|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The Burlesque Lounge has its best days behind it. Tess(Cher), a retired dancer and owner of the venue, struggles to keep the aging theater alive, facing all kinds of financial and artistic challenges. With the Lounge's troupe members becoming increasingly distracted by personal problems and a threat coming from a wealthy businessman's quest to buy the spot from Tess, the good fortune seems to have abandoned the club altogether. Meanwhile, the life of Ali (Christina Aguilera), a small-town girl from Iowa, is about to change dramatically. Hired by Tess as a waitress at the Lounge, Ali escapes a hollow past and quickly falls in love with the art of burlesque. Backed by new-found friends amongst the theater's crew, she manages to fulfill her dreams of being on stage herself. Things take a dramatic turn though when Ali's big voice makes her become the main attraction of the revue.
- Alpha Bitch: Nikki, full stop.
- Blue Eyes: Ali and Jack both have some gorgeous baby blues.
- Burlesque: Obviously.
- Chekhov's Gun: Air rights.
- Disposable Fiance: Natalie. Inevitable, really.
- Chewing the Scenery: Christina Aguilera: The Musical need I say more
- Ms. Fanservice: Christina Aguilera is extremely sexy in this film, also the club they perform at is known for being sexy.
- Mr. Fanservice: Jack. Oh, Jack.
- Fan Service
- Hair of Gold: Ali.
- Incompatible Orientation: Tess and Sean.
- Mistaken for Gay: Ali thought Jack was gay at first. Becomes a Brick Joke.
- Morning Sickness: Tess finds one of the dancers in the bathroom stall throwing up. Tess tells her "Please don't tell me you have the flu" The dancer gives Tess a meaningful look, and then Tess says "Please tell me have the flu" The whole interaction suggests that the dancer is pregnant and won't be able to dance at the club.
- Product Placement: Famous Amos, rather prominently in one scene.
- Romantic False Lead: Marcus and Natalie.
- Invisible to Gaydar / Camp Gay: Sean.
- Team Mom: Tess, but don't ever call her "Ma'am."
- True Companions: Subverted with the people from the club. Jack claims this but Ali is quick to counterdict him.