|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Birds of Steel is a flight simulator set during World War Two for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, developed by Gaijin Entertainment and published by Konami. Birds of Steel's campaign takes place in the Pacific between the United States Arm Air Force and the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service from 1941-1942. Other factions as well as their respective planes are available via single missions and multiplayer.
Birds of Steel provides examples of:
- Artificial Stupidity: Sometimes the AI will crash into each other even in formation.
- First Person Ghost: Averted, in cockpit view you can see your entire body as it interacts with the controls.
- No Campaign for the Wicked: Averted, the player can fly with the USAAF or the IJNAS.
- No Swastikas: A black X is used in its place.
- Nose Art: Both in skins and custom made nose art.
- Rare Vehicles: The Heinkel 162 and the Messerschmitt 163 are the most obvious examples.
- Scenery Porn: All the maps were generated with satellite photos, and it shows.
- Shoot the Fuel Tank: Played straight with the G4M1.
- Spiritual Successor: To IL2: Birds of Prey.
- Timed Mission: Some of the single missions as well as a few objectives are timed.
- Video Game Historical Revisionism: Done in the Dynamic Campaign.
- It's even stated in the load screens.