Punomenon: Most of the comic titles are puns. Plus, the occasional pun is thrown in, for good measure.
- Bathos: To Kakujo, protecting his loved ones and home from moths is serious business.
- Bittersweet Ending: Kirby and Yoshi want to keep their first Sackboy, but destroy another in their protest.
- Brick Joke: Kirby and the dinosaur are thrown off-screen, mid-comic, but return at the end.
- Butt Monkey: Poor Weegee...
- Call Back: This comic remembers its original comic description, and thusly, its obligation of baby to its readers.
- Calling Your Attacks: FALCON PAWNCH! Hiken. Zankuusen.
- Creator Thumbprint: The comic follows various characters from Nintendo's franchises and a few others, but Kirby is most prominent, usually appearing with Kakujo.
- Cross Dresser: Sackboy's lady-friend has a little more (or less?) to her than she's letting on.
- Crossover: Most of the comics are crossovers of Nintendo characters. But in a few comics, Sackboy from Little Big Planet makes an appearance.
- Destructive Saviour: Kirby is often the definition of such.
- Extreme Omnivore: C'mon... It's Kirby.
- Fantastic Religious Weirdness: Even the most devout creeper has trouble staying patient with God's children.
- Fat Bastard: Mario... What happened to you...? And what are you going to do to that Diglett?
- Gross Up Close-Up: Wobbuffet's face in the 7th and last panel change drastically.
- Hidden Depths: Wobbuffet is generally known for his ability to deal double damage back to an assailant with a counter-attack, but this one seems to have mastered something far more sinister.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Another CSI: Miami pun.
- Jerkass: Goomba the Douche.
- Little-Known Facts: Creepers from Minecraft are Jehovah's Witness.
- Long Bus Trip: Kakujo, and especially Ilia, disappear quite often to give way to traditional gag-parodies.
- Not So Different: King Dedede and Kirby. Noted in King Dedede's character bio.
- One-Gender Race: Sackboy's attempt at dating has led him to a most disturbing realization.
- Original Character: The lead human roles of the comic, Kakujo and Ilia.
- Pixellation: Random Meta Knight sausage. But don't worry, It's censored.
- Reaction Shot: Many of the comics end with a reaction shot. The seemingly best of which can be found at the end of this comic.
- Record Needle Scratch: Followed by an awkward silence and an incredulous stare...
- Shout-Out: In almost every comic, in one sense or another.
- Sound Effect Bleep: The Pokemon trainer's disdain at Creepers destroying his Sandshrew pushes him to utter a curse. But, hey, Pokemon's a kid thing... Right?
- Start of Darkness: Bowsers proposed turning point.
- Story Arc: One here, and another here.
- Suicide as Comedy: Sackboy explodes when trying to be like Kirby and Yoshi.
- Surprise Creepy: In a random turn of events, an ability isn't the only thing Kirby acquires from that girl.
- What starts as a cheery picnic for Yoshi, Kirby and Sackboy, ends as a terrible disaster.
- The Jinx: Ash's past companions explain the successes they were able to achieve only after parting ways with him and his stinky Pikachu. Brock is doomed...
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Wobbuffet layed the smackdown on Captain Falcon.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Luigi is almost celebrated in Bytes of Life. Especially in this comic.
- Tomato Surprise: In what starts as a seemingly harmless prank, Wario and Waluigi end up pushing things much farther than they had intended.
- Tricksters: Gengar's cruelty holds few things sacred, let alone a meek little Diglett.
- Troll: In most webcomics, Captain Falcon's (in)famous Falcon Punch is usually depicted as borderline Tourette Syndrome. In this comic, however, he's just patronizing Kirby.
- Necrodeus' evil spreads even to poor Yoshi.