|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The comic began life as a sort of "Choose Your Own Adventure" game on /vp/, 4chan's dedicated Pokémon board. Black would write the comic based on suggestions from posts with dubs (in short, posts whose numbers ended with two consecutive numbers), which helps to explain the rather nonsensical beginning of the series, which includes Black getting, of all things, MissingNo. as a starter Pokémon of sorts, and traveling back in time to save Hitler from the Allies. After two chapters of this confusion, the series begins to develop its own (and marginally more logical) plot as Black finally starts his journey to become Champion of the "New York" Pokémon League.
The comic can be read here.
This webcomic has examples of:
- Absolute Cleavage: Episode 14 features Black in Celty's biker suit, the difference being that it's zipped down all the way to his crotch. N as well, given that he's cosplaying Vorona.
- Adult Child: N, who is 21 and a half years old. When a sex scene comes up in Halloween, he obliviously asks Black what they're doing.
- Now 22 since the second anniversary.
- The fact that he calls his penis a "weewee" just cements the point.
- Ambiguously Evil: In chapter 12 Black wonders whether Joseph and Mary really believe in Team Plasma's cause or are being coersed.
- Ambiguously Gay: Half of the N-based humor revolves around N's questionable reasons for accompanying Black on his quest.
- Art Evolution: The normal art style hasn't changed much, but the shifts to higher-quality, anime-style art have improved.
- Although there is a noticeable improvement over time with proportions, backgrounds and shading. To quote a commenter and apparently good friend of Black's, ShihFu, "Oh, lawd. Look at Arti’s arm in the 3rd and 4th pattern. YOUR ANATOMY IS IMPROVING."
- Art Shift:
- Chapter opening splashes feature detailed, anime-style artwork of one character and various other moments are punctuated by similar shifts.
- Episode 23 features a shift to Sailor Moon's art style in particular.
- Attractive Bent Gender:
- Black and N get a variety of catcalls after the cosplay incident in Episode 5. Cheren causes the entire cast to HNNNNGGG in Episode 7 when he's forced into a maid outfit.
- Arti and Elesa in Episode 15 cause Black to fall to the floor in shock. Many readers also had to "HNNNG" at the sight of them.
- Author Appeal: N and Black spend most of episode 03 in French maid outfits. Then Panty and Stocking cosplay. Then Cheren in a French maid outfit. Then sexy Gijinka Meloetta.
- The author is very, VERY fond of cross dressing and Ho Yay
- Badass Normal: Every female character that isn't Team Plasma can take care of themselves, no Transformation Sequences, weapons powered by quantum physics, or Pokemon needed.
- Beach Episode: Episode 19
- BFG: N makes one to use on Hitlersect.
- Bi the Way: Black appears to fall into this, judging by his crush on White and on Arti.
- Arti as well, who believes that love knows no gender.
- Blush Sticker: Frequently.
- Fennel is a notable example, as she always has a Blush Sticker.
- Brick Joke: Bel mentions that Cheren should wear a maid costume in episode 3. Then cue Moe Moe Kyun in episode 7.
- When N and Black are first in Striaton, Pod notes that "EATING OFF OUR BODIES IS RECOMMENDED!" He's naked in his next appearance.
- In an unofficial omake, Ghetsis shows up at the Striaton restaurant and is served by Pod. Some comments inquired how he manages to keep a straight face. Over a year later in the actual comic, it's revealed that Ghetsis's past encounter with Kyurem left him with facial paralysis. Brick Plot Point, much?
- Broken Pedestal: Cheren is horrified to learn that the man he has aspired to be is really a senile old man.
- Call Back: What? Save Hitler? Don't be ridiculous!
- Cerebus Syndrome: Mild example
- Cheren's Gun: The Chesto Berries that Cheren gave to Black during the Christmas Episode save them from Meloetta's sleep-inducing singing.
- The Psychic TM that Cheren gives Joy ends up saving his/her life.
- Christmas Episode: N doesn't learn the true meaning of Christmas. Or money.
- Clothing Damage: Episode 9 Part 40, combined with a Shout-Out to the Panchira meme.
- Happens to Black big time in episode 20.
- Continuity Nod: The confusing first two chapters were totally canon, as later chapters reveal, although Black admits that the whole ordeal was strange and dreamlike.
- Also, Black still retains a bit of his tan from the Beach Episode in the following episode.
- Cry Cute: N. Oh N. Also Joy. But mostly N.
