|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Real name Brent Black, this guy, long story short, is the most prominent authority in the currently rising video game branch of the recent "With Lyrics" phenomenon.
While he started out doing piano renditions of Nintendo songs on YouTube, it wasn't until his "What if Mega Man 3...Had Lyrics?" video that he got his big break. After gaining a small cult following, he rose to further fame with deal to feature some of his videos on Screw Attack. This landed him his very first concert and an album, "What if this CD...Had Lyrics?"
A self-themed webcomic began in August, in collaboration with Dan Roth and relatively well known illustrator Andrew Dobson.
What if this page...Had examples?:
- Badass Beard: The man himself.
- Badass Boast: The entire 'Castlevania with lyrics' song is this, sung from Simon Belmont's point of view.
Simon/Brentalfloss: Dracula/I am backula/To lay the smacula/Like great-grandpa Trevor
You're gonna die!/Bubbles! Bubbles!/I'll tell you why!/Bubbles! Bubbles!
- Bald of Awesome: Him.
- Blue Eyes: Him again.
- Brick Joke: Duck Butt Lollipop in the comic.
- Butt Monkey: In most of the pages in the Brentalfloss comic.
- The Cameo: Got one in a Nostalgia Chick video, of all things.
- Camp Gay: His "Mega Man Boss Interviews" videos depict Jewel Man as this, and in a relationship with Plant Man.
- Captain Obvious: The opening of 'Contra with lyrics'.
- Cluster F-Bomb: A staple of his discography.
- Continuity Nod: Towards the end of the Star Fox Space Oddity video, Scrooge McDuck can be seen floating past in space, referring back to the DuckTales Moon Theme video.
- Darker and Edgier: His Kirby song depicts Kirby as a monster who is going to eat every human being and steal their souls.
- Did Not Do the Research: Averted with his videos, which clearly demonstrate he's played the games he sings about
- Played straight in his "Top 10 overlooked NES themes" video, where he notes how purposes behind the MM 4 robot masters seemed rather bizarre, like Skull Man being the "evil funeral home director" or Ring Man "the crappy magic tricks assistant" Except these two were built just to fight Mega Man, not with real world functions in mind.
- Also played straight in his Mega Man videos, where many times he shows a picture of a different Mega Man than the one (the original) all of his Mega Man videos are about.
- Godwin's Law: The "Kirby With Lyrics" video describes Kirby as anti-semitic, and shows a picture of Kirby dressed as Hitler.
and hungry as hell.
He likes kids who eat kosher the best."
- He also mentions the possibilities of Jewish Nazis in his Civilization rendition.
- Konami Code: This forms the chorus of the 'Contra with lyrics' song.
- Lyrical Dissonance: One of his songs takes the upbeat, energetic tune from the Mega Man 3 game over screen...and sets it to a "The Reason You Suck" Speech directed at the player, with lines like "You're a sack of putrid shit! Dig a hole! Jump in it!". Lampshaded by the introduction: "Sure, the "game over" music from Mega Man 3 sounds happy. But did you ever get the feeling that the game was just being a dick?"
- Modesty Shorts: In Zelda II With Lyrics while cosplaying as Link.
- Mondegreen: Does this to Final Fantasy VII's Ominous Latin Chanting in "One-Winged Angel: Decoded".
- Motor Mouth: His cover of the Banjo-Kazooie main theme is currently the closest he has ever got to "Hardware Store" in the "impossible to sing" territory.
- Mythology Gag: At 2:54 of Star Fox: Space Oddity, a Scrooge McDuck figure floats by.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: His "Gregorian Chant style" cover of the Super Mario Bros. theme.
- One of Us: He's Proud to Be a Geek, as you can tell from his shirt in the image above.
- Precision F-Strike: Sometimes, the F Bombs can come in small numbers despite Brent's usual reliance on large groups of swears. Case in point:
- Self-Deprecation: The Trojan condom Brentalfloss mentions in his aforementioned rendition of Terra's theme is literally said to be "extra small, extra small".
- Sequelitis / First Installment Wins: Invoked in Mega Man 2 With Lyrics:
"See, 3 was good,
and 4 was pretty good...
and 5 and 6 were okay
but 7 sucked big dinosaur balls!"
"Must restore peace! Must escape! Peace in the universe is once again restored...HOLYCRAPIMAGIRL!!!"
- He managed to combine it with Fridge Brilliance! In the G-rated version Brantalfloss did of his "Zelda with lyrics" song, he replaced the idea of "Link being rewarded with sex" for "Link being rewarded with cake". Since Princess Peach is always promising Mario cake, it's become a Meme that "Cake" is a G-rated codeword for sex. All and all, he is simply using the G-Rated idea of sex in his G-rated song about sex.
- Small Name, Big Ego: An essential part of his Brentalfloss character. He used to end every video with "subscribe, mofos." As of now, however, "mofo" still borders on Verbal Tic.
- During the Brentalween series, he carved his own face into a pumpkin. That is, he carved a pumpkin to look like his face. Not the other thing.
- Something Completely Different: Occasionally, instead of putting lyrics to video game music, he'll put new lyrics about video games to songs that already have lyrics. For example, Super Mario World to the tune of What A Wonderful World.
- Stop Helping Me!: In Star Fox: Space Oddity
Fox: This is Fox McCloud to Star Fox team!
Hey, Falco, you're a douche!
And please, Peppy, for the love of God, retire!
As for Slippy, will you please die in a fire!? Immediately!
- Stylistic Suck / Rule of Funny: The crappy day to night dissolves from Castlevania 2 get a Shout-Out in the 'Castlevania II with lyrics' video.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: His rendition of the Game Over music from Mega Man 3. He points out that because it's such an upbeat song, it sounds kinda dickish.
"That was fun, but now you're done.
You're out of luck because you suck.
You're not quite as good as everyone else who plays it.
Don't continue, just give in,
You silly boob, ya fuckin' noob,
Just turn off the power and cry yourself to sleep, you pussy."
- Toilet Humour: The entirety of "Sewer Surfin' With Lyrics".
- Turn Your Head and Cough: Spoken by Dr. Mario in this song number, which depicts the character as being a quack.
- Visual Pun: Zelda 2 With Lyrics includes the lyric "Kicking some ass! Kicking some ass! Kicking some ass!" In the video, this is set to Link slashing with his sword...and then he kicks a donkey.
- Whole-Plot Reference: The entire premise of the 'With Lyrics' songs. Done gloriously.
- With Lyrics: No, really?
- Your Mom: What has been listed under Self-Deprecation above is accompanied by "don't tell your mom", in hushed tones.
The end, Mofos.