|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Ben: (dusts Kevin's shoulders, then smiles) There. Now, don't you look dapper?
- In "What Are Little Girls Made Of", a bored Ben repeatedly clicks the lock button of Kevin's car, eventually (just after the 4-minute mark) annoying Kevin into reaching over and grabbing Ben, causing Ben to get an incredibly gleeful smile on his face!...Later (around 9:40 in), when Gwen is in the living room talking to her parents and grandmother, the boys sit at the far end of the couch so close together that they're practically touching; note that an establishing shot proves that there's plenty of couch room and even an unoccupied chair right across from them, so they wouldn't be sitting so close unless they really wanted to!...Finally, during the fight with Gwen's grandmother, at one point an unconscious Ben ends up laying in Kevin's lap. It isn't even Subtext anymore, it's just plain text.
•The scene from the Charmcaster episode where it suddenly shows us Ben sitting alone on a beach and smiling as Kevin walks towards him from the sea, complete with oddly romantic music and sunset in the background. • Notably parodied in "Duped", where one of Ben's Clones acts like a sulky boyfriend towards Kevin. Kevin is shown to be disturbed to a comical level:"
"BEN! You have always been kind of girly, but now, YOU'RE CREEPING ME OUT!"
"We never talk about our feelings anymore!"
• And, instead of Gwen, it's Not So Stoic Kevin that's the first to run over to check on Ben after he's thrown into a wall in "Fused" and then hold his hand while helping him up, and I'm not talking that wrist-grab thing guys do, I'm talking hand holding. Made funny by the fact that minutes later he has to do the same for Gwen but just sort of pulls at her arm half-heartedly instead. • Kevin did a lot of Ben-grabbing in "Fused". When Ben goes to push a button, Kevin grabs his wrist to stop him and holds on longer than you'd expect; when Ben needs to be saved from possession, Kevin rushes in with the electrical things and after the ensuing explosion, comes out of it with Ben tucked under his arm. • The end of "Absolute Power," anyone? Gwen asks who wants to go explain to her parents why their house is destroyed, and is ignored completely as Kevin asks Ben out for smoothies. Are we sure Gwen is Kevin's love interest? • "Fame". When the lights go out. Kevin grabs onto Ben to keep him quiet, hand over mouth, leaning over him. He also went to the trouble of tracking down the guy who outed Ben (as an alien superhero). His extremely protective reaction over Ben aimed towards Jimmy (the ten year old who figured out Ben's secret identity) certainly didn't hurt.
Kevin: Why did you do this to Ben?
Jimmy: I don't understand. Do what?
Kevin: Ruin his life!
Jimmy: I would never do anything to hurt Mr. Tennyson! I'm a fan.
Kevin: (snatches Jimmy up off the ground by his collar)
Gwen and Charmcaster
- In the original series Gwen and Charmcaster, much like Ben and Kevin, had a healthy, or not so healthy, amount of Foe Yay, which included an episode where they switched bodies. While their normal Foe Yay interactions continued in Alien Force it wouldn't be till the Ultimate Alien episode "Where the Magic Happens", that the ship changes from Foe Yay to Les Yay and takes off. Gwen has to ask Charmcaster for help accessing the magic door to Ledgerdomain, once inside Charmcaster and Gwen spend the whole time bonding and by the end Charmcaster admits she no longer feels like killing Gwen.
Charmcaster: Maybe just badly hurt.
• Later in the episode when Charmcaster decides to stay in Ledgerdomain to fight the evil tyrant Adwatia on her own, after helping open the magic door back to Earth, Gwen becomes distraught and it's not tell Ben tells her they will be back to help Charmcaster that she calms down. • In follow up episode, two seasons later, Enemy of My Frenemy Gwen seems to be the only one worried about Charmcaster back in Ledgerdomain, and has to try and steal a book from Hex just to go there again. And even after temporarily killing Ben, Kevin and Gwen herself, Charmcaster becomes so broken by the failure to resurrect her father that despite it all, the episode ends showing Gwen caring about Charmcaster's feelings, worrying about how she'll fare now, and even convinces Ben and Kevin that Charmcaster had suffered enough and to leave her alone. • In the very next episode "Couples Retreat", Gwen is a lot more emotionally invested in saving Charmcaster from being used by Darkstar then anyone else even after being reminded of the events from last episode. • Finally in Omniverse as in the previous series, Gwen seems a bit obsessed with Charmcaster in "Charm School" and tries to get her to see reason after being told by a reformed Hex that there was some good left in her. • The nature of the ending to "Third Time's a Charm" also raises some eyebrows, which is Gwen's last scene in Omniverse, where she affectionately pats Charmcasters bag, which has Charmcaster inside, with a wide happy smile on her face while telling Kevin she had always wondered if she and Charmcaster could be friends in different circumstances and she now knows they will be.
- While Ben and Kevin rule the Ho Yay department, Paradox and humanized Hugo in Paradox left quite an impact, the final part of the episode, where Paradox walks an old Hugo into the time portal, to take him on the journey he didn't have the chance to go on all those years ago.
Ben: Well, at least he's got company now.