- Cut and Paste Translation: The comic uses both Japanese and English-localized terms liberally, in part because the comic began before any details on Black and White's localization were released. For example, the Castelia Gym Leader's Japanese name is Arti while his English name is Burgh; his Black Adventures name is Arti Burgh.
- Deadpan Snarker: Cheren, Black in the beggining arguably.
- Deconstruction: In the games, the loser of a Pokémon battle must give money to the winner. The Trial Triangle's restaurant is nearly bankrupt because of this.
- Deus Ex Machina: One of the main reasons the author decided to keep MissingNo. around.
- Dirty Old Mon: Thundurus is disappointed when Black and N's latest transformation doesn't include miniskirts and PantyShots.
- Dissonant Serenity: Apple the Victini, who can talk about his broken legs with apathetic manner and with a same face he made when he introduced himself.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Thundurus acts like a perv and wreaks havoc throughout Nimbasa. Black's Superpowered Evil Side beats Thundurus to a pulp.
- Distracted by the Sexy: N to Black when Black wears lacy lingerie to attract Tornadus.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: From Episode 15, part 25:
N: It's my first time!
Black: Mine, too.
N: I'm glad we waited, Black.
- They're talking about riding a ferris wheel. N is glad they waited because it looks prettier at night.
- Dramatic Irony: In episode 19, Bel tells N that her father is overprotective because he loves her. N assumes the same about his own father. Of course, if you've played the games...
- Dub Name Change: Zig-zagged. Some characters are called by their Japanese names (examples we can se here include Bianca, Chili and Burgh) while others are called by their English names. Some use both names with one as a given name and the other as a surname.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Several times in the story, Black is mistaken for a girl. The outfits that he wears after transformation don't really help this problem.
Black: You guys do realize that I'm a dude, right?
Ingo: Not by Deutsch standards.
- Dynamic Entry: In episode 04, Black's mother calls Black's Xtransceiver, kicks him in the face, and gives him his running shoes.
- Then in Episode 13, not only do Ingo and Emmet crash through the subway windows in introduce themselves, their Pokemon just drop in through the ceiling.
- Eye Scream: MissingNo. bitchslaps Mary straight in the eye which ends being hideously bloodshot.
- Faceless Masses: In one strip, an NPC Joy is tending to doesn't have a face. Just the letters NPC where it should be
- Fan Service: Black and N's crossdressing, among other things. The author also seems to know that straight males are reading this comic also.
- Episode 15. ALL OF IT has made reviewers go HHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGG.
- Flat What:
N: Fine, I know what to do. Black, follow my lead. Cue music! (N's Menger sponge starts glowing.)
- Foreshadowing: The artist's logo in her Deviantart page shows Black turning into Kcalb long before Kcalb even appeared in the comic.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Kcalb always appears in the nude.
- Fusion Dance: Kcalb appears to be a combination of Black and MissingNo.
- Gag Censor: N's "Weewee" is covered by Junichi Masuda (the composer for the Pokemon Games).
- Black's gets covered by Chris Hansen.
- And Cheren's gets a question mark. It Makes Sense in Context...sort of.
- Gender Bender: Turning into Sailor Scouts turns Black and Joy into girls.
- Genre Savvy: By the time Black gets to Nimbasa Gym in episode 14 he's used to the cross-dressing and fighting random Pokemon. He even hopes the costumes aren't as revealing as the last few times.
- Gratuitous German: SCHWARZWALD (look it up)
- Heroic Sociopath: MissingNo.
- MissingNo. ain't got nothing on rKcalb.
- High-Class Glass: Churchill's Snivy wears one with a top hat, of course.
- Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act: Inverted, subverted, and whatever else. Not only do the go back to save Hitler, they succeed and bring him back to the modern era. We've yet to see any ramifications of this.
- Ho Yay: Like there's no tomorrow.
- If It's You It's Okay: Arti is by all signs gay, but claims "love knows no gender" and was at one point in love with Elesa.
- In the Name of the Moon: When Black and N transform to combat the giant Garbodor in episodes 5 and 8, they recite an altered version of Panty and Stocking's chant from Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt.
O pitiable Pokémon born in a world not its own; receive freedom from some guys in drag; cleansed of human impact; return to your state of purity. Liberate!
- Played straight in episode 23, where a Sailor Scout-transformed Black and Joy recite their own version of Sailor Moon's Catch Phrase.
- In the Style Of: It looks completely like something that would come from Hiimdaisy's hands.
