|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Grimley, a small town Oop North, is based around two things, the colliery (Oop North-ish for "coal mine") and the colliery band. Gloria, the granddaughter of a now-deceased bandmember, moves back to Grimley, and becomes the first female band member. At the same time, the mine is threatened by closure, which would result in widespread local unemployment and could effectively kill the town. A film much about coping with losses, moving on, and focusing on good things. Most famous for its (understandably) brass band soundtrack, recorded by the Grimethorpe Colliery Band.
Shows examples of:
- Based on a True Story: Grimley is a thinly veiled version of Grimethorpe, that went through a similar chain of events. The Grimethorpe Colliery Band played the music for the soundtrack.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: The managers who ordered the profitability survey in spite of having made the closure decision TWO YEARS earlier.
- Covers Always Lie: There are more than a few DVD releases of this film which would have you believe it's a romcom.
- Driven to Suicide: Phil. He survives.
- Harsher in Hindsight Coal has since become economically viable since the early 1990s "Dash for Gas"
- Incurable Cough of Death: Danny
- It's All Junk: Danny's view of the British Brass Band Championship trophy
- Kitchen Sink Drama
- Loan Shark: They're after Phil, to collect the money he borrowed to support his family during the Great Strike.
- Post War British Politics: More specifically Margaret Thatcher. Described throughout using four-letter words.
- Precision F-Strike: At the end of Danny's emotional "This government has systematically destroyed an entire industry" speech in the Royal Albert Hall: "Aye, they can play a bloody good tune, but what the fook does that matter?"
- Sad Clown: Pete/Mr Chuckles is a literal sad clown.
- Oop North (Well, duh!)
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Gloria.