|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
SACRIFICE FOR THE REPOSE OF SOULS
Created by Taida Kikuhiko and Hanao Sutaro, Bloody Maiden: Juusanki no Shima is a Slasher Movie manga, with many of the standard tropes played very straight. Because of this, it is mature; and as you can tell by the number of spoilers on here, there are Death Tropes abound.
It is the 16th century. A group of bandits known as the Kidoshu wander Japan, plundering and storing their vast treasures on Toomariki Island. However, they don’t escape the law for long, and eventually are caught, crucified, and burned alive. Over time, their legend fades, leaving the island and the museum on it as the only monument to them.
Flash forward a half century or so. Onitsuka Miaki and Koizumi Suzuka, along with the ten other girls in their naginata club and the advisor, go to Toomarimiki for a retreat to hone their skills. However, the gruesome past of the island rapidly catches up, and as one after another gets brutally offed, they have to band together to find who the killer is, and fast.
Tropes in Bloody Maiden: Juusanki no Shima include:
- Action Girls: Subverted hard. Some of the girls do try and manage to pull off a fight before getting killed.
- Action Survivors: Miaki, Koizumi, and Yuri are the only survivors.
- A-Cup Angst: Kaizawa. The others don’t fail to bring this up.
- Anyone Can Die
- Blackmail: Kotone is revealed to be a victim of this in Chapter 10.
- Big Eater: Suzuka. She devours almost all of Risa’s rice and immediately asks for seconds.
- Bittersweet Ending
- Boobs of Steel: Kotone and Risa. The former is the captain, while the latter is the vice-captain and the only person so far to parry the killer. Doesn’t help in the end, though.
- Break the Cutie: Overall, all the characters via the killer. Specifically, Miaki right after seeing Risa, her big sister figure, killed and thrown off a windmill as the fifth sacrifice.
- Bury Your Gays: Hoshino and Tachibana, the second and third sacrifices. They get axed right after making out.
- The Can Kicked Her: Imobuki, the sixth sacrifice, is killed on the toilet.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Suzuka, combined with Genki Girl.
- Demonic Possession: Is implied to be why the killer’s been doing what he does.
- Disney Villain Death / Disney Death : Risa, though able to fend the killer, is slashed and falls to her death off the windmill tower. Koizumi, later on, is knocked off the cliff by the cave, but is found to be alive when the remaining survivors search for Kotone and Maki.
- Fan Service: Coupled heavily with Fan Disservice, since many of the girls are stripped before being killed. However, Hitoe-sensei in a bikini in the first chapter is very easy on the eyes...
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Risa. Justified, because she has younger siblings and no mother to look after them.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Miaki, Sanguine. Kaizawa, Choleric. Risa, Phlegmatic. Kotone, Melancholic.
- Furo Scene
- Go Mad From the Revelation: Imobuki. She...doesn’t take the deaths too well.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kotone.
- Hidden Depths: Kotone is indirectly responsible for the murders. Kaizawa does not take this well.
- Hot-Blooded: Kaizawa.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Imobuki’s mentioned in her character description to be pudgy, but she looks no fatter than any of the others, probably due to Generic Cuteness.
- Kill'Em All
- Lady of War: Kotone is an confusing example; she suffers from Faux Action Girl syndrome , and has done some things a Lady of War would never do.
- Missing Mom: Risa, whose mother had passed away.
- Ojou: Kotone Igasaki, whose parents own a major corporation. Turns out she's done some things a princess wouldn't do.
- Not Quite Dead: Chapters 7-9 is a rather complicated example.
- Off With Her Head: Kaizawa in Chapter 10.
- Redheaded Hero: Miaki.
- Reincarnation?: Miaki bears a striking similarity to Benihime, but what this is supposed to imply hasn’t been mentioned yet.
- Secret Underground Passage: Where it leads to, though, hasn't yet been revealed.
- Shout-Out: Primarily to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, with the killer being nicknamed “Leatherface.”
- Skinship Grope: Miaki and Suzuka to Kotone and Risa, respectively.
- Sixth Ranger: Tsuyoshi Arima, Hitoe-sensei’s fiancé. He appears on the island after the fifth sacrifice, and is notable for being the only man among the main characters.
- Slashed Throat: Yuu gets her throat cut open right in front of Risa as the fourth sacrifice.
- Slasher Movie: More like slasher manga.
- Tall Dark and Bishojo: Tachibana and Kotone.
- Team Mom: Risa.
- Too Dumb to Live: Mochikida. She becomes the seventh sacrifice when she tries to run onto the supply boat, despite the others warning her it’s a bit too suspicious.
- Treasure Room: The limestone cave, which is where Yuu finds the first pieces of gold from the bandit’s hoard and the bodies of the island’s employees. The killer ends up finding her.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: The first few sacrifices get little character development, especially Hitoe-sensei, the first one.