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Magical Girl Transformation Sequences? Quantum physics. The Nimbasa subway still running despite the power shortage? It runs on Ingo and Emmet's Bruderliebe.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Black.
- Jerkass: Joseph, Mary and Jesus. Black and N both have their moments too. Cheren too, Black even calls him a dick. Not to mention MissingNo., responsible for every (comical) death in the comic so far. But we love them all. Probably, everyone except Joy has had their moment (Even Bel!).
- Keet: Pod.
EATING OFF OUR BODIES IS RECOMMENDED!
- Lampshade Hanging: The beginning of the comic made absolutely no sense, mainly because the author had to blindly follow whatever /vp/ threw at her. And Black does these nonsensical things with confused or exasperated looks on his face.
- Large Ham: Thundurus.
Thundurus: BLACK, YOU SAY? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU~ AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA
- Level Grinding: Black and Joy set off to do this at the beginning of chapter 12.
- Living Weapon: Black's MissingNo. sword. Also a Morph Weapon and an Equippable Ally since MissingNo. is an actual character.
- Man in a Bikini: N tries to wear one for the Beach Episode, but Black makes him change.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Other than his look of surprise, Black seems rather calm having a sword stabbed into his chest.
- The Medic: Joy the Audino.
- Mood Whiplash: End of episode 14. Holy shit!
- Murder Is the Best Solution: MissingNo. certainly thinks so.
- Naked People Are Funny: N in Episode 20. Word of God also mentions that Black is naked everytime he becomes Kcalb.
N: "He saw my Weewee!!"
- Naughty Nurse Outfit: N in episode 15. Reviewers approve.
- No Indoor Voice: I'M POD!
- No Sense of Personal Space: Pod. Poor N.
- No Social Skills: N.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Episode 15 is an (all-male) corsets fest.
- Of Corset Hurts: N got a little happy with the lacing.
- Omake: Included on the site is a series of "bonus" comics which was, like the first two canon episodes, drawn based on suggestions from /vp/ posters.
- Or Was It a Dream?: Episodes 1 and 2 are shaping up to be dreams made reality by Fennel/Makomo's Musharna's Dream Smoke.
- Orwellian Retcon: After the English versions of Black and White came out, the author went back and corrected most of the Japanese terminology to its English equivalent.
- Perpetual Frowner: Joseph and Ingo.
- Perpetual Smiler: Pod and Emmet.
Emmet: I am saddened! I cannot express sadness.
- Pre-Ass-Kicking One-Liner: "I'll show you entertainment!"
- Promoted Fangirl: See Snake Talk.
- Pseudo Crisis: The second-to-last installement of Episode 15 ended on Black getting gruesomely stabbed with gorgeous blood splash and all and readers freaking out over the cliffhanger and going crazy with theories. Next installement, nothing at all happened on Black's side except Joy healing him with Heal Pulse.
- Psychoactive Powers: The transformation sequences and outfits get noticeably less flashy when N is depressed.
Black: These outfits are kinda... plain, don't you think?
N: I can't help it...
- Quicksand Sucks: Black and Joy fall for this in episode 12.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The drawing style makes this of almost all (legit) Pokémon. Special mentions go to Joy, dat Vanillite, and the Joltik that spent Episodes 10 & 11 perched on N's head.
- Screw Yourself: Kcalb who was created by Black seems to be awfully fond of him. Caressing his face and telling how important he is.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Kcalb.
- Ship Tease: Between Black and White. And Black and N, of course.
- Shoot The Medic: Kyurem does this to Joy in episode 23, but this has less to do with ridding Black and N of their healer and more to do with Kyurem trying to prove a point to N that Pokemon do harm other Pokemon and that humans are capable of kindness towards them.
- The splash for Episode 02 has N mimic Vanille's pose in official renders.
- In episode 03 Cheren dresses as Miles Edgeworth for Halloween. His Snivy is even named Edgeworth. In the same episode, we find out Bel's starter is a Tepig named Ms. Piggy. In episode 13, we find out that Cheren also has a Purrloin named Sissel.
- N receives his Menger sponge in episode 04; it's referred to as a companion cube.
- Episode 05 ends with an extended reference to the first episode of Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt.
- Episode 07 features "N" written in a Gothic font.
- Episode 08 features Meloetta singing Madonna's "Bedtime Story".
- Episode 10 operates on Jet Set Radio references.
- Episode 14 has Black and N wear Celty's and Vorona's outfits after transforming.
- Episode 15 has most of the Cardcaptor Sakura wardrobe in one scene, and Arti calling Elesa a stupid bitch.
