|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Black Cat Detective (also known as Hei Mao Jing Zhang, or, Cpt. Black, or 黑猫警长) is a Chinese Animated Children's television show of the mid 80's (1984-1987), Beloved by children and adults alike. The show largely consists of Hei Mao kicking ass and taking names. Hei Mao is not unlike Dirty Harry, except that instead of being a cop who is committed to justice but not the rules, he's committed to justice in a world that has no rules. The other most frequent character seems to be known only as "Monoear", a mouse with a bandage on his head. The mice, on the whole, are thieving, evil, dirty and greedy. The show is quite different from American shows, because characters, both good and bad, frequently get Killed Off for Real. A couple of baby animals get eaten alive by an eagle, let's see... Oh yeah, he has a totally Badass Crew of other cats and pigeons.
The plot progression usually looks like this:
1. Mice commit crime. (Let's get drunk and steal some beets!)
3. Mice Run Away (Not sure we thought this through.)
4. Hei Mao Chases them down. (Let us board our flying motorcycles which we can afford thanks to fabulous one-party system and gumption.)
5. Those who resist get beaten with a club. (Which doubles as a taser.)
6. Those who flee get shot. (And there is always blood.)
- Authority Equals Asskicking: AKA "The moral of the story."
- Badass: Hei Mao Jing Zhang is the Chinese Police Chief Cat version of Samuel L. Jackson.
- Badass Crew: Hei Mao Jing Zhang's awesomely cool subordinates.
- Badass Mustache: Well, actually they're whiskers.
- Conspicuously Light Patch: When the elephant... eats... bricks... it made sense at the time, okay?
- Cowboy Cop
- Dirty Coward: Ear.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Funny Animal: All of them.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: "Ear" seems to get his name from the occasion when Hei Mao Jing Zhang shot a bullet at him, and missed. But the bullet, actually curves in mid-air, chases Ear, and then pierces Ear's ear, causing it to fall off. I guess that's why his name is not "Ears". Did ya.. Did ya see what I did there?
- Magic Bullets
- White Gloves: Hard to say if this is it or not, because Chinese police officers actually do wear white gloves.
- Your Size May Vary