|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- G-Dragon (a.k.a. GD)
- Taeyang (a.k.a. SOL)
- Daesung (a.k.a. D-Lite)
- Seungri (a.k.a. V.I)
Initially starting out as a standard boy band South Korea had a few of, they started gaining success after the leader, G-Dragon, started taking creative control, and they began topping the charts thereafter. While it may not seem so, considering the band doesn't do as much interviews as other South Korean bands do, they're currently the second most successful South-Korean boy band, only behind DBSK.
Considered the most western-oriented style of music on the peninsula and adored by the critics, Big Bang stands out due to their creative control, innovatiness (being one of the first Korean bands experimenting with electronic/synthesized sounds) and independance (each member is encouraged to do involve themselves as much as possible and do solo material when they feel ready for it).
Fans tend to call themselves VIP's, based on their first single. Each member has pursued a (successful) solo career. Led rise to another famous band under YG, namely their Distaff Counterpart Two NE One and a Chinese band named Ok-Bang.
They've also been nominated as best Asian Pacific act for 2011 MTV Europe music awards - and won!
BIGBANG provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Dance-stage: The entirety of both Lollipop music videos. See for yourself.
- Auto-Tune: Their later albums especially.
- Boy Band
- Break the Cutie: Daesung, considered the most innocent member (he doesn't drink alcohol, goes to church frequently and is always extremely friendly) was involved in a traffic accident where he fatally hit a crashed motorcyclist. The group suspended activity for the rest of the year to give him time to deal with it.
- This lead to some problems with overseas fans, due to the difference between Korean and other justice systems - some wanted to see Daesung recieve a stiffer penalty (like jail) than paying a fine and taking a break.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Taeyang when taking his shirt off. Proof.
- Hates Being Touched: TOP
- Ill Girl: Invoked in the music video of Haru Haru (Day by Day).
- In Da Club: GD and TOP in "High High." ("I'm Mr.G in the club, in my B-Boy stance.")
- The Stoic: TOP rarely does any facial movement except twitch his eyebrows in any video he's in.