- Episode 16 shows that missingno!Mary's powers are manifested through her eye, much like Black Rock Shooter.
- Episode 17 features N singing Marceline's Fry Song and Black and N in costumes from Shadow of the Colossus.
- Episode 19 then had Dirk's Darumaka do Finn's baby dance.
- Episode 20 has Black and N cosplaying as Jeanne and Bayonetta, respectively and Skyla's Swanna is nicknamed Nina.
- In Episode 21, when Black is walking out of the shower, his naughty bits are censored by Chris Hansen's face.
- Earlier in the episode, there's also a reference to the 60s Spiderman meme, in which Kcalb states, "This is bullshit. You can't ground Kcalb.
- Episode 22 is titled "Mister Despair" and has Cheren dressed as Itoshiki-Sensei.
- Episode 23 has Mr. Misnomer Alder inform Black that there's a blizzard happening outside and "Also, Kyubee is out there."
- Even before that, he describes the weather outside as frightful.
- There is also Alder calling Hachiku Hameru.
- Bel, when asking about Kyurem phrases it as "Who's that pokemon?".
- Black and Joy transform into Sailor Scouts. Later on in the chapter in the confrontation with Kyurem, N, Black, and Joy are lifted up and raised to Kyurem's level on an ice pillar a la the first season's ending, and Kyurem sends Joy over its edge, causing Black to leap after him like the ending of Super S.
- Sinister Scythe: Kcalb
- Sleep Cute: N in episode 18 until Black wakes up and pushes him off
- Snake Talk: Kyurem, since a fangirl on the board who roleplays as Kyurem has this as her Verbal Tic, influencing the author to imagine the comic's Kyurem to talk in such a manner.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The "Genesect" vs. "Genosect" discrepancy is played with.
- Split-Screen Phone Call: N calls Black in episode 02, then reaches over the dividing line and shanghais Black into helping him save Hitler from the Allied Forces.
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: Team Plasma modifies Hitler into Genesect.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Kcalb
- Take That: In the third bonus comic. "I'M GONNA SAVE BLACK FROM YOU, BUT FIRST WE READ HOMOSUCK."
- Subverted. Author!Black has stated that she "has never watched/read/whatever Homestuck".
- Talking Animal: All pokemon so far seem to be able to speak English fine.
- Team Rocket: Team Plasma, naturally. They're still being treated as somewhat threatening.
- Teasing Creator: Black-the-artist is very aware of what the fans want; episode 14 was especially aimed to make the NewYorkshippers cry. And then came episode 15.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: White's Samurott has noticeable eyelashes.
- Theme Naming: Episode 6 introduces a pair of Plasma grunts named Joseph and Mary. They have a Whimsicott named Jesus. Episode 19 introduces another trio named Adam and Eve, with a Victini named Apple.
- Tsurime Eyes: N, Black, and Cheren when they're actually drawn in detail.
- Uncatty Resemblance: All of Emmet's Pokemon smile while Ingo's frown.
- That Vanillite looks a lot like Pod, doesn't it?
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Joy is actually male.
- Unsound Effect:
- KITCHEN SINKS EXPLODING, TOILETS OVERFLOWING, TRASH CANS SPEWING SHIT TOO
- MISS! MISS! MISS!
- *NO LIGHTS!*
- *CLING FOR DEAR LIFE*
- Unstoppable Rage: Black or rather Kcalb starts one against Thundurus. He is neutralized by N but not before punching Thundurus's face in.
- Verbal Tic: Jesus uses "(you) dumbass(es)" as punctuation.
- Webcomic of the Game: Albeit with a bit of filler and many many liberties taken.
- Wham! Episode: Episode 14 with the appearence of Kcalb. The following Curb Stomp Battle against Thundurus is a prime example of Mood Whiplash.
- Widget Series: The first two chapters especially.
- A Wizard Did It: N's explanation for episode 05's Panty/Stocking shenanigans: "Quantum physics."
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Black and N dress as Meido for Halloween because there was nothing left in the store. Confusingly, judging by the tags, these costumes were meant for men...
- By episode 10 they just show up in apparel of questionable gender identity from the start.
- The author has stated that she likes traps.
- Arti and Elesa apparently have the hobby of cross dressing. Oh, and they look good in it. General reaction to this fact? 'HNNNNNNNNNNNNGH'
- Yaoi Fangirl: Fennel. And from the looks of it, possibly Bel, White, and Cynthia.