|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Bearmageddon is a comic by Ethan Nicolle, the creator of Axe Cop.
It begins with workers hoisting a dead animal out of a sewer - it looks like a bear, but most bears do not have tentacles. The only explanation is the work of a Dr. Wilson Medved, but he's dead and it's been almost thirty years since he was shut down.
Then we meet Joel, average slacker working in an electronics store. After some disagreements with his uptight boss, then with his father over rent, he quits his job to go live in the woods at the suggestion of his stoner friends, not noticing the mauled corpse lying near to the place he was cleaning...
BEARMAGEDDON BEARS THESE BEAR-LY BEARABLE TROPES
- Action Survivor: Joel's being set up for this, it seems.
- All There in the Manual: The cast page contains not just descriptions of the main characters, but also descriptions of characters who have absolutely no importance, appearing only as background characters. All of them have long, descriptive biographies.
- Alt Text
- Awesome McCoolname: Dickinson Killdeer. Just saying that name out loud gives you an extra millimeter of chest hair.
- Ax Crazy: Dickinson Killdeer is very much this way towards bears
- Bad Boss: Joel's manager, Ken. Has a pencil moustache, exactly the requisite amount of flair on his jacket and a stick up his arse the size of a fencepost.
- Cameo: Flute Cop is the supervisor of the loggers and argues with the protesters. This received an extensive lampshade in Alt Text and The Rant, and eventually ascended on his character page, where he is revealed to have Recurring Dreams of his Axe Cop counterpart.
- Cast of Snowflakes: Most background characters even have a brief description on the character page.
- Cheerful Child: Joel's little brother Louie. He thinks his big brother's awesome, even if not one adult does.
- Chekhov's Gun: The organic fuel is highly explosive. The van's filled with it. And they're carrying a trailer full of it. HMMM...
- Not to mention an oxygen tank and a tool box RESISTANT TO NUCLEAR BLAST. That will never come in handy.
- Crazy Prepared: The "Adventure Van" Joel and his friends are going to live in was "all set up for Y 2 K"; it runs on 'organic' fuel, has an extra trailer of fuel barrels and a nuclear blast-proof trunk of survival gear.
- Crazy Survivalist: Dickinison Killdeer, if the his appearance so far is any indication.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Happens here
- The Everyman: Joel.
- Everything's Worse with Bears: The Comic!
- Missing Mom: The absence of Joel's mother hasn't been explained yet.
- Mix and Match Bears
- New Age Retro Hippie: Nigel.
- Seinfeldian Conversation
- Swallow the Key: Nigel performed this to make a point to Jack. This backfired horribly when the bears showed up.
- The Stoner: Burton.
- Start to Corpse: Fairly high number, and it's a bit of a shock to see that it's going to be that kind of story.
- Suplex Finisher: "Any game where you can suplex an elk is automatically the best game on Earth".
- Ungrateful Bastard: Nigel, who wants to arrest Dickinson Killdeer for killing attacking bears.