|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
The story: The titular character is an everyday human male named Entaro, who is also a self-proclaimed hero of Justice. With the help of the brilliant yet perverted tiger scientist named Professor Buttertoast, he fights the organization known as Dragon Mafia Co. Using a special collar, he turns into the superhero known as Build Tiger (BT for short). Unfortunately, most of the time he usually ends up some other anthro male's bitch, something of which he isn't particularly proud. Thus, Hilarity Ensues.
This series is popular with the Bara Genre fanbase. There are eleven volumes out so far (plus a few extra chapters), with a new one released each Comiket. During the Summer 2010 Comiket, instead of a new volume, a fan-collaboration doujin called Build Tiger Anthology was released. It contains Build Tiger comics, made by other artists, including a few popular kemono artists like Manya and Amakuchi. About half is clean and the other half is adult-themed. A prologue-type Volume 0 (which was only 4 pages long) was published in another bara doujin, ironically called "Buttered Toast".
Tropes associated with Build Tiger:
- Ass Shove: Napa's "Millenium Killer" is this. With his horn.
- Badass: A lot of characters.
- Call to Adventure: Hilariously subverted. In the prologue, BT asks Buttertoast if he was one of those people chosen for great things. Buttertoast flat out tells him that he's just some person he picked off the streets at random.
- Dirty Old Man: Buttertoast, also his friend Bagelsand (but only when he's drunk).
- Edible Theme Naming: Most of the characters.
- Furry Confusion: Baglesand, an anthropomorphic lion, has a pet non-anthropomorphic bear.
- For that matter, Build Tiger is a transformed human, but all the other beastmen seem to be that way naturally.
- Grumpy Old Man: Played with. Buttertoast has an old lion friend named Baglesand who is pretty fine... until he gets drunk, then he's a Dirty Old Man. Build Tiger found out the hard way when he gave Baglesand the Liquor Buttertoast (who couldn't go with BT due one of his fuck buddies calling him for sex), sent with him as a present for Baglesand.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Professor Buttertoast invokes this, saying BT shouldn't care about his outfit being revealing, as most animals don't wear clothes anyway (though his actual intentions are obviously perverted). Buttertoast himself only wears a lab coat and boxer shorts, and says he only wears them because the police complain otherwise.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: Build Tiger tries to deny being gay, but seems to have never even gone out with a girl. In fact in Volume 3, he claims he has a girlfriend and tries to call her (as Inari called off the fight early to go see his girlfriend), but actually dials a number not being used. In Volume 4, he tells Woo Long that he has had sex with many women (again lying).
- Hot Springs Episode
- Manly Gay: Practically everyone.
- Megaton Punch: Tiger Punch, Build Tiger's signature move, It's also the attack he uses against a tanuki named Inari. Being a tanuki obviously means he has a certain shield to block attacks until BT gains this attack from Baglesand.
- Porn with Plot: It doesn't adequately pretend to be anything else, per Rule of Funny.
- Shout-Out: In Volume 2, one of the costumes BT puts on was from the Cheetahmen, specifically Apollo's tank top.
- Stripperific: Build Tiger's outfit (which is just gloves, boots, a cape, and a clip-on thong). He even lampshades it in Volume 2 by saying he's "one step shy of a stripper, like some exhibitionist!" Volume 2 is mainly about him getting Buttertoast to change his outfit to something less stripper-ish.
- This Is a Drill: One of the Dragon Mafia members, Rice Cake, is a mole with a drill for one of his hands.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Build Tiger x any random person.
- Wardrobe Malfunction:
- Build Tiger does this intentionally as a plea for attention when Dr. Buttertoast is ignoring him. It doesn't work.
- Happens more traditionally in Volume 7. When Napa headbutts BT, his thong gets caught on Napa's horn and pulled completely off.