|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A series of Cold War spy novels by William F. Buckley centered around the CIA agent Blackford Oakes. While there is some moral ambiguity, the author had a conscious intention to assume the Soviets were the bad guys and the books reflect that.
Tropes it uses include but are not limited to:
- Born in the Wrong Century: Count Wintergrin in the novel Stained Glass
- Commie Land: the whole premise of the series.
- Dead Little Sister: Clemanta Tod who is dead as far as her brother Henri knows
- Black and Grey Morality: good guys are grey but more or less ok. Communists are Black.
- Historical Domain Character
- Insufferable Genius: Fleetwood
- Intellectually Supported Tyranny: Sir Alastir Fleetwood, a scientist that uses a supertelescope he invented to read American diplomatic messages in Hi Jinx, and then gives them to the Russians.
- La Résistance: The title character of the novel The Story of Henri Tod is leader of an underground group in East Berlin.
- The Spymaster: Rufus.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Count Wintergrin
- Worthy Opponent: Bolgin, the Russian Chief of Station in London in the novel High Jinx.